About the Chinese New Year

Charlotte

I have tried to figure this out many times since I have come over here but it still baffles me. Also, in those thirteen month years you mentioned, it is possible for a person to have two birthdays. Last year, for example, Li had three birthdays. Two in the thirteen month Lunar calendar, and then one on the solar calendar for good measure! I think she enjoyed it though. More gifts. :blink:

I told her at the rate she was going, she would soon be older than me. :blink:

A lot of old people use lunar calendar dates for their birthday. We only know our grandmother birthday on lunar calendar, so every year we have to ask when her birthday is. But if you use the 19 year formular, you will be able figure that out, no one bothered in my family.

Shanghainese have the craziest way of counting age: when a baby is born, he/she is one year old, then right after CNY, two years old. So in name, a two days older baby can be counted as 2 years old in name. My husband teases that's why I decided to come to Amercan to be younger. Nevertheless, all the official businesses like retirement or school use your real age based on your birthday. :blink:

You should know the answer to this....is there a Chinese word for 'insulation'? It's 25F outside and the heat pump has been running all night set to 30C (ya, right...like it will ever get there before summer). I'm in bed under 2 blankies and a comforter and my feet are still cold! Shanghai is supposed to be HOT! At least it was in May and October.

Have you heard anything on your daughter's visa? Hope so.   <_<

Going to Shanghai in winter does not fly even with us who were born and raised there. There is no heating system running in the buildings. People from cold country complained about Shanghai' winter all the time. The temperature does not sound too low, but the high humidity makes it twice as cold and the same problem in summer - twice as hot. The best Chinese phrase for insulation would be "Ge wen ceng" Insulation is the US invention. You may want to buy a electric blanket for your bed. It really helps and most families in Shanghai use them.

Shanghai is not a place to be in winter or summer. I went back in Aug and forgot how hot it was after 13 years --- much worse than TX! Although I miss Chinese New Year in Shanghai, believe me, I don't miss the winter in Shanghai at all.

Have a wonderful time, greetings to your beloved.

No, I did not hear anything about Lily's case. I will call before this week is over. Will let know if any.

You should know the answer to this....is there a Chinese word for 'insulation'? It's 25F outside and the heat pump has been running all night set to 30C (ya, right...like it will ever get there before summer). I'm in bed under 2 blankies and a comforter and my feet are still cold! Shanghai is supposed to be HOT! At least it was in May and October.

Don,

At least you have heat. Last year I was in Nanning and it was cold (40's). I had 4 layers of clothes, 2 thick blankets, and a portable electric-charged heater inside my blankets. The wall inside Chinese units are not insulated, especially near the windows.

Wear some socks and a hat to keep yourself warm. It is only 13 degrees F here with 11 mph wind now in Boston (5:34 PM). At least I have heat.

Shanghainese have the craziest way of counting age: when a baby is born, he/she is one year old, then right after CNY, two years old.  So in name, a two days older baby can be counted as 2 years old in name.

hehehee.... when I was 15, I satarted to account my age in Shanghainese way...

when I was 25, I started to account my age in western way! :ph34r:

Don! it's a beautiful beautiful and sunnyyyyyyyy day here today after one week clouds, raining, snow drizzling! :unsure:

... I am going to join my cats to sunbath on the balcony now! lol

Happy New Year to you all.  Hope this year of Golden Ram will bring your a lot of health, wealth and happiness together and the years to come!

All the visas coming in the year of RAM will glitter with gold!

Good luck and happy year ahead -- more specifically --- Happy Feb for all of us!!!

:D  :(  :P  :)

Hi Charlotte,

Happy New Year too. You should hang your icon up-side down for good luck.

Hi Charlotte,

Happy New Year too.  You should hang your icon up-side down for good luck.

Thanks, Tony. I know hanging the upside-down mean - Fu dao -- fortune has just come. But I prefer this way (Zheng Fu) mean - I am right in luck and don't want to change any if I can help it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Seriously, I feel very lucky and fortunate from the moment I landed on this continent. Americans have been very good to me; no complaints!!!

Hope all your beloved will have better luck and fortune in this country!