tax question? please

Yes, I would like to know what form would I use to claim my wife and step-daughter on my 2004 tax returns.I have a extention and I need to tell my CPA act. what form is needed.He thinks I can not claim them because there are not U.S. citizen yet,is this true. thanks to all that helps me.

Thanks,

Dan M

Yes, I would like to know what form would I use to claim my wife and step-daughter on my 2004 tax returns.I have a extention and I need to tell my CPA act. what form is needed.He thinks I can not claim them because there are not U.S. citizen yet,is this true. thanks to all that helps me.

Thanks,

Dan M

149266[/snapback]

Typically there are 5 criteria that must be met to qualify as a dependent, unless things have changed since I took the CPA exam, the dependent must be a US citizen or a resident alien.

There are exception to this rule that are rather lengthy and complicated, but here's a link that may help to see if they meet the test...

http://taxes.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite....cs%2Ftc354.html

Thanks,

Dan M

149266[/snapback]

Typically there are 5 criteria that must be met to qualify as a dependent, unless things have changed since I took the CPA exam, the dependent must be a US citizen or a resident alien.

There are exception to this rule that are rather lengthy and complicated, but here's a link that may help to see if they meet the test...

http://taxes.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite....cs%2Ftc354.html

149272[/snapback]

I forgot to to mention when you get to that IRS website, click on the link to topic 851 or Publication 519, which discusses the "residency requirements".. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Dan M

149266[/snapback]

Dan,

Disregard my links, Fitnlivly's are more specific to your question.

Not to Hijack Dan's thread, but I think my question fits in nicely.

If my wife and her daughter get her before the end of the year (cr-1 and cr-2) get the temporary greed card at POE I can claim them on the 2005 taxes? Or do they have to have SSN's?

I was under the impression that if they were not in the US you could not claim them unless you could show you were supporting them abroad.

Am I anywhere near to close on these at all?

Not to Hijack Dan's thread, but I think my question fits in nicely. 

If my wife and her daughter get her before the end of the year (cr-1 and cr-2) get the temporary greed card at POE I can claim them on the 2005 taxes?  Or do they have to have SSN's?

I was under the impression that if they were not in the US you could not claim them unless you could show you were supporting them abroad.

Am I anywhere near to close on these at all?

149350[/snapback]

I went thru this for my 2004 tax year. Got my refund last week.

If you married before the end of year 2004, you can only claim your wife eventhough your wife don't live here but you can not claim your step-daughter. Your step daughter have to meet the Publication 519 (2004) year in order to claim her also.

This is a great post and will be of interest to many of us that are already married and our wives are still in china.....

Ok, I was married in Jan of this year, 2005. I can claim my SO on my taxes for this year, regardless is she sets foot in the US this year. If the Great Guz grants our wish and her and her daughter are able to come here before Dec. 31 I can claim them both?

Now lets make it a bit tricky, maybe. My SO has a small company in China. "IF" we can get some money out form her business, with out car and apt to pay for there, would we have to pay taxes on that here? There is no office of her business in the US and she doesnt do Business with anyone in the US.