The Bureaucracy Continues....

If you already married then there is reason for SS to issue a number. This is regardless of immigration status if you have a SS account. He becomes the beneficiary and must have a SSN if the situation should arise. There is no immigration status or residency requirement for SSN issuance. The requirement is that SSA recognize a need. The need is marriage to a USC with an SS account.

Dan, I'd like to learn more about this. I was always told that until such time as an SSN is actually needed to receive a benefit, SSA won't issue one. In other words, SSA would give you an SSN because at some future point in time you might be receiving benefits.

You are not the first person to suggest this, so there's probably some truth to it, but I'd like to understand it better.

This is the way I read the rules from the SSA web site. They must issue you a SSN if you have a need for the SSN because of things like medical insurance requires you to have an SSN. Also any need for the SSN must be in writing. So it is not vaild to get an SSN just because you are married and might have a need. You have to wait until the need arises and prove it.

Second, K1 is allow to work in the US, so as long as you beat the 70 day clock they should issue you an SSN. We got married within two weeks of her arrival. Then we applied for her Oregon ID and got an SSN card. All this was done in her married name. We had the wedding ceremony planned for 74 days, but went before a judge early. This was to get her an SSN before the 70 days were up.

Update on our case: we did visited another SS office this morning, and this time I asked Qisheng to hide away our wedding rings and not mention the fact that we're already married except if they asked us. It seems they don't process so many K1 cases, as the woman had to ask someone for help, finally she said all it takes is for her to send an inquiry to USCIS via her system, and once she confirms his K1 status, she will submit a request for the SSN and it will only take 8 days for the card to arrive. Lesson learned: don't believe everything they tell you..... (he, he) :blink:

Lesson learned: don't believe everything they tell you..... (he, he) :blink:

SSA yes, but that goes for CIS, DOS, NVC, Civil Surgeons, and Health Departments equally as well.... :o

Let me add some more to the list that I forgot: DMV and GZ.

-my apologies......:huh: