My understanding is the GUZ number is not issued until NVC has cleared the application and is forwarding it on to the consulate. So if you have a GUZ number your NVC processing is done!!! I would rattle as many cages as possible. This means they had to have misplaced it somewhere between NVC and GUZ...  Definately unacceptable. Seems like when they do this they should request a new submittal of the application and expedite it.

I would agree with this in logic, but have not seen it documented as the definite case...

Since an initial application could in principle be ultimately denied, they probably don't assign a GUZ till it is approved and ready for the consulate...

We could help to verify that by asking if anyone has ever received an RFE of any sort with the GUZ number on the letter??

My understanding is the GUZ number is not issued until NVC has cleared the application and is forwarding it on to the consulate. So if you have a GUZ number your NVC processing is done!!! I would rattle as many cages as possible. This means they had to have misplaced it somewhere between NVC and GUZ...  Definately unacceptable. Seems like when they do this they should request a new submittal of the application and expedite it.

I would agree with this in logic, but have not seen it documented as the definite case...

Since an initial application could in principle be ultimately denied, they probably don't assign a GUZ till it is approved and ready for the consulate...

We could help to verify that by asking if anyone has ever received an RFE of any sort with the GUZ number on the letter??

Whoa here! too much disinformation. Once NVC gets your petition and enters it into the system a GUZ number is issued. When we got NOA 2 I waited 2 weeks and called NVC. (wait for a live human don't use the automated system) I gave them our 13 digit service center # and her birth date. They then gave me her GUZ number and told me at what date it was entered into the system. After that I called them once a week until it cleared NVC 3 weeks later.