Consulate Relocation Info

Jason+Joanna

I just checked the consulate website and got this information:

Consular Section to Relocate in August 2005

The U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou is pleased to announce the relocation of our Consular Section on August 8, 2005 to Tian Yu Gardens in the Tian He district of Guangzhou. All consular services including passports and American Citizen Services, Non-Immigrant and Immigrant visas and the Adoptions Unit will be located in our spacious new facility. The Department of Homeland Security/ U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will also relocate to the new facility. We are confident that the American and Chinese public will find the new consular offices more comfortable and easier to access.

For updated information regarding the relocation of the Consular Section, please check our website at http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/ or contact the Visa Call Center at: 4008-872-333 (from mainland China) or 011-8621-3881-4611 (from the U.S.)

New Address for Consular Section:

5th Floor

Tian Yu Garden (II phase)

136-146 Lin He Zhong Lu,

Tian He District, Guangzhou

广州市天河区林和中路136-146号天誉花园(二期)5楼

Please note that the Mailing Address for the Consular Section will not change:

U.S. Consulate General

1 Shamian South Street

Guangzhou 510133

China

I wonder if this will be good or bad for interviews. I will be there for two weeks. If we dont get approval the first week, we will try get whatever else they want the next week. But from what yafei tells me, we must wait untill friday for a yea of nay, and the second friday is the 5th.

Any thoughts on the move? good, bad, or just status quo?

Jim

I wonder if this will be good or bad for interviews. I will be there for two weeks. If we dont get approval the first week, we will try get whatever else they want the next week. But from what yafei tells me, we must wait untill friday for a yea of nay, and the second friday is the 5th.

Jim

not sure what you mean by having to wait for the friday ... overcome evidence can be submitted every day between 2-3pm.. and they have two days to decide (give you a response).

Guangzhou Consulate webpage:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...hou/iv/new.html

"Our overcome document collection hours will be changed to 2pm - 3pm any Monday through Wednesday (except holidays) beginning May 16, 2005. "

The move is supposed to mean more windows for interviews... so hopefully a 'good' in terms of faster times through GUZ...

Jim

not sure what you mean by having to wait for the friday ... overcome evidence can be submitted every day between 2-3pm.. and they have two days to decide (give you a response).

"Our overcome document collection hours will be changed to 2pm - 3pm any Monday through Wednesday (except holidays) beginning May 16, 2005. "

The move is supposed to mean more windows for interviews... so hopefully a 'good' in terms of faster times through GUZ...

David, you must have gone to public schools where they taught that every day of the week was Monday thru Wednesday. :lol: :lol: ;) :lol:

Jim

David, you must have gone to public schools where they taught that every day of the week was Monday thru Wednesday. :lol: :lol: ;) :lol:

sorry.. I don't get it...

If you can submit overcome evidence on a monday, then you should be able to get reply back (yea or nay) on a wednesday.. I don't see the need to wait till friday (unless the overcome evidence is submitted on wed). Once reply comes back, it is probably another two days to 'pickup' the visa...

What am I missing here?

I have been to that section of GZ. Not bad but very crowded with horrible air.

Shamian Island was an oasis. Hopefully, this place is somewhat secluded from the busy streets in that area. It will be interesting to see. Of course, I won't be seeing it, having finished my GZ business quite a while ago. :D

sorry.. I don't get it...

What am I missing here?

They only accept overcome evidence Monday - Wednesday.

Hopefully, Jim will get everything completed the day he arrives, with a visa on Friday.

Only having 3 days a week to present overcome evidence is a bit strange.

yes agreed... strange...

it seems that they don't want to consider anything wrapping around a weekend.. decide that same week :blink: , but a holiday on a thursday and/or friday kills that theory :P

Adding 2 cents worth on relocation; Called to get the application status this mornin. Talked with a very freindly guy named shawn i think; anyway I asked him if there were any internal rumblings about the anticipated move. he replied that of course there should be some interuptions, but as far as any word, there has been none about requiring extra help or word of horrendous delay. For what its worth.

About the flight, we have been talking about setting the departure date to Seattle on the 6th day after the interview. I wanted enough lead time to make sure we can have the visa in hand taking care of any hiccups.

I will be flying on bonus miles, which is non refundable. And I will get a one way for her on NWA as well. Changes can br tough since the Narita - Seattle flight is always jammed.

Any thoughts if 6 days would be enough lead time?

Adding 2 cents worth on relocation;  Called to get the application status this mornin.  Talked with a very freindly guy named shawn i think; anyway I asked him if there were any internal rumblings about the anticipated move.  he replied that of course there should be some interuptions, but as far as any word, there has been none about requiring extra help or word of horrendous delay.  For what its worth.

About the flight, we have been talking about setting the departure date to Seattle on the 6th day after the interview.  I wanted enough lead time to make sure we can have the visa in hand taking care of any hiccups.

I will be flying on bonus miles, which is non refundable.  And I will get a one way for her on NWA as well.  Changes can br tough since the Narita - Seattle flight is always jammed.

Any thoughts if 6 days would be enough lead time?

what's the date of your interview?

in case you lose some days being near the weekend.. you have to wait at least two days to pickup the visa...

Or in case of any request for additional info, your cutting it close.

My fiancee's visa is at the original location #1 Shamian South Street.

Her interview is August 1st.

The move is:(from the P4 notification)

" Starting August 8, 2005, all interviews will take place at the new Consular Office:

5th Floor, 2nd annex of Tianyu Garden, 136-142 Linhezhong Rd., Guangzhou.

Our mailing address remains the same: #1 Shamian South Street, Guangzhou, China 510133."

[ Any thoughts if 6 days would be enough lead time?

132037[/snapback]

Depends on the day of the interview. Overcome submission is only (I believe) 1 hour per day Monday thru Wensday- also Guz CAN take two days to respond to overcome documents now. Ross just went thru a situation like this. Worst case: Interview on Wens and blue slipped, have to wait until Mon to submit overcome docs, Guz respond on Wens. subsequently pickup visa on Friday. Talking POSSIBLY 8 days or longer. Hope it's not in between the move either!

GUZ receives kickbacks from the Shamain Island hotels and restaurants maybe??? :)

It sounds like ... in this thread and others ... that, for K1 couples, the US person is accompanying the Chinese person to Guangzhou during the time of the interview. My understanding is that the Chinese person goes to the interview alone, is this correct?

I assume then that the American person is going along for moral support etc.

Am I missing something here?

It sounds like ... in this thread and others ... that, for K1 couples, the US person is accompanying the Chinese person to Guangzhou during the time of the interview.  My understanding is that the Chinese person goes to the interview alone, is this correct?

I assume then that the American person is going along for moral support etc.

Am I missing something here?

133550[/snapback]

True for K-1, K-3 and CR/IR-1. They (Guz) will NOT allow the US citizen in at the present location and cite space limitations in the consulate. Some USC's in addition to moral support want to be available for an immediate overcome document submission IF the S/O does not pass the initial interview. acw