SO Background check

My SO works at a Government job in Shenzhen. She works for the Bureau of culture, and Bureau of Press & Publication. I believe lots of people work in Government jobs in china and hope that this will not delay any of her paperwork for the K-1 visa.

Does anyone have any insight to this?

Hi don,

I don't have an answer for you, but glad to see you got the I-129F sent off... I know you were debating the K1vsK3 thing... Going through CSC could mean a 10-12 month process.

Your thinking that they might purposely delay her based on being a gov't worker ?

I hope not... best to you.

Guest fhtb

Is she is a communist party member? If so, you will have to apply for a waiver of Section 212 ineligibility. You can actually start the waiver process before her interview. Contact Guangzhou after she gets her P4 and they'll tell you how.

Other than that, my guess is you will have no problem, unless she has a history of running over students with tanks...

Dave thanks for your reply, I made a mistake on my signature. I sent my I-129f to Vermont. Also I do not believe she is a communist party member, her job is to answer questions the public has and also assist with publication materials..... :P

My SO works at a Government job .... hope that this will not delay any of her paperwork for the K-1 visa.

I'm also in this situation and I would like to hear from anyone who knows more.

If no one has ever heard of this being a problem, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Dave thanks for your reply, I made a mistake on my signature. I sent my I-129f to Vermont.  Also I do not believe she is a communist party member, her job is to answer questions the public has and also assist with publication materials..... :lol:

wow.. you just shaved off a few months with changing one letter. :D

I sent my I-129f to Vermont.

Your journey just started, and good luck first.

I sent I-129f to VSC at the end of last july and I think VSC is the fastest one, also it may totally take your SO to get visa (I guess K1 here) in approx 8 months if everything processes smothly.

How long does it take to get NOA1?

NOA1 is almost immaterial.. if you get one... I never did and thought I remembered another saying they did not...

But through VSC:

NOA1 - in under a week, just says they got it.

NOA2 - in under a month, says your approved.. and you'll need to give to SO for interview (?).

OK, another thing to worry about!!! What is this waiver of section 212 ineligability? Is this really necessary? My husband is a member of the communist party. It was my understanding that most government workers in China were members of the communist party, at least those I had met. I thought this is a really common situation and wouldn't be a problem.

I just found this information about Section 212 ineligability. I am not going to worry about this anymore because of the exception of involuntary membership for purpose of obtaining employment.

(i) In general.-Any immigrant who is or has been a member of or affiliated with the Communist or any other totalitarian party (or subdivision or affiliate thereof), domestic or foreign, is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception for involuntary membership.- Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether necessary for such purposes.

Guest blsqueaky
My SO works at a Government job .... hope that this will not delay any of her paperwork for the K-1 visa.

I'm also in this situation and I would like to hear from anyone who knows more.

If no one has ever heard of this being a problem, it's probably nothing to worry about.

It's really not an issue. People have to work somewhere.

My wife his now here, and she is a retired teacher wth the gov't, did not affect her app, in fact, I think that it helped