Since MUI is only sold in volume licencing, You can "share" the MUI pack including chinese on the edonkey p2p network, using a p2p client like emule. www.emule-project.net/ , scan all your downloads before opening them.

If ordering a new computer with OEM Windows the MUI is available, just have to do this as a special request with folks like Dell without the Volume License.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since MUI is only sold in volume licencing, You can "share" the MUI pack including chinese on the edonkey p2p network, using a p2p client like emule. www.emule-project.net/ , scan all your downloads before opening them.

If ordering a new computer with OEM Windows the MUI is available, just have to do this as a special request with folks like Dell without the Volume License.

Thanks Lee, I'm my own "OEM" though. hehe...

What was the name of the file they gave you?

I can search their ftp site for it.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/

ok, time to take a break now. I think your avitar just winked at me. :rolleyes: :wub: :lol: :wub:

Thanks Lee, I'm my own "OEM" though. hehe...

What was the name of the file they gave you?

I can search their ftp site for it.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/

ok, time to take a break now. I think your avitar just winked at me. :o :lol: :lol: :huh:

Didn't get this from Dell, my company provides my computer and as a Gold Partner we have a volume license so I just dug out the 5 CD set and started loading. :P

I have a meeting schedule with our regional reps next week, I'll try to get them to pitch the idea of making this available to the public as I know there are such a large number of visa holders coming to the US each year.

You definately need a rest, Min has better taste than to wink at you, now if Dan R told me this I'd be worried. :P

My advice is buy her a separate PC since it is very cheap now.  Sharing a PC with my wife has messed up my PC many times.  Also, when she is on, then I can't get on. :o

As much as the partitioning does sound like a good idea (and I was also recently considering this), I did conclude as Tony... her own machine would really go a long way...

Send a PM to cosmiclobster on how to get chinese XP OS if needed...

There are 2 easy ways to go.

The easiest way is to add a partition to your hard drive and install Chinese Win XP pro on it. When the PC first powers up you can select English or Chinese and even add a third partition (which is what I always do) that is specifically for shared data.

The other way is to buy 2 removable hard drive trays, for about $10 each from a place like www.geeks.com. Your existing hard drive goes in a convienent holder and plugs into a mating socket in a 5.25 " bay on your PC. You plug in your HD and you have your machine exactly the way it was. When she wants to use the PC in Chinese, she removes your HD and inserts her seperate HD in an identical slide in case that has Chinese Win XP pro installed on it. One PC, two seperate hard drives and two seperate operating systems. But you will not have the ability to share files and folders unless you have a removable media or possibly a 3rd drive to be used as data storage by both systems.

EDIT: I guess I should add that Amy preferes to use her laptop, which works out well as we can both be on line at the same time!! :lol:

I went through all of the hassle of me installing Chinese Win XP and she doesn't even use it!!!! :angry:

:lol:

yeah right....one computer...just keep switching hard drives...that's the ticket.

132908[/snapback]

In the job I previously had, this was very common for implementation folks to do this since you could have different versions of an operating system or a software version that differs.... it really opened my eyes up to the flexibility you gain with this route.. but make data sharing more difficult.

Some could use virtual server /partition software like "vmware".

In the job I previously had, this was very common for implementation folks to do this since you could have different versions of an operating system or a software version that differs....  it really opened my eyes up to the flexibility you gain with this route.. but make data sharing more difficult.

Some could use virtual server /partition software like "vmware".

133030[/snapback]

Hadn't thought about virtual machine software, currently there are 2 real players in the market, vmware which is good but awkard and virtual PC which is now owned by Microsoft.

My preference is Virual PC, had this before MS decided to buy them, much more user friendly and would probably be easier to maintain than a dual boot.

Mengxin: I thought I would post my boot.ini file to help you out, but neither of my swapable drives have one!!! :ph34r:

One of my swapable drives only has a boot.ini.backp file on it, the one with Xp and Win 98 - this is it

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\="Win 98 SE"

The other drive that had Chinese Win XP loaded on it first and English XP second has a number of boot.* files but none that are boot.ini ?!?!?

And yes, I did look in the hidden files.

Sorry, guess I'm no help at all!!!

Cosmo, If people don't know exactly what they are doing they can end up kissing there lovely windows OS goodbye and end up formatting again. Not good. I don't recommend it. ideally, I think two separate computers is best. (I have 4, just for myself. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/26.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/26.gif , never had all 4 working at the same time, but that's another story we won't talk about.)

However, if need be, You can partition your HD right from windows. It is actually better than any 3rd party vendor has to offer.

To create a partition or logical drive using the Windows interface

copied and pasted from help...

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

You can create primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives only on basic disks. You should create basic volumes instead of dynamic volumes if this computer also runs MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows XP Home Edition.

The boot.ini should look like this after loading the chinese version on the new partition. If both versions are on one disk.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="English Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Chinese Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I'm not really a computer dork, I just play one on TV.

Cosmo, If people don't know exactly what they are doing they can end up kissing there lovely windows OS goodbye and end up formatting again. Not good. I don't recommend it.

Gee, you mean they shouldn't go to a DOS prompt and type Format c:/ and then ignore all the warnings???

That's no fun!!! :P

133211[/snapback]

ya, been there , done that. got the T-shirt dude.

atleast with a format c: you skip all the stuff in the middle and get to the end result quicker. smart, very smart.http://www.allemoticons.com/Computers/Computers_comp26.gif

That takes hours off the time you would have speant trying to fix it other wise.

Cosmo, If people don't know exactly what they are doing they can end up kissing there lovely windows OS goodbye and end up formatting again. Not good. I don't recommend it.

Gee, you mean they shouldn't go to a DOS prompt and type Format c:/ and then ignore all the warnings???

That's no fun!!! :lol:

133211[/snapback]

Why would you take the slow way, just use FDISK. :lol:

This is a true story. A few years ago I was having problems with my PC. It would be fine and then in the middle of a program it would lock up. When I rebooted, windows could not find the operating system!!!

I finally traced it down to my hard drive, a Western Digital made for HP with the HP logo on it. I removed the outer cover to look at the circuit board. The PCB normally has 6 screws that A. hold it in place and B. make contact to the fingers that come from the platter assembly. Upon careful inspection I discovered that there was only one screw holding the PCB in place!!!! I know no one else had opened it up because I had to crack the factory seal and use a special kind of Torx screwdriver to get the outer cover open.

I have since put new screws in the PCB and this is the HD that I am using right now!!!

This is a true story. A few years ago I was having problems with my PC. It would be fine and then in the middle of a program it would lock up. When I rebooted, windows could not find the operating system!!!

I finally traced it down to my hard drive, a Western Digital made for HP with the HP logo on it. I removed the outer cover to look at the circuit board. The PCB normally has 6 screws that A. hold it in place and B. make contact to the fingers that come from the platter assembly. Upon careful inspection I discovered that there was only one screw holding the PCB in place!!!! I know no one else had opened it up because I had to crack the factory seal and use a special kind of Torx screwdriver to get the outer cover open.

I have since put new screws in the PCB and this is the HD that I am using right now!!!

133251[/snapback]

haha, last night I almost caught my apartment on fire. i wasn't paying attention and plugged my connector for the mic into my Mobo. Turned the puter on and the cable started smoking immeidiately. (with the brand new 2.4G P4 I just intalled.) I looked after I unplugged the cord and saw I plugged it into the USB port pins on the board. Oooops. The chip is still OK. but now I'm thinking case mod all the way. I'm gonna get me one of these instead. Oh yea baby. forget the cup holder.

haha, last night I almost caught my apartment on fire. i wasn't paying attention and plugged my connector for the mic into my Mobo.
heh heh heh Glad to hear you didn't have a post July 4th fireworks party. What kind of MoBo do you have??? There should have been a current limiting provision on the USB ports!!!