Pick up visa from Post Office

so the old procedure was to pick up your visa the following day.

the new procedure is to wait 3 days and hopefully pick it up at the post office?

and what happens for those white slips turned blue? do we now have to wait 3 days to learn if we actually get the visa, or a blue slip?

What the heck are we supposed to do in Guangzhou for 3 days?!?

Is there anything worth seeing?

How far is it to Shenzhen?

- fhtb

WTF??? MotherF*()&)O*&'s What now? We have waited long enough for one little stamp and now they throw this NEW requirement into the mix? I have alot more cursewords to say that are definitely NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT! They, US Embassy, have no clue about the real world and relationships. They think they are doing us a favor eventhough we support the government through our hard earned dollars with the payment of taxes. F*)(U them. Maybe it is time to change nationalities?

This is the straw that broke my camel's back. I am sorry for the outburst but I just had to have a release. This is all coming from one who is sworn in to protect this country at any cost and has served 8+ years in the military therefore asserting that promise. Are we just like a big corporation who forgets it's roots? They need to remember who we are as a country and where we all came from!

I am off my soapbox now but not feeling any better. If anyone wants to call me now so that I can pretend the caller is from the US Gov't, please do so and I will give you a piece of my mind! Click here for my screams

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like this will give GZ 3 more days to re-think the visa and give more cause for rejection. Don't like this at all.

I do think this particularly extra time is an odd place to put it... They could of given VOs more interview time.. but here, they still must make their decision in the 5-7 minutes allotted.

One would hope that they don't take the idiotic step of issuing more pink slips, so they can use the 3 days to review in more detail the case.

Seems like this will give GZ 3 more days to re-think the visa and give more cause for rejection. Don't like this at all.

I do think this particularly extra time is an odd place to put it... They could of given VOs more interview time.. but here, they still must make their decision in the 5-7 minutes allotted.

One would hope that they don't take the idiotic step of issuing more pink slips, so they can use the 3 days to review in more detail the case.

I am taking this as a good thing. By removing visa pickup from the Consulate they would be freeing up staff that may be shifted to translate for interviews. Thus our hope for more VO's may be answered.

Also after dealing with GUZ for so long who would you want controlling the passport? Dear old Guz or the Chinese Post Office? THe next positive thing I can think of is that our SO's don't have to go back to the Consulate a second time.

Besides they haven't said anything about a procedure for holding visas after approval. So it is my hope this means it is ended. Once they say pass you can weaqr a pink slip, it would seem that is it, since it will be stamped and handed over to the PO. If this is the case we should all sigh with relief. THat would make a pink slip the end of the road after which they have no way to fool with us anymore.

I am taking this as a good thing. By removing visa pickup from the Consulate they would be freeing up staff that may be shifted to translate for interviews. Thus our hope for more VO's may be answered.

Also after dealing with GUZ for so long who would you want controlling the passport? Dear old Guz or the Chinese Post Office? THe next positive thing I can think of is that our SO's don't have to go back to the Consulate a second time.

Besides they haven't said anything about a procedure for holding visas after approval. So it is my hope this means it is ended. Once they say pass you can weaqr a pink slip, it would seem that is it, since it will be stamped and handed over to the PO. If this is the case we should all sigh with relief. THat would make a pink slip the end of the road after which they have no way to fool with us anymore.

Shifted to translate for interviews.. but doesn't that assume that GUZ might be saying [in effect] it's ok for the beneficiary to NOT speak english ?

Isn't visa pickup from 4-5pm ? I understand by shifting the visa pickup, they probably shift some other responsibilities too.. But how many hours are really be freed up would be interesting to know.. and where those hours get shift to, for what tasks.

Maybe more interviews.. maybe interviews start earlier than 1:00pm.

I can't quite see your point about the pink slip is a done deal [after given].. If the interview times are still the same and daily quotas are still the same, nothing has changed to help assure the VO that this is truly a pink slip.

I would assume that the changes are meant to be positive.. I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet...

I'll throw in a "glass half full" possibility. Maybe by doing this, it will free up the consulate to handle more interviews per day. They won't have to worry about pick up traffic. It does sound better than what I originally thought. I thought it would mean that visas were to be mailed back to the SO's residence which would have ment Jen going to GZ, and then having to go all of the way back to Fushun, and wait for the post office. Shoot, I haven't seen my lovely bride in over a year and a half now, ;) I won't mind 3 days in GZ with her. I'm sure we will find something to do. :wub:

I am sure glad I am done with GZ. The shell game they play by constantly changing the system is crazy. Perhaps it will make things more efficient but it seems to me they are just adding more stress to a high stress situation by making people wait 3 more days fearing an approval turning into a denial. That on top of the added expense. I also fear that by having the china post involved it is more vulnerable to theft and corruption.

"I am here to pick up my visa". "hmmm I can't seem to locate it right now but if you were to pay a 5000 RMB fee perhaps we could find it faster"

The chinese government, even the postal dept, has no business being involved in the processing of US consular affairs.

It just occurred to me that when they do change their minds about giving someone a VISA, people probably get pretty angry.

Maybe part of their motivation in having the "pickup" occur at a 3rd party is so they don't have to deliver bad news in person. Government officials love to pass the buck.

There's two posts going about the pink thingy.. so it's a pain to follow each thread !

I commented there, that previous to the change to pink (when white was it), there was a pink slip which told you want they wanted (as part of getting the blue slip).

I had some sort of mordid thought that they might start issuing more blue slips (they didn't give them any more time in the interviews from what we can tell, and it's obvious that most of their blues are turned to white in the past) ... and then would have three days to internally evaluate it as needed, and turn it back to pink at your pickup.

Or I thought, maybe the pink is just now used as both the [old] white and blue... the pink will simply say if you pass or not..

Both of these are stupid.. so, quite possible...

There's two posts going about the pink thingy.. so it's a pain to follow each thread !

I commented there, that previous to the change to pink (when white was it), there was a pink slip which told you want they wanted (as part of getting the blue slip).

I had some sort of mordid thought that they might start issuing more blue slips (they didn't give them any more time in the interviews from what we can tell, and it's obvious that most of their blues are turned to white in the past) ...  and then would have three days to internally evaluate it as needed, and turn it back to pink at your pickup.

Or I thought, maybe the pink is just now used as both the [old] white and blue... the pink will simply say if you pass or not..

Both of these are stupid.. so, quite possible...

With three days they don't have extra time to think (nope not going there- slap).

The visa is picked up from Chinese P.O on third day. It must still be sent out theday after interview. So not only did they not gain extra time (control of the post interview) but the question is will the P.O be handing out rejections? There is no mention of that. Perhaps the decision by the VO when the slip is handed is actually final as it should be.

This has been my experience over the last few days on the postal deal.

Two days ago at 2:00pm I obtained a visa approval for a client (no snickers allowed because of what some of you might think of lawyers :ph34r: ) with new type paper work. Took it to the designated post office that day to register it and pay the in-person pickup fee, 20RMB. Yesterday I picked up the visa package.

Yesterday, I obtained 3 visa approvals and proceeded to the post office to register them. Cannot pick up the visa packages today because the IV unit did not deliver them to the post office personnel. I think I can pick up the visas tomorrow, but at a different post office. You will get directions and it is not far away, but off island.

Today the same routine.

Visa overcome refusals remain the same, blue sheet plus whatever else the IV unit gives out.

One or two hooks in this. After one visa approval from yesterday, today the IV unit wanted the case back to hold it up for fingerprints, but the approval was not withdraw.

I cannot tell yet if the delay will be 3 days or less like the first visa I obtained.. I think it will depend on how the system works.

I don't know how the mailing by EMS will work. It cost a bit more. I would worry about lost mail until EMS proves itself. Then if it is okay it might be that just going to your SO's home and waiting for the EMS package might be the best thing. Just a thought at this point.

This has been my experience  over the last few days on the postal deal.

Two days ago at 2:00pm I obtained a visa approval for a client (no snickers allowed because of what some of you might think of lawyers :ph34r: ) with new type paper work. Took it to the designated post office that day to register it and pay the in-person pickup fee, 20RMB. Yesterday I picked up the visa package.

Yesterday, I obtained 3 visa approvals and proceeded to the post office to register them. Cannot pick up the visa packages today because the IV unit did not deliver them to the post office personnel. I think I can pick up the visas tomorrow, but at a different post office. You will get directions and it is not far away, but off island.

Today the same routine.

Visa overcome refusals remain the same, blue sheet plus whatever else the IV unit gives out.

One or two hooks in this. After one visa approval from yesterday, today the IV unit wanted the case back to hold it up for fingerprints, but the approval was not withdraw.

I cannot tell yet if the delay will be 3 days or less like the first visa I obtained.. I think it will depend on how the system works.

I don't know how the mailing by EMS will work. It cost a bit more. I would worry about lost mail until EMS proves itself. Then if it is okay it might be that just going to your SO's home and waiting for the EMS package might be the best thing. Just a thought at this point.

um.. more questions... more concerns ... more fees..

BIG CORRECTION.

As mentioned on another thread, if the visa applicant lives OUTSIDE Guangdong province they must come to Guangzhou to pick up the visa package at the designated post office. Only applicants who live in Guangdong have the option of picking up the visa in person or having it mailed.

Here's an idea:

Once the interview rite of passage has been completed, why don't they stamp your passport at that time and give you the needed paperwork?

Wow, am I genius or what? They should hire me as a streamlining expert so that I could enhance their governing and leadership with a very important trait that seems to be missing from everyone in their senior staff, COMMON SENSE!

And another thing, Another fee to get something that we already paid for with application fees, travel fees, hotel fees, phone call fees, taxes, and many other fees while waiting the months/years to get our SO to the U.S. is totally out of control! Now we have an additional travel fee because we must wait at a hotel for 3+ more days. (aka get their heads out of their A**)

What concerns me is that when more hands touch the documents, the more things are likely to screw up - documents not getting delivered on time, theft, documents getting misdirected, etc.

Would someone clarify if it is just the brown envelope that it being re-directed or is it the passport and visa too. If passports/visas are being delivered as well, I think the risk factor goes up. What do you think a passport with a valid US visa in it is worth on the black market these days?