Wife moving a lot: don't want to miss P-4

My wife is currently in Beijing, having moved there from Shenzhen (May) to Changchun (June) to Tonghua (July) and now back to Beijing. We received our P-3 and I submitted our Affidavit of Support about a month ago. I also listed myself as the "Agent" since I knew Zhenshu would be moving a lot.

Now I am off to spend a month with her and we will probably not stay in Beijing (too expensive). We may travel a bit together as well.

Does anyone have any advice regarding making certain we receive any notices from the "Powers That Be" in a timely manner? It would be quite a shame if they sent the P-4 packet to me in the US while I was in China, etc. I am afraid they will send time-sensitive stuff to me in the US and I won't learn of it until I return in October.

What do you think is the best way to make certain I receive anything they send? Our daughter will be in the US at our address so she could forward anything they send to us in China, I suppose. What's the best way to get papers like that to China?

I know our situation is hardly ideal, and it would be far better if Zhenshu were in one place for the entire process, but that's just another piece of the visa tragedy pie.

Thanks for any advice.

Wally

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

If she gets the P4 in the mail, have your daughter send you the P4 stuff using Global Priority Mail at the post office. I think it is $5. Make sure the address is in Chinese. My SO sent me the her Chinese address in an email. I just print out the Chinese address and put it in the envelope (using transparent tapes)

I thought the beneficiary was supposed to receive the P4 (from Consulate) regardless of visa type?   

Can someone confirm (and I can update FAQ as needed)...

146990[/snapback]

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=i130guide1

"After the NVC or Consulate Abroad receives the above forms and supporting documents (which may not all be required to mail back at that time), an interview date will be scheduled for the intending immigrant at a consulate abroad. The NVC or the consulate abroad will send your relative a letter indicating at what time and day the interview is scheduled for, and of required forms that must be brought to the interview."

The packet will likely contain an Of-169 form, and an Of-230 part one and two forms that must be filled out by the intending immigrant. An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US).

What is this? Immigrating from Guatemala? I don't think P3 from NVC includes the I-864.

I thought the beneficiary was supposed to receive the P4 (from Consulate) regardless of visa type?   

David. Wasn't it posted here not too long ago that some petitioners have received the benficiary's appointment letter? Seems like I recall something like that. I think it was due to returned mail back to the consulate.

But yes, 99.9 % of the time the beneficiary gets the P4.

David. Wasn't it posted here not too long ago that some petitioners have received the benficiary's appointment letter? Seems like I recall something like that. I think it was due to returned mail back to the consulate.

But yes, 99.9 % of the time the beneficiary gets the P4.

147021[/snapback]

Ty, yes.. seems that a few P4s went to the petitioner, in cases where GUZ doesn't have the beneficiary address or cannot get a hold of them.

So, I guess a comment back to Wally would be to maybe email GUZ to confirm what address they have for the beneficiary as to where the P4 is expected to be sent (or confirm they are sending it to him as the agent)...

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I will try to determine what the best course of action will be for us based on the things you all have been kind enough to offer.

It's a typical "Catch-22" -- you are forced to spend a significant amount of time in China to be together and then miss the notice. This is exacerbated, in our case, by the fact that Zhenshu has been (and will probably continue to) move around a bit.

The Global Priority Mail through the USPS seems like good idea -- now if I can only get a solid Chinese address to priority mail it to!

Incidentally, I called the NVC this morning to find out the status of our Affadavit of Support and some other questions, and learned that our I129F has been approved (I knew that since I received the NOTICE), but, since the I130 has also been approved (which I also knew), the process now had to continue with the I130.

In other words, we could have shortened the process of getting my wife here if we had only filed an I129F and NOT filed an I130!

I believe my dog could devise a more rational and efficient system.

Thanks to everyone on the CFL site for your support. It's a grudging blend of "safety in numbers" and "misery loves company."

Thank you all for your advice and comments.  I will try to determine what the best course of action will be for us based on the things you all have been kind enough to offer.

It's a typical "Catch-22" -- you are forced to spend a significant amount of time in China to be together and then miss the notice. This is exacerbated, in our case, by the fact that Zhenshu has been (and will probably continue to) move around a bit.

The Global Priority Mail through the USPS seems like  good idea -- now if I can only get a solid Chinese address to priority mail it to!

Incidentally, I called the NVC this morning to find out the status of our Affadavit of Support and some other questions, and learned that our I129F has been approved (I knew that since I received the NOTICE), but, since  the I130 has also been approved (which I also knew), the process now had to continue with the I130.

In other words, we could have shortened the process of getting my wife here if we had only filed an I129F and NOT filed an I130! 

I believe my dog could devise a more rational and efficient system.

Thanks to everyone on the CFL site for your support.  It's a grudging blend of "safety in numbers" and "misery loves company."

147126[/snapback]

It is required to file I-130 prior to the I-129F anyway.. so no avoiding it.

You can go with the I-129F/K3 if the I-130/CR1 has not reached post yet (GUZ)..

If you state some more comments on where both of them are (physically) and what you want to do, some can give you some advice, particularly Ty...