When we get to the US, what should we do?

Gloria and  i just got to the US, visa in hand and all, what should we do now? How can we get the process for US citizenship started.

Ross

135132[/snapback]

Congratulations to you both, and welcome to the USA, Gloria!! :o

Assuming K-1 visa

1. See jim_julian's post.

2. Get married within 90 days.

3. File for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) and get green card - likely a conditional green card.

4. File to remove conditions on green card (I-751).

5. After three years of residence, file to become a naturalized citizen - not required.

Take a look at: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Optional

1. Get SSN

2. Get Advance Parole

3. Get Work Authorization

I have no idea what my Fiancee and I will do. I'm sure I will take her around to see her new surroundings/new home. Spend time together and basically begin life together, go to Walmart, get married and livve happlily ever after.... I'm sure you will figure it out naturally

I have no idea what my Fiancee and I will do. get married and livve happlily ever after....

135167[/snapback]

Sounds just about right...

The only thing you need to be concerned with is get married before 90 days are up, make sure you file AOS. Everything else is optional.. 'cept of course like nygatl15 says, "living happily ever after..."

Filing EAD depends on if she wants to work. We did this. Filing AP if you want to travel before green card is issued. My bet is that she will have it before we need to travel, so we opted not to do this. Each additional thing you file for cost a filing fee. If we absolutely need to travel outside of US, we can file for AP before we go. Looks like AOS should be soon, we have already scheduled her finger prints and biometrics. I am guessing AOS before end of year.

I have no idea what my Fiancee and I will do. get married and livve happlily ever after....

135167[/snapback]

Filing EAD depends on if she wants to work. We did this. Filing AP if you want to travel before green card is issued. My bet is that she will have it before we need to travel, so we opted not to do this. Each additional thing you file for cost a filing fee. If we absolutely need to travel outside of US, we can file for AP before we go. Looks like AOS should be soon, we have already scheduled her finger prints and biometrics. I am guessing AOS before end of year.

135174[/snapback]

I'm sure I will do all of these things,.... it's just that, now I'm really in the place where I just going nuts waiting for her to get here. Once she gets the visa, I will make moves for the Advance parole and the work issues. I understand when she is at customs in the US, she can ask for the stamp?? to allow her to work.

Congrats Ross and Gloria!,

As CR-1 you don't need to do the Adjustment of Status or EAD. Gloria should have gotten a paper from GUZ saying that IF you checked the "I want a Social Security number issued and sent to me" block on the paperwork you will receive both that and her two year conditional "green card" (LPR) in the mail in a few weeks.

Next thing to do: Three months before expiry you should file to remove the conditions at which time a 10 year "green card" (LPR) is issued. That's the great thing about getting a CR-1. It doesn't require AOS, EAD, additional biometrics etc.

Care to fill us in on Gloria's hassles here? Was she missing the actual visa in her passport and did she return to the Consulate (access to GUZ AFTER the interview has been an issue in another thread)?

Takes at least 3 years residency to file citizenship papers for someone married to a USC. acw