New to this/need help!

Hi,

My name is Rob. I just joined this forum because it appears that there alot of knowledgable and friendly people in her who might help me in learning the process of getting my fiance to the U.S. her name is Ellen, and she is going to join as well. We are just starting out. WE are starting to download forms that we need, but obviously there are alot of steps ahead. We are hoping to make some new friends on her, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Can someone outline the steps, and advise us on any tips that we can take advantage ofto make the process move any quicker? She is in Shanghai, China. I am in Florida. And please understand that we are very new, so some of the terms and codes I see on here would need to be explained. Thanks so much in advance. Rob G.

Welcome to CFL.

For a step by step of what to do, see this link, which is in our Visa FAQ:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Feel free to ask questions about the visa for a chinese beneficiary.  You will find a lot of knowledge and help here.

139570[/snapback]

thank you for the help. Question: What is the quickest you have seen from start to finish in this process? I guess I am wondering if we do everything as quickly as possible, and don't delay anything ourselves, how long are we looking at. I know it will be an estimate, but it would still help. My girlfriend Ellen is hopingthat I might have a phone conversation, or email correspondance with you or someone who really knoes the ropes. We think it might help. Thanks in advance

Welcome to CFL.

Feel free to ask questions about the visa for a chinese beneficiary.  You will find a lot of knowledge and help here.

139570[/snapback]

thank you for the help. Question: What is the quickest you have seen from start to finish in this process? I guess I am wondering if we do everything as quickly as possible, and don't delay anything ourselves, how long are we looking at. I know it will be an estimate, but it would still help. My girlfriend Ellen is hopingthat I might have a phone conversation, or email correspondance with you or someone who really knoes the ropes. We think it might help. Thanks in advance

139572[/snapback]

The fastest possible way is if you are working in china and marry. This takes about 7-8 months.

If you file from the US, you want to be only engaged. The filing is based on where you live. If you are in the northeast, it will take about 9 month. otherwise it takes about 10-13 months.

If you want to be together, move to china. If you can wait apart, you will file in the US...

Welcome Rob. You will find friends here. We entertain ourselves to pass the time so there is some foolishness to offset the serious nature of the visa process. Have your SO check out our Chinese language forum. She can get help there from our Chinese members. The forum is fairly new but growing.

Probably the fastest way other than moving to China on a residence visa and getting married is to file K-1 visa. Unless you live in an area where you can file through the Vermont service center you can expect a wait of about a year. Kick back make freinds and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Welocme Rob and Ellen. You'll find a wealth of information here. Figure about a year from start to finish for a K-1 visa from the US consulate in Guangzhou - probably the slowest in the world. Post often, ask a lot of questions, and get to know your fiancee, and the time will pass. If you're like most of us, it will be well worth the wait.

Welcome! I think it is important to see her in person as soon as possible if you have not already met her. If this is not possible yet, write snail mail to each other to provide documentation of your relationship. You can also get phone cards that will allow you to track your calls to her and print reports.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Hi,

My name is Rob.  I just joined this forum because it appears that there alot of knowledgable and friendly people in her who might help me in learning the process of getting my fiance to the U.S.  her name is Ellen, and she is going to join as well.  We are just starting out.  WE are starting to download forms that we need, but obviously there are alot of steps ahead.  We are hoping to make some new friends on her, and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Can someone outline the steps, and advise us on any tips that we can take advantage ofto make the process move any quicker?  She is in Shanghai, China.  I am in Florida.  And please understand that we are very new, so some of the terms and codes I see on here would need to be explained.  Thanks so much in advance.  Rob G.

139562[/snapback]

Welcome Rob and Ellen. Nice to see another Floridian here. Where in Florida do you live?

:lol: Welcome Aboard Rob and Ellen :D

You have come to the right place, the wealth of knowledge here is uncomparable to anything. There are a few loose screws, but the boat is basicly watertight. Hang on your in for the ride of your life. :blink:

If you read the step by step guide, it clearly outlines what you must include in the initial packet.. and gives tips on issues like "evidence of meeting"... You are required to show you meet in person in the last two years and a combination of proof can do that (copy of passport, photos together, boarding pass,etc).

There is little you can do to speed up the process other than just submit everything perfectly correct, so that no issue turns up and they ask for something more or a different document.

I missed that you are in Florida.. so I think that means you submit through Texas Visa Center (which actually then get transferred internally to California). Fitnlivly, who posted, would be a person to watch during the process so you get an idea of how the applications sent to Texas are moving along.

Hi,

My name is Rob.  I just joined this forum because it appears that there alot of knowledgable and friendly people in her who might help me in learning the process of getting my fiance to the U.S.  her name is Ellen, and she is going to join as well.  We are just starting out.  WE are starting to download forms that we need, but obviously there are alot of steps ahead.  We are hoping to make some new friends on her, and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Can someone outline the steps, and advise us on any tips that we can take advantage ofto make the process move any quicker?  She is in Shanghai, China.  I am in Florida.  And please understand that we are very new, so some of the terms and codes I see on here would need to be explained.  Thanks so much in advance.  Rob G.

139562[/snapback]

Welcome Rob and Ellen. Nice to see another Floridian here. Where in Florida do you live?

139614[/snapback]

Hello from Florida,

I am in Cape Coral, which is across the river from Fort Myers. I see you are in Orlando. I love Orlando, and having been visiting there since I was a little boy. It is probably the first place that I will take Ellen once I have her here. How is the process going for you? Too slow I am guessing. Any advice you may pass on, would be great!

Rob Guth

If you read the step by step guide, it clearly outlines what you must include in the initial packet.. and gives tips on issues like "evidence of meeting"... You are required to show you meet in person in the last two years and a combination of proof can do that (copy of passport, photos together, boarding pass,etc).

There is little you can do to speed up the process other than just submit everything perfectly correct, so that no issue turns up and they ask for something more or a different document.

I missed that you are in Florida.. so I think that means you submit through Texas Visa Center (which actually then get transferred internally to California). Fitnlivly, who posted, would be a person to watch during the process so you get an idea of how the applications sent to Texas are moving along.

139624[/snapback]

Do you think it would help to physically drive to a location to submit? Or should I just cross my fingers? I read that if I was in the north east, the process would be quicker. I would consider flying there if I felt it could shorten the wait. Waiting a year is going to kill me!!!! Ellen is definitly worth the wait, and I will perservere, but it bothers me to think of our governments making this so hard.

Welcome to CFL.

139570[/snapback]

139572[/snapback]

The fastest possible way is if you are working in china and marry. This takes about 7-8 months.

If you file from the US, you want to be only engaged. The filing is based on where you live. If you are in the northeast, it will take about 9 month. otherwise it takes about 10-13 months.

If you want to be together, move to china. If you can wait apart, you will file in the US...

139581[/snapback]

Would it make any difference if we married over there, but I returned home? I am trying to implement a plan I have that will at least accomidate me going there more frequently, but I don't know if I could make it a sitiation where I was there for a long time as if I was living there. I work in real estate/mortgages, and teach people here on a small scale how to invest in the Florida realestate market. I have seen that there is money coming in to Florida from Shanghai. So basically, I am working on setting up meetings with real estate and financial groups in Shanghai to educate them on the concept. The bottom line is that it would put me in Shanghai more often, and help offset the costs. I really don't even care about profits and returns in this situation. I just want to see Ellen as much as possible.

What are your thoughts on me marrying over there? Would it help speed the process at all?

If you read the step by step guide, it clearly outlines what you must include in the initial packet.. and gives tips on issues like "evidence of meeting"...   You are required to show you meet in person in the last two years and a combination of proof can do that (copy of passport, photos together, boarding pass,etc).

I missed that you are in Florida.. so I think that means you submit through Texas Visa Center (which actually then get transferred internally to California).   Fitnlivly, who posted, would be a person to watch during the process so you get an idea of how the applications sent to Texas are moving along.

139624[/snapback]

Do you think it would help to physically drive to a location to submit? Or should I just cross my fingers? I read that if I was in the north east, the process would be quicker. I would consider flying there if I felt it could shorten the wait. Waiting a year is going to kill me!!!! Ellen is definitly worth the wait, and I will perservere, but it bothers me to think of our governments making this so hard.

139636[/snapback]

You must file by your living area.. SO, there is no 'dropping' off.

Mail the packet by FedEx or other tracking method.