Not Married, Staying in Hotel in Guangzhou

alaskagypsy

Some on here have said if you are not married, you cannot stay together in a hotel room in Guangzhou. Is this true. We hope to stay in the Victory Hotel.

Anyone had experience with this?

The postings I saw on this were a while back. But is of concern. Can't afford two rooms.

Thanks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We stayed in Guangzhou on a few occasions, probably about four different hotels and were never asked if we were married. They did ask to see my passport a couple of times. B)

Guest ShaQuaNew
Some on here have said if you are not married, you cannot stay together in a hotel room in Guangzhou. Is this true. We hope to stay in the Victory Hotel.

The postings I saw on this were a while back. But is of concern. Can't afford two rooms.

Thanks.

139058[/snapback]

Can't imagine anyone even asking. It's not the sort of information that one would normally volunteer, as in it's none of their business, or anyone elses whether your married and staying in the same room...

We always stayed in hotels in GZ on the 3 trips I made to visit my SO. We never had a problem except for the first night we were to stay together. I arrived at about 9:30 in the evening and we went to the hotel ( the Garden Hotel, a swank place) and I registered and then out for dinner. We returned about 11:30 and when we got to the elevator a hotel employee said my SO could not go up to my room because she was not registered... :o Back to the main desk where Luli, me and little sister Minty proceeded to argue with a succession of hotel functionaries for about 30 minutes before she was allowed to register and we could spend our first night together... :wub: :wub: The thing that really saved us was my confirmation for the hotel room which showed 2 people. Without that we might still be standing there... :blink: I also know that there are occasional hotel sweeps in GZ looking for prostitution. I would have with you all kinds of documentation about your K-1 so that if you do run into the worst case scenario at least you can show you are engaged and on your way to being married. Good Luck... B)

I think this is mostly people staying in the Youth Hostel who are having this problem. I didn't think it would really matter.

139067[/snapback]

All I can say is that it is not legal for unmarried persons of the opposite sex to share a hotel room in China in my understanding. I am sure that the likelihood of your having a problem is very small but it does exist.

Like many things this in China is in change. Laws are out dated and often just ignored. Until you get to somewhere it is enforced. These are usually rural areas. This shouldn't be a problem. Usually only one of us registered anyway. I registered in her town and she registered elsewhere unless they saw the Laowai and required the passport for reporting.

I believe the last start prohibiting two people of different race (married or not) revoked its law in the mid 1990s. Hadn't heard of anyone being arrested for it since 1970s. Virginia had the most arrests for this violation. At least the Chinese law doesn't prohibit us traveling together.

Dang, no wrestling. What is a man to do?

Seems like some people in near past were not allowed together in Youth Hostels - guess they have different standards than the rest. Maybe due to the low price, if they didn't ask for marriage certificates, prostitutes would be using the Youth Hostels.

Me and my wife, before we were married stayed in 2 different cities, and were never asked that marriage question, though I have also heard of the hotel sweeps made occassionally.... but I was asked for my passport both times.......... good luck!!!!

Ying and I have stayed in numerous hotels all over China, never had a problem, but we always register both of us. The law is that no unregistered guests are allowed in hotel room after 11:30 pm. You can find this info in almost all hotel room info books. Most of the 4-5 star hotels, especially in big cities deploy security to monitor the elevators about 11:30. If you get challeneged, a quick trip to front desk or call on radio will clear things up fast along with profuse apologies.

Thanks.

139058[/snapback]

Jen and I stayed at the Guandong Victory when there. Never got asked and never had an issue over it. :ph34r: