Medical insurance

I haven't had insurance for a year or so and am in the process of signing up.  I remember reading somewhere here the difficulties of getting our new SO's signed up.  I was told by an agent yesterday that for most insurance companies, immigrants must be here 3 yrs before the qualify.

What are your experiences?

130537[/snapback]

I have already inquired about this, and all I have to do is provide copy of marriage license.... however, must do at next open season, due to some stipulation on time frame (90) days from marriage to do in season.

Big difference between getting insurance for an "immigrant" and getting your bride added to your policy.

Many things like this come down to asking the right question and then moving forward like you know what you're doing, sometimes too much information makes people look for ways to avoid doing what you really want.

It's amazing to see people avoid challenging someone who gives the impression that what they are doing is just normal day to day business, even when it is blatantly wrong. :lol:

I haven't had insurance for a year or so and am in the process of signing up.  I remember reading somewhere here the difficulties of getting our new SO's signed up.  I was told by an agent yesterday that for most insurance companies, immigrants must be here 3 yrs before the qualify.

What are your experiences?

130537[/snapback]

I have already inquired about this, and all I have to do is provide copy of marriage license.... however, must do at next open season, due to some stipulation on time frame (90) days from marriage to do in season.

134845[/snapback]

When it comes to employers, it's truly a timing issue. "Open Season", or Open Enrollment, should only come into play in this situation when the employee doesn't currently have insurance (can't add a spouse to a policy that doesn't exist), or the marriage was reported more than 90 days after it happened.

Here is the insurance that has been talked about in CFL before: http://www.imglobal.com/ . It can be bought for both of you or one of you as long as you plan to be travelling outside the country sometimes. The rates are better than what I can get elsewhere. Also there is Blue Cross catostrophic medical coverage which is for hospitolization and other big things. With the high deductibles these days that is worth looking at.

We talked about insurance (which I don't have) and will wait a little while to decide. It is a big expense and I'd rather save it. For most things I find a visit to the doctor runs 45 -75 dollars and meds under $40.00. Most clinics give a 10-20% discount for not using insurance. For serious stuff we are considering going to China where we can afford to pay out of pocket. Most auto insurance policies cover medical in an accident which would be the most likely thing big to happen outside of the catostrophic illness catagory.