lost passport and k3 visa (follow up)

My wife lost her passport and K3 visa while visiting back in China. It's been a nightware trip, but she will be back on Wed. after 7 weeks.

Here is some tips of what to do:

1. get the new passport at Beijing if you lost it there. my wife went to her hometown and it will take longer.

2. go to the DHS office at Beijing and they are the one take care of this kind of cases, but even some of embassy officers don't know about it. they will issue her transportion letter in order to get her back to the state and wait for the green card.

3. take good care of your visa and passport!! don't lose it!!

2. go to the DHS office at Beijing and they are the one take care of this kind of cases, but even some of embassy officers don't know about it.  they will issue her transportion letter in order to get her back to the state and wait for the green card.

Thanks for the info.

Just wondering whether every country will have a DHS office or not. If not, will the embassy take care of the papers?

My wife lost  her passport and K3 visa while visiting back in China.  It's been a nightware trip, but she will be back on Wed. after 7 weeks.

Here is some tips of what to do:

1. get the new passport at Beijing if you lost it there.  my wife went to her hometown and it will take longer.

2. go to the DHS office at Beijing and they are the one take care of this kind of cases, but even some of embassy officers don't know about it.  they will issue her transportion letter in order to get her back to the state and wait for the green card.

3. take good care of your visa and passport!! don't lose it!!

Did she make copies of her passport and K3 visa? 1 set of copies left at USA home. 1 set of copies in separate storage upon return to China.

To echo Bob's advice, when traveling overseas, you should:

1. Have 2 passport photos with you.

2. Have several photocopies of passport front pages and visa page with you and located in different places ( wallet, luggage, etc.).

3. Leave a copy of #2 with someone back in the states.

4. Guard your passport, leave it in hotel lockbox/safe if at all possible, in most cases if you need to show some ID, the photocopies will be fine.

Is this planning for a problem, yes. But, If your passport goes missing, you will be glad you followed the above advice.

2. Have several photocopies of passport front pages and visa page with you and located in different places ( wallet, luggage, etc.).

4. Guard your passport, leave it in hotel lockbox/safe if at all possible, in most cases if you need to show some ID, the photocopies will be fine.

Is this planning for a problem, yes.  But, If your passport goes missing, you will be glad you followed the above advice.

Good for you as you are lucky.

One thing to add; when I travel I always carry enough cash to pay our expenses and to buy a ticket home.

Also I carry a fake wallet, about $200 and old credit cards if someone is bent on robbing me.

Eagle creek has a great money belt (web style); just get rid of the plastic buckle and replace it with a "GI" one. Shoes are good too for stashing things.

A $100 bill in China goes a long way.

Happy globe trotting.

Is this planning for a problem, yes.  But, If your passport goes missing, you will be glad you followed the above advice.

Good for you as you are lucky.

One thing to add; when I travel I always carry enough cash to pay our expenses and to buy a ticket home.

Also I carry a fake wallet, about $200 and old credit cards if someone is bent on robbing me.

Eagle creek has a great money belt (web style); just get rid of the plastic buckle and replace it with a "GI" one. Shoes are good too for stashing things.

A $100 bill in China goes a long way.

Happy globe trotting.

Well not so lucky, despite planning and preparation, I have had some problems. That reinforces my conviction to be prepared for problems. The "bad" people are just more relentless than us. Let your guard down for a moment and you may be the next victim. Don't be scared, just be perpared

Your advice about having some reserve cash, money belt, keeping money divided and having a mugger wallet is also good advice, that I practice. I was focused on the passport, as that can be a major pain.