My Guz experience

Where do I begin??? It had been long¡­ time since I file the I-130. It was back in early 2007. I did not send much proof of evidence to USCIS except marriage

certification. I think?? The I-130 was approved and it was sent to NVC. From NVC to Guangzhou consulate. The package(papers) sent from NVC to Guangzhou consulate was not that big since there was not much evidence. The CR1 interview was in July 2008.

A little background

The first time I met my wife in Mar 2006 via phones. My parent and brother met her in person in 2005. We been exchanging e-mail and talking on the phone for 8 months. We got marry the first trip I got back to China in Nov 2006. While my family and I was in China we visit my parent homeland and also took pictures. We went to Hong Kong, my birthplace, visit the "peak" and also took pictures. I filed the I-130 when I came back to the States. After the trip we continue to exchange e-mail and talk on the phone.

Day of the Interview

Result:

We hired a lawyer "firm" in Guangzhou to see if he can delay the Consulate from

sending the case back to USCIS and also try to help us submit more evidences. We never saw the lawyer face to face. We deal with his "sidekick". We ask to see him but the "sidekick" gives us the ring around!! We were doomed. As of today we are not sure if the "firm" submits our evidences to the consulate or did they did anything for us. The "firm" also ask me to come back and try to get any info from the Consulate. I came back to China August 2008. WASTE of time seeing the Consulate. The consulate told me case is close and being send back to USCIS. Lawyer = WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. We cancel the "firm". I went back home and wait for reply from USCIS. Also went to places and took pictures.

My Reasons for Denied: (In this order)

1. Less travel to China. Beside the Marriage, 0 time to China <== Main reason

2. wife bring less evidence(photos, e-mail, phone record, cards(Birthday,Valentine, Anniversary)) to the interview

3. Did not file joint tax return

Several months have passed since the interview and no word from USCIS. It was not until Mar 2009 that the case was received by USCIS. They send a letter asking me to submit more evidence. I brought a portfolio from Staples.

The portfolio contain:

1. Copy of 2007 and 2008 "joint" tax return

2. Copy of parent, brother (showing there went back to China for the marriage) and my passbook

3. My wife and my emails

4. Copy of phone and mobile record

5. Copy of receipt of moneys sends to wife

6. Copy of shipping package labels

7. Copy of wedding purchase(photo studio, furniture, banquet, ring)

8. Copy of flight itinerary (Nov2006, Aug2008)

9. Copy of pay stub (new job)

10. Copy of Cards (Birthday, Valentine, Wedding Anniversary, Christmas)

11. Copy of Hotel receipt

12. Many pictures

I mail a letter(explaining there is bona fide) and the portfolio to USCIS. The day USCIS approve the I-130 is also my wife's birthday!! This could be a good omen. Which is in Oct. Our families and we were happy because the case is send back to Guangzhou. Before the 2nd interview date I visit my wife in Feb 2009. I did not stay long. I stay for a week.

It was odd, the consulate called my wife in March 4. Saying why she did not come to the interview on March 3, 2010. My wife told her she never received the appointment package. The consulate says it was send to the "firm". It was strange the "firm" called my wife four week before the interview if she needs any legal help. The "firm" never told us there receive our package. There already knew the interview date. The consulate told us to write a letter stating that we have no legal representation in order for them to re-mail the appointment package. My wife and I have to sign it. Since I was in US I have to write up the letter, sign it and mail it to her. After all was done we got our interview date. It was the day before my birthday day!!

On the day of the Interview

The appointment was at 7:15am. When we got there peoples were waiting in line. We waited 30 min. outside before my wife went to the 5th floor. Her dad and I waited on the 4th floor. Around 10:00am my wife comes back downstairs. She says she has to sign Form DS-230. We already signed Form DS-230 from the 1st interview. Maybe there need an update one. She says she has until 10:30am to return with the sign form. So I hurry and completed the form. She did not come down until 12:45pm with the good news. PINK¡­APPROVED. During the interview, the interviewer (she) did not ask many questions. Much of the time she look through paperworks. I think the paperwork is the evidences I sent to USCIS.

My wife is arriving this Saturday, 7-24-2010.

Where do I begin??? It had been long¡­ time since I file the I-130. It was back in early 2007. I did not send much proof of evidence to USCIS except marriage

certification. I think?? The I-130 was approved and it was sent to NVC. From NVC to Guangzhou consulate. The package(papers) sent from NVC to Guangzhou consulate was not that big since there was not much evidence. The CR1 interview was in July 2008.

A little background

The first time I met my wife in Mar 2006 via phones. My parent and brother met her in person in 2005. We been exchanging e-mail and talking on the phone for 8 months. We got marry the first trip I got back to China in Nov 2006. While my family and I was in China we visit my parent homeland and also took pictures. We went to Hong Kong, my birthplace, visit the "peak" and also took pictures. I filed the I-130 when I came back to the States. After the trip we continue to exchange e-mail and talk on the phone.

Day of the Interview

Result:

We hired a lawyer "firm" in Guangzhou to see if he can delay the Consulate from

sending the case back to USCIS and also try to help us submit more evidences. We never saw the lawyer face to face. We deal with his "sidekick". We ask to see him but the "sidekick" gives us the ring around!! We were doomed. As of today we are not sure if the "firm" submits our evidences to the consulate or did they did anything for us. The "firm" also ask me to come back and try to get any info from the Consulate. I came back to China August 2008. WASTE of time seeing the Consulate. The consulate told me case is close and being send back to USCIS. Lawyer = WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. We cancel the "firm". I went back home and wait for reply from USCIS. Also went to places and took pictures.

My Reasons for Denied: (In this order)

1. Less travel to China. Beside the Marriage, 0 time to China <== Main reason

2. wife bring less evidence(photos, e-mail, phone record, cards(Birthday,Valentine, Anniversary)) to the interview

3. Did not file joint tax return

Several months have passed since the interview and no word from USCIS. It was not until Mar 2009 that the case was received by USCIS. They send a letter asking me to submit more evidence. I brought a portfolio from Staples.

The portfolio contain:

1. Copy of 2007 and 2008 "joint" tax return

2. Copy of parent, brother (showing there went back to China for the marriage) and my passbook

3. My wife and my emails

4. Copy of phone and mobile record

5. Copy of receipt of moneys sends to wife

6. Copy of shipping package labels

7. Copy of wedding purchase(photo studio, furniture, banquet, ring)

8. Copy of flight itinerary (Nov2006, Aug2008)

9. Copy of pay stub (new job)

10. Copy of Cards (Birthday, Valentine, Wedding Anniversary, Christmas)

11. Copy of Hotel receipt

12. Many pictures

I mail a letter(explaining there is bona fide) and the portfolio to USCIS. The day USCIS approve the I-130 is also my wife's birthday!! This could be a good omen. Which is in Oct. Our families and we were happy because the case is send back to Guangzhou. Before the 2nd interview date I visit my wife in Feb 2009. I did not stay long. I stay for a week.

It was odd, the consulate called my wife in March 4. Saying why she did not come to the interview on March 3, 2010. My wife told her she never received the appointment package. The consulate says it was send to the "firm". It was strange the "firm" called my wife four week before the interview if she needs any legal help. The "firm" never told us there receive our package. There already knew the interview date. The consulate told us to write a letter stating that we have no legal representation in order for them to re-mail the appointment package. My wife and I have to sign it. Since I was in US I have to write up the letter, sign it and mail it to her. After all was done we got our interview date. It was the day before my birthday day!!

On the day of the Interview

The appointment was at 7:15am. When we got there peoples were waiting in line. We waited 30 min. outside before my wife went to the 5th floor. Her dad and I waited on the 4th floor. Around 10:00am my wife comes back downstairs. She says she has to sign Form DS-230. We already signed Form DS-230 from the 1st interview. Maybe there need an update one. She says she has until 10:30am to return with the sign form. So I hurry and completed the form. She did not come down until 12:45pm with the good news. PINK¡­APPROVED. During the interview, the interviewer (she) did not ask many questions. Much of the time she look through paperworks. I think the paperwork is the evidences I sent to USCIS.

My wife is arriving this Saturday, 7-24-2010.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Persistence paid up finally.

2 years later ??? WOW, what an abuse ! They could have asked you all those info in GZ . Why should it go back to USCIS and redo the thing over again ???

This is where I don't understand sometimes. Legit people are given denials and hard times while frauds are given approval . How can the system be made better ? eg. bring the couples together for the interview. Have they revised their manual at all ???Maybe simply there is no time at GZ , too many people line up for interviews every day. If so the case, add more officers .

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Persistence paid up finally.

2 years later ??? WOW, what an abuse ! They could have asked you all those info in GZ . Why should it go back to USCIS and redo the thing over again ???

This is where I don't understand sometimes. Legit people are given denials and hard times while frauds are given approval . How can the system be made better ? eg. bring the couples together for the interview. Have they revised their manual at all ???Maybe simply there is no time at GZ , too many people line up for interviews every day. If so the case, add more officers .

I think the abuse here was by the "firm". It seems like when the firm was properly dumped that everything went well. Congrats, and welcome, Ming!!

As for how the can system be made better? Thats a pretty tricky question. Most people in America don't understand how difficult the visa process actually is, including politicians. And for those that do: I can just imagine the hate mail one would get after suggesting an increase in the budget for "helping people come take our jobs."

I think the abuse here was by the "firm". It seems like when the firm was properly dumped that everything went well. Congrats, and welcome, Ming!!

As for how the can system be made better? Thats a pretty tricky question. Most people in America don't understand how difficult the visa process actually is, including politicians. And for those that do: I can just imagine the hate mail one would get after suggesting an increase in the budget for "helping people come take our jobs."

Very true, another case where relying on a lawyer to do the work can backfire.

I am a firm believer of DIY, perhaps consult with a lawyer to look for any red-flags, and dealing with problem should a problem come up, but DIY when it comes to all the paperwork, sending the petition to USCIS, and responding to any correspondence, and to not have a "middle-man" involved.

Just glad this case turned out OK.

• 3 months later...