Living in China IV

.........Other than driving in the wrong lane I didn't see any real problem  :)  :blink:.......

147127[/snapback]

:P There's a Wrong Lane?????? I looked to me as though it was first come first...... :P

.........Other than driving in the wrong lane I didn't see any real problem  :o  :blink:.......

147127[/snapback]

:o There's a Wrong Lane?????? I looked to me as though it was first come first...... :lol:

147480[/snapback]

So many things are similar between the US and China, but they have different meanings in each place.

I think Dan is confusing Chinese 'Road Art' with the similar markings on US streets and highways. In the USA we limit ourselves to the boundries of this art work, while the Chinese enjoy it because it breaks up the bleakness of the roads. :(

.........Other than driving in the wrong lane I didn't see any real problem  :o  :blink:.......

147127[/snapback]

:o There's a Wrong Lane?????? I looked to me as though it was first come first...... :lol:

147480[/snapback]

So many things are similar between the US and China, but they have different meanings in each place.

I think Dan is confusing Chinese 'Road Art' with the similar markings on US streets and highways. In the USA we limit ourselves to the boundries of this art work, while the Chinese enjoy it because it breaks up the bleakness of the roads. :blink:

147640[/snapback]

Exactly... :) Why limit your free expression on the road to one lane or set of rules, explore the infinite possibilities... :rolleyes: why have only 3 lanes of traffic in 3 lanes when 4 or even 5 will fit... :o

147127[/snapback]

:o There's a Wrong Lane?????? I looked to me as though it was first come first...... :o

147480[/snapback]

I think Dan is confusing Chinese 'Road Art' with the similar markings on US streets and highways. In the USA we limit ourselves to the boundries of this art work, while the Chinese enjoy it because it breaks up the bleakness of the roads. :lol:

147640[/snapback]

Exactly... :) Why limit your free expression on the road to one lane or set of rules, explore the infinite possibilities... :rolleyes: why have only 3 lanes of traffic in 3 lanes when 4 or even 5 will fit... :)

147679[/snapback]

You guys never drove in Manhattan with three car lanes on a two lane street? Or had the car on your right make a left turn suddenly in L.A.? Creative driving at its best :draw: :blink: Oh yeh, and the farmers' kids in Kentucky seeing how far they can drive in the opposing lane before someone refuses to move over on friday night in Cincinnatti?! Then there is the L.A. freeway commuteron the way home from work in his souped up street racer that has to see how fast he can dodge home without having his license suspended. Do they do road rage or drive by shootings in China? In L.A. we have both :D

147127[/snapback]

147480[/snapback]

I think Dan is confusing Chinese 'Road Art' with the similar markings on US streets and highways. In the USA we limit ourselves to the boundries of this art work, while the Chinese enjoy it because it breaks up the bleakness of the roads. :blink:

147640[/snapback]

Exactly... :) Why limit your free expression on the road to one lane or set of rules, explore the infinite possibilities... :blink: why have only 3 lanes of traffic in 3 lanes when 4 or even 5 will fit... :o

147679[/snapback]

Yes, the art work has no meaning on the roads in China. In fact I have seen that they don't even mean anything in regards to which direction a vehicle is driving, much less which lane. Parellel to the lines is so conformist. Perpendicular is OK too!! :lol:

Polite and cooperative will leave you trying to pull out from the curb all day just as sure as it would in N.Y.

Just hang a sign on the car in Chinese saying "Laowai at wheel stay clear!" That should keep a clear path for you  :D  Or you can stay to the smaller towns only. Other than driving in the wrong lane I didn't see any real problem in those. No worse than the L.A. drivers when they panic because it starts raining. :P  :P

147127[/snapback]

The LA drivers are all foreigners from back east. Practice driving in Tijuana frist and you will be just fine.