EAD renewal

My wife's EAD will expire on 9/7/04. Since the AOS interview is on 11/3/04, I submitted (I-797) on 8/1/04 to renew her EAD. However, it will take 60-90 days for renewal. Can she continue working while waiting for the renewal? Or she has to stop working on 9/7/04.

Conclusion: Don't wait for the very last minute.

This is incredible. Because they are so innefficient that they can't process a simple case like this within a year your wife has to quit her job? I believe I would have to contact my congressman and senators over that. It is simply outrageous. Not that they would care but it is someone to complain to.

Tony, I think that is flat wrong!

Try the SSA website and see if you can find the employer's handbook on hiring aliens. Or, their FAQ. I know I read somewhere that filing a timely renewal satisfied the requirement to continue working.

I got this email from SSA today.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and

Immigration Services (CIS) is the authority on all matters relating to

immigration and naturalization.

You can call the DHS toll-free at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833) for

automated information and live assistance concerning immigration services

and benefits within the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin

Islands. If you are outside these areas, please contact the closest U.S.

Embassy or Consulate.

If you prefer, you may call or visit your local CIS field office.

Information about CIS field offices can be found on the Internet at the

following web site:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/alphaa.htm

I called BCIS this morning and the rep said that she has to stop working.

Those info people are not immigration officers and have been wrong on many occasions.

I agree with that.

Actually, the BCIS recommends that you apply for EAD renewal 6 months before it expires. And it takes about 3 months before you receives the original EAD. What happens when your AOS is approved prior to the EAD expires? Then you just throw away $175 for the renewal. They sure know how to make money off immigrants who really need money to survive.

I don't know about where you have to file Tony. Each office is different. We filed for EAD at the local office here in Portland. Because we didn't mail it in we were issued the EAD that same afternoon. Quite easy. We turned in the documents and were told to come back at 2:00 PM. We went and had lunch then came back took the photo and was given the card. Perhaps if you went to your regional service center they could renew it right away. Worth a shot anyway. Good luck.

I don't know about where you have to file Tony. Each office is different.  We filed for EAD at the local office here in Portland.  Because we didn't mail it in we were issued the EAD that same afternoon.  Quite easy.  We turned in the documents and were told to come back at 2:00 PM.  We went and had lunch then came back took the photo and was given the card.  Perhaps if you went to your regional service center they could renew it right away.  Worth a shot anyway.  Good luck.

They change the rule and I got screw.

-------------------------------------------------

"For those applicants wishing to submit applications for adjustment of status (I-485) to the Boston office, please note effective February 13, 2004, the Boston district will no longer process I-130/I-485 applications or any application submitted in conjunction with an I-485. This includes I-765 employment applications and I-131 travel permission applications. We will accept the applications by mail or in person, with fees attached and forward them daily to the National Benefit Center in Chicago, Illinois for processing."

That is the way it used to be in Boston, also. We got our EAD & AP same day we applied. However, since this system was working very well no wonder they changed it. Imagine the horror when the BCIS found out that people were actually getting documents the same day they applied for them.

So I am sure they said we will fix those sons of b's in Boston. Now you have to send everything to Chicago, and wait several months. I believe they call that "JOB SECURITY now they can wait months & months like everyone else!!!