Gifts for the Wife

I'm seeing my wife in 2 weeks!!! :greenblob:

I have gifts for mother, brothers, sisters and my new daughter, but what is a special present for her? When I ask her she only says "You". Very loving, no help. Anything I mention she says "We buy here" or "Do not spend money on me".

I'm speaking in broad terms here. Anybody have experience with gifts from the USA (and not made in China) that are considered "special"?

Also what are the DON'Ts? Is it not OK to buy your wife lingerie? Clothing?

My fiancee likes to receive gifts, but doesn't like me to spend very much as well. These are some of the things I have given her:

I gave her a necklace of her favorite flower. She doesn't like gold because of the color so the necklace wasn't very expensive.

Another time, I also gave her a fancy key ring with initials on it. The initials were of a pet (romantic) name. Again, not very expensive.

This one was more expensive but well worth it. I gave her a digital camera. It wasn't a fancy camera but it was a good brand and has Chinese menus. I like it because she can send me pictures of herself and where she goes. She likes it because she didn't have a camera and she likes to send me pictures too.

Other things you can do are to buy art supplies and make some funny / romantic gifts. Those really are inexpensive (except for time) and are very meaningful.

Another simple one is to burn a CD with your favorite songs on it.

My fiancee always teased me that she wants a Porsche when she comes here so I sent her a Matchbox sized Porsche.

If you can think of something personal, that is good too. My fiancee needs to use extra soft toothbrushes. I send her a children's toothbrush every 3 months. Not expensive, but the thought is there.

You can pick up an engraver for $15 or so and personalize almost anything.

Hope this helps,

Mark

I'm seeing my wife in 2 weeks!!! :D

I have gifts for mother, brothers, sisters and my new daughter, but what is a special present for her?  When I ask her she only says "You". Very loving, no help.  Anything I mention she says "We buy here" or "Do not spend money on me".

I'm speaking in broad terms here.  Anybody have experience with gifts from the USA (and not made in China) that are considered "special"?

Also what are the DON'Ts? Is it not OK to buy your wife lingerie? Clothing?

The most requested items from the US for Jingwen's family are American ginseng and supplements (shark liver oil, vitamin E, etc.) Not very personal, but always appreciated.

Apparently, Wisconsin ginseng is considered the best there is - far preferable to anything currently available in China. But, it ain't cheap.

American liquor and cigarettes are also appreciated, but you may object to such gifts.

Because of personal tastes, I would not recommend buying clothing. Jingwen is very particular about what she wears, and I would never presume to know what she likes. :greenblob:

The only gift she really waits for from me is a bottle of her favorite perfume. It costs only a little more in China but it is hard to find it not watered down. She now lets me know she has run out.

Clothes were appreciated mostly because it taught her what I like on her. But because of fit problems and the "everything is cheaper in China" thing that stopped.

Honestly, Victoria's Secret went over pretty well for me during my last 2 visits. Nothing too racy, but Wei was thrilled, and was even showing her girlfriends, whose SOs never do anything romantic for them.

If you go with anything electronic, make sure you know your SO's 'Made in China' vs 'Made in Japan' preference (i.e. Canon).

Skin care products seem to be a hit, too.

Guest blsqueaky

I know that when my wife still lived there, she enjoyed chocalates, made here in Ohio, plus fish oil vitamins and ginseng. In fact now that she is here, she is always sending home Ginseng and Fish Oil capsules that she get from Wal Mart

Plus she also love Fredricks, she says Victoria too expensive

Victorias' Secret is always welcomed of course, their body creams are great and perhaps you can buy her some cute little boxers. Lady Godiva's chocolates are great also, I always bring a box with me when I visit China and my SO loves them! Lingerie, why not??

Thank you everyone! Such great ideas!

I did buy our Mother two boxes of American ginseng because a Chinese friend said it was the best 'balanced' of all of the ginseng types. (And would give her 'bragging rights' with her friends.)

I collect coins. So for her siblings I purchased from the US Mint the Texas state quarter spoons. Not fancy, maybe a little cheezy, but they aren't made in China :lol: as was my beloved Longhorn hat.

The yellow boxes of Whitman's Sampler chocolates also make good gifts to hand out to family/friends.

I agree on the skin care products. I just sent over a parcel of Neutrogena products. I imagine they are available in China at prices similar to here. But they mean more coming in a box from America.

My wife has also taken up the habit of flossing, and she loves the mint-flavored kind, so periodically I try to send a few packages of that. The problem is, last time, her friends saw it and liked it so she gave a lot of it away.

My wife has also taken up the habit of flossing, and she loves the mint-flavored kind, so periodically I try to send a few packages of that.  The problem is, last time, her friends saw it and liked it so she gave a lot of it away.

james set up a shop and sell it grin call it the Floss shop

might pay for the trips

:D :D :D :D

robert

My wife has also taken up the habit of flossing, and she loves the mint-flavored kind, so periodically I try to send a few packages of that.  The problem is, last time, her friends saw it and liked it so she gave a lot of it away.

james set up a shop and sell it grin call it the Floss shop

might pay for the trips

:D :D :D :D

robert

That is a damn good idea!

Except I'd probably have to buy it for $1 a pack here and sell it there for the equivalent of like 25 cents a pack. You'd have to use some kind of quantum physics equation to make a profit doing that.