Guangzhou Interview Experience

I actually arrived in Guangzhou on Sunday the 13th of June, prior to my wife¡¯s interview. I came a few days early because I wanted to go to both the American Citizen Services and to the American Citizens hour on Monday afternoon between 1400 and 1530, they let you in at 1400 but do not actually start talking to people until around 1430hrs.

I had hand written an updated Evolution of Marriage or Evolution of Relationship letter and wanted to get it notarized at the US Consulate. Why there? So they could see it and understand I am there for my wife.

I realize that it did cost me the $30. USD, but I also believe that they did read this letter prior to giving it back to me because they took about 20 ¨C 25 minutes to get it back to me because I told them I was here to get this notarized for my wife¡¯s interview on Tuesday Morning.

Once I did get this done, I went back to the consulate about 1400 that afternoon. You are allowed to go upstairs and then you wait in the ¡°immigrant¡± visa line that get¡¯s you into the actual room where your wife (fianc¨¦e) will be interviewed. Once in this room, you are directed to a window and they ask you why you are here and then you are given a form to fill out with some information about your wife¡¯s case and given a number.

We¡¯ll you then sit and wait until 1430, then they start calling numbers for the ACH. There were only 4 of us there for the purpose of talking to the Visa Officer about our wife¡¯s (fiancee¡¯s) case. So, those who say do not go if you are in Guangzhou, I say wrong. Go,, let it be known to the VO that you are here to support your wife (fianc¨¦e) as it has been said here the person you are talking to may well be the person who will interview your wife.

Tell them why you are here, tell them a little about you and your case, even bring a photo or two to ask them any thing relavant to your case. I did and I was asked a few questions about my wife and daughter. I saw him bring up our case on the computer as i was talking to the VO. I answered them and the man was very polite and professional but yet not to personable.

My wife¡¯s interview was set for Tuesday, 15th of June at 0730. We got there at 0715 and there was a nice long line already, plus it looked as if it was school day as there must have been about 150+ students there alone. We¡¯ll we waited in the Very Hot and very humid Guangzhou morning air that was so thick and stood there sweating very much. If going to Guangzhou in Summer, wear Shorts !!!!

Finally, at 0730 they did start letting people going in. Oh, they line you up by time and by visa type. Facing the consulate building the earliest are on the left then proceeding by time to the right. They do check the interview appointment letter and the wife¡¯s passport. Then we were allowed in. I was allowed to go up to the fourth floor with her, at which point I was not allowed to go up. It was about 0845 at that time and then I proceeded to go to the real expensive, bad tasting coffee shop on the fourth floor where everyone must pass on the way out. We¡¯ll as it was reported the first cup is expensive, about 55 RMB or 8.00 USD. After that it is cheap,, only 5 RMB, around .75 cents.

I waited with another man from Wyoming and we talked and waited for our wife¡¯s. Before my wife came down, a few other¡¯s came down all approved. One CR1 another K1. Then my wife came down about 1130 or so. That makes it about 4 hours or there about. She stood there and teased me.. saying "what do you think happend?" with a big smile.. then Finally showed me the Pink/Orange colored paper... :happydance:

She told me the procedure as it has been told here many times. But to give our two cents: She went up to the 5th Floor, through security where they take your cell phone. Enters and goes to the Right for the "immigrant visa" section. Going to the left is for "non-immigrant visa's" First thing is they take all documents, all translations and our finanical documents. We were told to bring her x-rays but they did not take them. She will need to hand them over when she enters the US on the 16th or so. Along with that nice brown envelope.

However, because I did file electronically I was surprised that they only took the financial documents, ALL White Book documents, meaning all translations, birth certificates, Marriage certificates, Financial Documents (I-864) and yes the medicals. She was not asked for any other documents at this point, not even the DS-230. Once that is done, she sits ¡­. Waits and then gets finger printed, given a number and waits.

After this, they sat and waited. Where called up by name, finger printed and then give that nice number like you get when you go to any other government building. Then she waited, and waited and then more waiting. Room is not very big, has a water cooler and toliets. Then the moment came and she was called to the "banker window" for her interview. Yes she was nervous. Here are the questions they asked about us / me:

• is this your first Marriage?
  • How did you meet your husband?
  • How Many Times has he come to see you?
  • What does he do for work?
  • So, Your husband is waiting for you downstaris today? (more like a statment, they knew I was here becuase of ACH..

That was it for me. But becuse she has an adopted Daughter more questions there, and very tough on that subject. They actually called in a different interviewer for that part. She had all documents and even documents from All other parties concered about child. If your wife / financee has a child adopted or natural have letters from all others saying it is ok to have child leave country. If you don't you will probably get told to bring it back later.. So have these letters, oringinal, translated and notrazied.

After those battery of questions the non-chinese interviewer took over again, made an few entries into the computer and gave my wife the approval letter. She said you have passed, gave the wife the the pink / orange paper and the interview letters back. Told her to go to the EMS desk outside the interview room to arrange for delivery of the Passports and visa.

Oh, before I finish this part. I DID front load our petition and I also sent a lot more documents to the NVC when I emailed in the wife¡¯s DS-230. All documents are forwarded to the US Consulate, ALL documents even those not needed by the NVC.

Now on Wednesday, there was the ¡°Dragon Boat Festival¡± because of this the majority of the delivery of the passports were delayed an extra 5 days. So , if you are going to the interview or even if you are not, check to see if there is a holiday after your interview date. If there is, plan on another week or so before you get the visa.

We¡¯ll that is it. Other than that most of the staff was very nice to me. But beware of the Guards, they are Chinese and not very nice. Have a badge that says ¡°Diplomatic Security¡± and just not very nice.

In the End, I would recommend to ¡°Front Load¡± give a lot up front, but not too much. DO Electronic processing and email a lot more, even another EOR, they will forward all documents to the Consulate. DO Go, if you can. DO Go to the ACS and ACH before your wifes interview if you can. It does help. My wife has her visa and passport in hand and will arrive in a short few weeks.. Finally.. All Is great.. !!!

This site and those like this are so very helpful, unless you have any odd situations with your case or your life you do not need a lawyer. Just read, take your time, be percise on all of your documentation. Bug the crap out of USCIS and the NVC, you can call as much as you want. If you feel you are not getting the right answers call more and more and ask for supervisors. This is your wife, your Finance' the most important person in your life. Take the investment of time and if necessary money. It has not been cheap, it is a "life" investment. Treat your wife with the utmost love, care and attention. She is a real person who is leaving all for you. put her on that pedistel.

Cheers

Dan & Yonghua

First, congratulations on passing the interview! Thank you for sharing your recent experience in Guangzhou. My stepson is due for an interview, your detailed information will be helpful for him to understand what will happen when he arrives outside the building and on the 5th floor. Thanks!

That is quite the story. I am very happy for you and now you will be able to start your new life. I did not go for the expensive coffee. I left with a friend and came back. My wife also was there until about 11:40am before she came down. Good Luck and thanks for sharing.

Michael

Wow! What a great day for the both of you! Hearty CONGRATULATIONS on your success! Thank you for sharing this very useful information for those of us still waiting our turn. It is so encouraging to see other couples reap the reward for all their hard effort! Best of luck in the beautiful life that is before you!