Success! Visa in hand!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

muddy,thanks your answer.

So I guess GZ consulate doesn't really care if my husband has pemanent residence permit in China,they care more about if he can support me after I get there.Well,his mom will be co-sponsor,if it's neccesory,his sister will be co-sponsor too.but since he isn't paid that much while he works in China,we don't know if co-sponsor helps.

I am not a lawyer so don't take what I say as fact but I think he will definitely still need stuff to prove he's still a resident of America. Valid driver's license, any real estate or property he owns, maybe bills addressed to somewhere in the US, income tax returns--all of this stuff will be good.

I would remain "cautious" like Muddy indicates on the "domicle" issue for long term China residence holders. There are words about this issue on the Consulate or Embassy web site. Also a few recent DCFer's had a concern for this issue also- don't recall if any of the spouses was actually "grilled" about the subject. More like "Where are you planning on living?" if anything. acw

I would have posted earlier but I'm in China and candleforlove.com is inaccessible.  It wasn't until yesterday that I found the candleforlove.com site through a post on visajourney.com

Anyway, my fiancee had her interview last Wednesday, June 29th and got her visa 2 days later!!! :( The interview was actually short and sweet and since my fiancee's English is quite good everything was done in English.  The guy--super-nice, middle-aged, thin, average height, no glasses, spiky hair--asked how we met, and then he asked where I was.  She said I was outside waiting and then he asked to see my passport copy, presumably to see my residence permit which we had decided not to bring in because of domicile issues.  (I've been in China for over 2 years teaching and studying)  The interviewer said he couldn't find anything in my passport showing I was there but my fiancee said, "Why don't you come outside with me to see him?"  The guy said, "That's ok, I believe you" and handed her the pink approval slip!!!  No requests for any other documents, just my passport copy!!!  Haha, and to think of all the time I spent worrying!!!

The only complaint I have is that I had to wait outside in the humidity and heat biting my nails ALL DAY before we knew the result.  She was in there the whole morning--we started waiting at 8, the time on her letter, and she didn't get inside until around 9.  Then she came out at noon because they couldn't get to her in the morning.  She went back in at 1, and then finally had her interview around 4:30.  I must have lost about 5 pounds waiting and sweating!!! We were in Guangzhou for one week and this was the only day where it didn't rain until later in the night.  Also--it was sort of interesting--while we were on Shamian Island (we stayed at the Shamian Hotel--Shamian Bingguan) the island actually became flooded and engulfed in water so that most of the businesses there had to put sandbags in front of their doors.  I'm told that this happens maybe once every 3 to 5 years.  A good omen?  I'm sure of it now!!!

We leave for the US in a few days!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :P  :rolleyes:

PS if anyone wants the information from the P-3 or P-4 letters, to try and predict interview dates, please let me know where I should send.

133652[/snapback]

Great news, I am happy for you... my wife is still in Shanghai.... I hope to have similar outcome, except for the sweating.....

Hank

Hey, Congratulations. .. Hmmmm by the way, did you see my wife? She is the short lady with long black hair, slanted eyes, and waving a pink slip on the way out the door..

Just kidding. My wife was there the same day, but was on the train in GZ by 1pm... so we must have gotten a lucky draw.

Good luck to you and yours.

:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
I would have posted earlier but I'm in China and candleforlove.com is inaccessible.  It wasn't until yesterday that I found the candleforlove.com site through a post on visajourney.com

Anyway, my fiancee had her interview last Wednesday, June 29th and got her visa 2 days later!!! :greenblob:   The interview was actually short and sweet and since my fiancee's English is quite good everything was done in English.  The guy--super-nice, middle-aged, thin, average height, no glasses, spiky hair--asked how we met, and then he asked where I was.  She said I was outside waiting and then he asked to see my passport copy, presumably to see my residence permit which we had decided not to bring in because of domicile issues.  (I've been in China for over 2 years teaching and studying)  The interviewer said he couldn't find anything in my passport showing I was there but my fiancee said, "Why don't you come outside with me to see him?"  The guy said, "That's ok, I believe you" and handed her the pink approval slip!!!  No requests for any other documents, just my passport copy!!!  Haha, and to think of all the time I spent worrying!!!

The only complaint I have is that I had to wait outside in the humidity and heat biting my nails ALL DAY before we knew the result.  She was in there the whole morning--we started waiting at 8, the time on her letter, and she didn't get inside until around 9.  Then she came out at noon because they couldn't get to her in the morning.  She went back in at 1, and then finally had her interview around 4:30.  I must have lost about 5 pounds waiting and sweating!!! We were in Guangzhou for one week and this was the only day where it didn't rain until later in the night.  Also--it was sort of interesting--while we were on Shamian Island (we stayed at the Shamian Hotel--Shamian Bingguan) the island actually became flooded and engulfed in water so that most of the businesses there had to put sandbags in front of their doors.  I'm told that this happens maybe once every 3 to 5 years.  A good omen?  I'm sure of it now!!!

We leave for the US in a few days!!!! :greenblob:  :greenblob:  :greenblob:  :greenblob:  :rolleyes:  :greenblob:

PS if anyone wants the information from the P-3 or P-4 letters, to try and predict interview dates, please let me know where I should send.

133652[/snapback]

Dear muddy1112:

I'm not sure you can help, but my wife (a Chinese national from Shenzhen) and I (an American from WV) are currently in the P-3 stage, I suppose. We were married in January, 2005.

Zhen is currently completing the DS 230-Part I and I will send it off to NVC when I receive it.

I gather the future paperwork and timeline looks something like this: after we send off the DS 230, etc., they send us the P-4 stuff. Then, after Zhen gathers and sends off the documenation she is required to provide, and has her medical exam, an interview may be scheduled in Guangzhou.

Then the interview and, hopefully, the visa. I have completed the Affidavit of Support, and believe it has been approved (I earn well above 125% of the poverty level, and they have my W-2's).

My questions are:

1. Is there a big problem if Zhen has been moving a lot over the last 4 months? She was studying in Beijing for a month; then moved to Tonghua for a couple of months (to be nearer our daughter), and is now planning to move back to Beijing for a while. She is origionally from Shenzhen, and would probably use it as a base of operations for the interview.

Specifically, will she have troubles getting police records, etc.? Will they frown on what they may see as an itinerate life?

2. If we are already married is it likely my being there for her interview would make a significant difference? I read (on this site) about all kinds of questions regarding our communication with each other, etc., and the seemingly paranoid belief on the part of US Consulate officials that the Chinese woman is exploiting the American man, etc.

Zhen speaks little English, and my Chinese is really a beginner's level, but we do quite well with our particular mixture of the two. And we have been married (and quite hopelessly in love) for seven months. I've been to China twice to be with her.

I would actually find any question regarding our committment to each other insulting.

Do you have any suggestions about how to get the completed DS 230's and passport page copy back to me from China? FedEx? FAX. Regular mail?

We first applied in early February, 2005. What would be an "average" time for the visa? By September or October? Longer than that?

Any information you can provide would be really appreciated. This entire process is such a waste of everyone's time and lives -- so many people involved in tragedy.

Wally

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)
Dear muddy1112:

I'm not sure you can help, but my wife (a Chinese national from Shenzhen) and I (an American from WV) are currently in the P-3 stage, I suppose.  We were married in January, 2005.

. . . .

Wally

141594[/snapback]

This post was copied to start a new thread - Need a Little Help Here