Learning English

Communications is so very important to me and I have stressed this to Ling from the beginning of our relationship. It is at the heart of intimacy for me. The first moment I stepped on Chinese soil I asked Ling to locate a translator for us. For around $25. a day I have a graduate level student English student as a translator. The student loves the conversion and is gratiful and feels honored to do it. She would probably do it for free but for $25 a day I think "what a gift". We don't need the translators near like we did but when I go back this fall I will have one everyday. I learn about Ling and Ling learns about me. Again, "what a gift".

I think it is so very important for Ling to learn English for her own happiness. She will experience life in America better.

I don't know all the resources we will use in the future. The longer I'm on this journey the more resources I learn about. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classes are fine and I would certainly recommend that. However, as an adjunct I would suggest reading, watching tv and just plain old face to face conversation. Tutors can also be helpful, but most helpful if they happen to speak Chinese as well.

Li was an English teacher in China, so her English was and is excellent. However, in preparation for living in the states, I wrote up the draft of a book of idioms and slang expressions, complete with example dialogues and vocabulary drills. It helped her quite a bit.

Everyday English is loaded with slang and idiomatic expressions and it really makes things tough for folks trying to figure out what we are talking about.

A former Candle member, R2D2, had a great time for awhile posting cowboy idioms and then having Li question me for hours about what he meant.

Still have that book I wrote in fact. If enough folks are interested, I'll try to dust it off and polish it up a bit and make it available to Candle members.

126053[/snapback]

Hi Mick,

Would love to get a copy for my laopo.... good thing you did.... now share it..... :rolleyes: