disaster, help needed!!

hi, guys,

My wife lost her passport and K3 visa at Beijing airport. She's going back to visit her parents. It's been 3 weeks now and she already got her new passport, but she can't come back without the visa!!

We contacted the GuangZhou immigration office, but couldn't get a firm answer about how to process this case and what can we do. One option they suggest is redo the K3 visa, my god, it will take another 10 month!!

We already filed the I-130 (approved) and I-485 (still in process) at Atlanta office. I shouldn't listen to her and let her go back. To make it worse, her K3 visa will expire on 25th this month.

I am open to suggestions. Please help!!

Tony

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tony

All I can say is that you have my sympathy and I can't believe that a simple document can not be replaced given a little time. ( less than 10 months). Hang in there and don't panic. Keep the old head a thinking. It will work out in the end. Good luck and keep us posted so we all can learn from this. Jim

How terrible for you both. My wife had her passport stolen before she got her K-1 visa and although it set us back a month everything turned out okay. There must be a way to get the visa replaced. I guess I would shake trees and bang on doors until I found the way. Our best wishes to you and your wife in resolving this.

Tony,

I'm a little bit confused by your situation. We're K-1 so I admit I'm not a K-3 expert, but I believe K-1 and K-3 are similar in that they can only be used *once* to enter the US, then that's it. Once inside the US, she can only re-enter the US after getting Advance Parole or by getting Conditional Permanent Resident status ("green card") - either the temporary stamp in the passport or the actual physical plastic card.

So what did your wife lose? Her passport with the temporary green card stamp inside of it, or Advance Parole?

If you're telling us that you let your wife leave the US with just a cancelled K-3 stamp in her passport, then ... OMG, I don't even know what to say ... Not good. Even if she had never lost her passport, she still would never had been allowed to re-enter the U.S. - original K-3 visa or not.

Guest aosnow

I would forget GZ as all they know is the "process". I would go to the nearest US consulate and speak with someone from DOS. I am sure this happens all over the globe.

I would go to the nearest US consulate and speak with someone from DOS. I am sure this happens all over the globe.

Agree..

even most lawyers will consult the first time free if the consulate is not a stone's throw... I've had a lot of luck with sending a urgent question to someone I get off the internet as well.

Geezzz Tony, sorry to hear about this. I am not sure what the answer is, but hang in there, I am sure there is one. Have you tried calling the 1-800 USCIS number for advice? :greenblob:

Not sure that would help but it's worth a try.

Keep us posted.

Guest Gene

:greenblob: Sorry to hear of your troubles, I would definently beat on doors and ring phones until I got ahold of someone who could do something other than "start over".

:greenblob: I think this should also be a heads up for the rest of us to make noterized copies of passport and visa and other irreplacable items :greenblob:

Guest aosnow

it says the loss must be reported to the issuing consulate....apply for replacement at AN EMBASSY or CONSULATE ABROAD.

Therefore, I would report to GZ, apply for replacement at nearest.