The beginning of the end...

I was origionally just going to post a simple review on VJ or something but realizing i have too much free time on my hands here has made me think otherwise.

Dont be expecting another Kyle, but i've done my homework every day for the past 7 months, and i've a keen obsevation, so i will be going into detail.

Lets begin:

We woke up at 4:30 on monday morning. Made our flight for 7:25 at Zhengzhou airport- i was worried there might be a delay because of the GZ weather, but there was'nt.

After our arrival in GZ, we promptly went to see the Yangs. Both my fiancee and i were epecting an old wise man, but who we met turned out to be a middle-aged wise man.

He led us up to his apartment, where it looked like a few others were staying as well. We discussed our case, and all our eveidence. He assured us we would be "99%" able to get the visa. We do have, literally, everything.

Now, we're here for 2 (two) weeks. Not sure, but probably the longest anyone who dosent live in GZ has ever been here solely for the visa.

The reason we made it out so early, was for ACH on monday. Next monday's a holiday, and Yun interviews on the monday morning after that.

At the yangs, there was another couple from Zhengzhou as well. Dont know how many are familiar with ZZ, but not alot of forigners there. I was pretty suprised and refereshed at the same time. They were here for the early ACH as well.

At 1:20, we went down to the consulate, and up to the 4th. Here we waited for about 10 minutes, and then they started letting people in. I was suprised to see a fairly short line, but it turned out that being early was a good thing. We went up to the 5th at 1:30, passed security, and lined up at window 19 or 20. I forgot. There were alot of other non-US citizens and other US citizens at other sections (i.e. window 1-10) as well- i assume the US citizens were there for ACS, but i dont know what the other chinese people were doing there.

Here we waited for about 30 minutes, and we were some of the first people in line. Over the course of the next 30 mins, alot of other people got in line behind us. I wouldn't say if your not in line by 2:00 they wont let you in, but being early means you get to ask questions alot earlier too.

Around 2:00, an asian man (possibly korean by blood?) began answering simple questions for those who asked, and for anyone that said they wanted to ask question(s) they were given a form and a number.

As I waited for the VO to get to my number, i talked with some other people there as well, and over heard the VO that would later talk to me answering another guy's questions. I learned two interesting things some may not have considered:

1. Come interview day, the applicants they interview are random. Its not the same VO handling your case from p3-interview.

2. The first person they interview of the day makes their day. This means that if they're normally a very generous VO, and the very first person they interview is an asshole, your gonna see alot of white and blues from them that day.

When my number was called, my VO was a very nice, white, larger woman with brown semi-curly hair. She first asked for my passport, and as i handed it to her with 2 hands, she made a comment that i must have been in China for a long time.

Now, I had been planning for this day for the last 7 months. I had alot of questions, but she was very patient and held with me the entire time.

We talked about quite alot, and i've forgotten a little bit of it, but the gist of it was she started out asking how long ive been in china, how i met my fiancee, what i came to China the first time for, and if i had a job in China. She made a note in the computer that i had came, but did'nt write what we talked about. She also kept my passport the entire time we talked, but did'nt look at any of the visas/stamps.

Some of the questions i ased were:

1. Needed a new I-157. She have me the whole P4 DOS form packet.

2. My I-129F only had the bare neccessities. Would this be a problem?

Her response was that come the interview, she looks at the I-129F and the information my fiancee has on hand to come to a decision. She then said that she preferres more professionaly put together petitions- but i personally dont see why more would hurt.

3. We talked about my financial situation, and she asked if i had a cosponsor, which i did. I didnt find out alot about this, but i dont think there will be any problems since i have a 'well endowed' cosponsor.

4. I mentioned that we wernt able to muster up any proof of living togteher from a juweihui, but i did have other proof (such as dengji copies) of living together. She didnt say if that would be good enough, but i think to her it would, as she then answered by saying that i would need to prove up domicile because of that.

5. talked about my cosponsor's 134, who didnt have a few documents to back what he wrote on the 134 form included (such as life insureance). He does however have wayy more than enough to qualify on the 134 for which he does have proof of. She replyed by saying that come interview day, they consider the totality of the information given to come to a decision, implying that as long as we could prove enough to convince the VO of financial stability, not proving up the remaining $50000 in life insurance would not matter.

6. I mentioned i dont have much to prove my chinese language ability other than to use it. She said that in cases where the USC and chinese national have only been together for a few weeks in person, proving up communication is an issue. In our case we have a year and 1/2 together, which she said its obvious we can communicate if we have that much time together.

7. I said that my fiancee's english is not bad, but not too great either. For the interview, what should she use? The VO replied by saying they can use chinese if shes comfortable with that, but in the beginning they'll try to get a feel for her english ability with a few questions.

8. I asked why they dont interview the petitioner, to which the summary of what she said was that all consulates have different procedures. Interviewing the petitioner isnt one of their's.

9. My fiancee is 5 1/2 years older than me (== female > male). I asked if that would be an issue, and se started out sarcasticly saying that it was sooo bad and we would not get the visa because of it, and then mentioned that it was no big deal.

10. Talked about her prior B-1 visa denial. The VO said 'its hard', and that it wont matter for the interview.

11. I asked if since my fiancee would have my real passport, if we would still need copies of my passport. She said no.

12. The last thing i asked was how she like being a Visa officer!

I think maybe later in life i might like to do that, and she said that you do get to choose which contry you want to work at.

Thats the gist of it, and the end of our monday AND our contact with GUZ till my ACS on the 5th.

More to come later.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was origionally just going to post a simple review on VJ or something but realizing i have too much free time on my hands here has made me think otherwise.

Dont be expecting another Kyle, but i've done my homework every day for the past 7 months, and i've a keen obsevation, so i will be going into detail.

Lets begin:

We woke up at 4:30 on monday morning. Made our flight for 7:25 at Zhengzhou airport- i was worried there might be a delay because of the GZ weather, but there was'nt.

After our arrival in GZ, we promptly went to see the Yangs. Both my fiancee and i were epecting an old wise man, but who we met turned out to be a middle-aged wise man.

He led us up to his apartment, where it looked like a few others were staying as well. We discussed our case, and all our eveidence. He assured us we would be "99%" able to get the visa. We do have, literally, everything.

Now, we're here for 2 (two) weeks. Not sure, but probably the longest anyone who dosent live in GZ has ever been here solely for the visa.

The reason we made it out so early, was for ACH on monday. Next monday's a holiday, and Yun interviews on the monday morning after that.

At the yangs, there was another couple from Zhengzhou as well. Dont know how many are familiar with ZZ, but not alot of forigners there. I was pretty suprised and refereshed at the same time. They were here for the early ACH as well.

At 1:20, we went down to the consulate, and up to the 4th. Here we waited for about 10 minutes, and then they started letting people in. I was suprised to see a fairly short line, but it turned out that being early was a good thing. We went up to the 5th at 1:30, passed security, and lined up at window 19 or 20. I forgot. There were alot of other non-US citizens and other US citizens at other sections (i.e. window 1-10) as well- i assume the US citizens were there for ACS, but i dont know what the other chinese people were doing there.

Here we waited for about 30 minutes, and we were some of the first people in line. Over the course of the next 30 mins, alot of other people got in line behind us. I wouldn't say if your not in line by 2:00 they wont let you in, but being early means you get to ask questions alot earlier too.

Around 2:00, an asian man (possibly korean by blood?) began answering simple questions for those who asked, and for anyone that said they wanted to ask question(s) they were given a form and a number.

As I waited for the VO to get to my number, i talked with some other people there as well, and over heard the VO that would later talk to me answering another guy's questions. I learned two interesting things some may not have considered:

1. Come interview day, the applicants they interview are random. Its not the same VO handling your case from p3-interview.

2. The first person they interview of the day makes their day. This means that if they're normally a very generous VO, and the very first person they interview is an asshole, your gonna see alot of white and blues from them that day.

When my number was called, my VO was a very nice, white, larger woman with brown semi-curly hair. She first asked for my passport, and as i handed it to her with 2 hands, she made a comment that i must have been in China for a long time.

Now, I had been planning for this day for the last 7 months. I had alot of questions, but she was very patient and held with me the entire time.

We talked about quite alot, and i've forgotten a little bit of it, but the gist of it was she started out asking how long ive been in china, how i met my fiancee, what i came to China the first time for, and if i had a job in China. She made a note in the computer that i had came, but did'nt write what we talked about. She also kept my passport the entire time we talked, but did'nt look at any of the visas/stamps.

Some of the questions i ased were:

1. Needed a new I-157. She have me the whole P4 DOS form packet.

2. My I-129F only had the bare neccessities. Would this be a problem?

Her response was that come the interview, she looks at the I-129F and the information my fiancee has on hand to come to a decision. She then said that she preferres more professionaly put together petitions- but i personally dont see why more would hurt.

3. We talked about my financial situation, and she asked if i had a cosponsor, which i did. I didnt find out alot about this, but i dont think there will be any problems since i have a 'well endowed' cosponsor.

4. I mentioned that we wernt able to muster up any proof of living togteher from a juweihui, but i did have other proof (such as dengji copies) of living together. She didnt say if that would be good enough, but i think to her it would, as she then answered by saying that i would need to prove up domicile because of that.

5. talked about my cosponsor's 134, who didnt have a few documents to back what he wrote on the 134 form included (such as life insureance). He does however have wayy more than enough to qualify on the 134 for which he does have proof of. She replyed by saying that come interview day, they consider the totality of the information given to come to a decision, implying that as long as we could prove enough to convince the VO of financial stability, not proving up the remaining $50000 in life insurance would not matter.

6. I mentioned i dont have much to prove my chinese language ability other than to use it. She said that in cases where the USC and chinese national have only been together for a few weeks in person, proving up communication is an issue. In our case we have a year and 1/2 together, which she said its obvious we can communicate if we have that much time together.

7. I said that my fiancee's english is not bad, but not too great either. For the interview, what should she use? The VO replied by saying they can use chinese if shes comfortable with that, but in the beginning they'll try to get a feel for her english ability with a few questions.

8. I asked why they dont interview the petitioner, to which the summary of what she said was that all consulates have different procedures. Interviewing the petitioner isnt one of their's.

9. My fiancee is 5 1/2 years older than me (== female > male). I asked if that would be an issue, and se started out sarcasticly saying that it was sooo bad and we would not get the visa because of it, and then mentioned that it was no big deal.

10. Talked about her prior B-1 visa denial. The VO said 'its hard', and that it wont matter for the interview.

11. I asked if since my fiancee would have my real passport, if we would still need copies of my passport. She said no.

12. The last thing i asked was how she like being a Visa officer!

I think maybe later in life i might like to do that, and she said that you do get to choose which contry you want to work at.

Thats the gist of it, and the end of our monday AND our contact with GUZ till my ACS on the 5th.

More to come later.

I just went through the process, I'm pretty sure you got the worry about being delayed due to weather from my post (maybe not), but it sounds to me like you've done your homework.

After going through it, I've come up with a mental list of things I've been meaning to post on here, but just haven't had the time (work has been busy) to put it together.

It sounds to me like you'll do fine. I will say don't be surprised if they don't look at anything you spent a vast majority of time putting together. In our case they only cared about the taxes/I-864 (CR1)/Co-Sponsor's I-864/ and pictures.

I will say that the following day, the parents of the baby we met got interviewed by the "Visa Killer" the African-American women and got a pink, so I reckon she's just a little more strict than the others, but still possible to pass.

Don't worry, things will go fine! Enjoy GuangZhou, I sure did. I came back to WuHan and immediately could tell the difference in the quality of air. WuHan is under construction for it's subway so it's filthy here right now.

I just went through the process, I'm pretty sure you got the worry about being delayed due to weather from my post (maybe not), but it sounds to me like you've done your homework.

After going through it, I've come up with a mental list of things I've been meaning to post on here, but just haven't had the time (work has been busy) to put it together.

It sounds to me like you'll do fine. I will say don't be surprised if they don't look at anything you spent a vast majority of time putting together. In our case they only cared about the taxes/I-864 (CR1)/Co-Sponsor's I-864/ and pictures.

I will say that the following day, the parents of the baby we met got interviewed by the "Visa Killer" the African-American women and got a pink, so I reckon she's just a little more strict than the others, but still possible to pass.

Don't worry, things will go fine! Enjoy GuangZhou, I sure did. I came back to WuHan and immediately could tell the difference in the quality of air. WuHan is under construction for it's subway so it's filthy here right now.

Yea i did see what happend to you with the weather- but i actually didnt read your post until after we got here :lol:

I just saw that there was alot of flooding in GUZ on the news, so i figured that would be a problem.

I did however write that the guy handing out the numbers at ACH might have been korean because of your interview though!

Although I don't see anything 'new' in your post, it's really good to see such detail to judge if things are changing in some way.

I personally only see your issues as:

1. Age & trying K1 instead of marrying

2. Co-sponsor - generally don't submit something you don't have proof for; Assets mean much less anyways; they will focus on the stable income items in the I-134.

3. Her English

Although what was not raised in your Q&A but one can read between the lines (since we know it happens); what if the VO you get is NOT generally generous? You also see blue most of the day.

Focus on preparing her. Open in some basic english, hand over your passport. And say she will feel more comfortable if the interview can be in chinese; then she can more easily explain your living together, etc.

good luck and keep us informed.

... interviewed by the "Visa Killer" the African-American women and got a pink...

I am interested in the history of this "visa killer" because that is who we had in March and Yi said she was a really sweet lady. I wonder if we just had her one day of the month she is not on her period.... :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like your prospects are very good for interview day. Since you obviously did your homework and put in the work, the only danger I can foresee is the possibility of getting a VO in a bad mood.

My wife and I were also in Guangzhou for about two weeks. It's good to leave at least 4 or 5 days after the interview when you can wait for the visa (this is when you can really relax and enjoy Guangzhou as well). I've read about some extremely anal CFL members in the past who I believe went for even longer. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about Zhengzhou's dearth of foreigners. Same thing in Nanyang. Zhengzhou is one of the main places we're looking at for our return to China in the next few years...

My girl is from Zhengzhou. So far it is my favorite city... it has the best combination of modern style yet not too overpopulated and has city services that allow you to get around comfortably. Its expansion on the outeredges into the farmland is amazing. High rise apts on one side of a new boulevard with farms on the other and the farmers drying their corn on the unused lanes of the boulevard!!

Anyway, I just got back to Shanghai from Nanjing and that's just too overpopulated for its own good. The malls, the public transportation, roads, just all way overcrowded despite being modern. We had to abort our trip out to the Mausoleum after being packed solid onto a bus and having it traverse 3 blocks in 20 minutes! We found the Nationalist Presidential Compound anyway which is very interesting re: 20th century history. A must see!

Sorry for the diversion... I look forward to hearing the visa interview outcome, good luck!

Although I don't see anything 'new' in your post, it's really good to see such detail to judge if things are changing in some way.

2. Co-sponsor - generally don't submit something you don't have proof for; Assets mean much less anyways; they will focus on the stable income items in the I-134.

3. Her English

Although what was not raised in your Q&A but one can read between the lines (since we know it happens); what if the VO you get is NOT generally generous? You also see blue most of the day.

Focus on preparing her. Open in some basic english, hand over your passport. And say she will feel more comfortable if the interview can be in chinese; then she can more easily explain your living together, etc.

Thanks, i will!

And #1 there is our biggest problem. Only thing is, i cant marry here yet (am 20), so we'd either need to get the visa, or go off to hong kong to fix that one.

Sounds to me like your prospects are very good for interview day. Since you obviously did your homework and put in the work, the only danger I can foresee is the possibility of getting a VO in a bad mood.

My wife and I were also in Guangzhou for about two weeks. It's good to leave at least 4 or 5 days after the interview when you can wait for the visa (this is when you can really relax and enjoy Guangzhou as well). I've read about some extremely anal CFL members in the past who I believe went for even longer. :blink:

I know what you mean about Zhengzhou's dearth of foreigners. Same thing in Nanyang. Zhengzhou is one of the main places we're looking at for our return to China in the next few years...

Wow, suprised me to hear about that.... & I thought 2 weeks was a marathon....

If we're still in china then :lol: (or back?) we'll look ya up.

My girl is from Zhengzhou. So far it is my favorite city... it has the best combination of modern style yet not too overpopulated and has city services that allow you to get around comfortably. Its expansion on the outeredges into the farmland is amazing. High rise apts on one side of a new boulevard with farms on the other and the farmers drying their corn on the unused lanes of the boulevard!!

Anyway, I just got back to Shanghai from Nanjing and that's just too overpopulated for its own good. The malls, the public transportation, roads, just all way overcrowded despite being modern. We had to abort our trip out to the Mausoleum after being packed solid onto a bus and having it traverse 3 blocks in 20 minutes! We found the Nationalist Presidential Compound anyway which is very interesting re: 20th century history. A must see!

Sorry for the diversion... I look forward to hearing the visa interview outcome, good luck!

Yea zhengzhou's a real chinese city. Only problem i have with it is that sometimes it gets a bit too excessive for me (such as the whole 'developing' city thing== no place to stay for a night unless you either have 100 rmb to spare or an apartment to stay in), and the whole no good chocolate in all of the city thing, etc.

But yea, sometimes i think the population of ZZ is way too high.... then i come HERE and it makes ZZ look like a ghost town!!

3. Her English

Thanks, i will!

And #1 there is our biggest problem. Only thing is, i cant marry here yet (am 20), so we'd either need to get the visa, or go off to hong kong to fix that one.

Or GUZ simply thinks your too young and need to wait... they've done that before...

Well my ACS yesterday went smoothly enough.

But in all honesty, i dont think it had much effect. Not sure anyone even really looked the letter over.

I also had pages added to my passport. I'm secretly hoping that when i listed my parent's house in the US as my permanet address, somehow thay might notice that and it will help us for domicile come interview day. Probably a crap shot, though.

I think the most that having the EOR letter notarized does, though, is make it look pretty, and they're less likly to trash it 'accedentily' come interview day.

And today we had the medical done. Pretty much what others have said. She wasnt happy about the breast cancer check, or the part where they wanted to take a peek 'down below', and im sure that if this wasnt common practice for the medical, someone was going to loose a tooth today. And i dont mean because of my fiancee. I was pissed.

But 800 for that shit? Really? This might just be the biggest rip off in all of this process. I had my medical in december for 200, and they did 5 times more- PLUS they did'nt need to peek at my jewles.

So not too much more exicitement than were used to, but we're off duty again until our final preperations and our stay with the yangs on the 9th. Signin' off!

Edited by moonandstar99 (see edit history)

Well my ACS yesterday went smoothly enough.

But in all honesty, i dont think it had much effect. Not sure anyone even really looked the letter over.

I also had pages added to my passport. I'm secretly hoping that when i listed my parent's house in the US as my permanet address, somehow thay might notice that and it will help us for domicile come interview day. Probably a crap shot, though.

I think the most that having the EOR letter notarized does, though, is make it look pretty, and they're less likly to trash it 'accedentily' come interview day.

And today we had the medical done. Pretty much what others have said. She wasnt happy about the breast cancer check, or the part where they wanted to take a peek 'down below', and im sure that if this wasnt common practice for the medical, someone was going to loose a tooth today. And i dont mean because of my fiancee. I was pissed.

But 800 for that shit? Really? This might just be the biggest rip off in all of this process. I had my medical in december for 200, and they did 5 times more- PLUS they did'nt need to peek at my jewles.

So not too much more exicitement than were used to, but we're off duty again until our final preperations and our stay with the yangs on the 9th. Signin' off!

Looking at the entire body is SOP for the medical.

That was a close one. But we didnt get out of it unscratched.

I would like to say, for future reference to other CFL mebers, that when in Guangzhou, you need to protect your stuff. Especially your interview equipment, and especially when your away or at night.

Not just from people, but nature too.

We've been staying on the outskirts of GUZ. What looked like a godsend in comparison to zhengzhou's buildings, weve been staying for 30 a night in a relativly nice room. On the 3rd floor of an 8 floor building.

Last night, our room was flooded about 2 inches deep. In the mess of it all, my Mp3 player was destroyed, but thanks to a bag my mom gave me to store my interview equipment in, that happened to be waterproof, our documents are safe.

Had i stored them in a different place, we most certianly would have needed to rescedual, so close to the interview date- and theres no telling how much money that would have costed us.

The rain water came in from the 8TH FLOOR, and the only reason i was able to notice it, was when the toilet started making noises and the room began to stink.

Just a friendly reminder to those that stay someplace that may not be as top quality as a hotel- Keep your documents safe!

Edited by moonandstar99 (see edit history)

I would like to say, for future reference to other CFL mebers, that when in Guangzhou, you need to protect your stuff. Especially your interview equipment, and especially when your away or at night.

We've been staying on the outskirts of GUZ. What looked like a godsend in comparison to zhengzhou's buildings, weve been staying for 30 a night in a relativly nice room. On the 3rd floor of an 8 floor building.

Last night, our room was flooded about 2 inches deep. In the mess of it all, my Mp3 player was destroyed, but thanks to a bag my mom gave me to store my interview equipment in, that happened to be waterproof, our documents are safe.

Had i stored them in a different place, we most certianly would have needed to rescedual, so close to the interview date- and theres no telling how much money that would have costed us.

The rain water came in from the 8TH FLOOR, and the only reason i was able to notice it, was when the toilet started making noises and the room began to stink.

Just a friendly reminder to those that stay someplace that may not be as top quality as a hotel- Keep your documents safe!

30 RMB /night?

That sucks! Sorry, to hear this! When we were in Guangzhou, our apartment was entered twice by strangers who had keys. I hear what you're saying and couldn't agree with you more.

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry526766

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?s=&a...st&p=526944

... interviewed by the "Visa Killer" the African-American women and got a pink...

I am interested in the history of this "visa killer" because that is who we had in March and Yi said she was a really sweet lady. I wonder if we just had her one day of the month she is not on her period.... ;)

This is an urban legend another name is "Black Perl"

Keep in mind this has been going around CFL and 001 for as long as I can remember and before, no VO spends YEARS at that post.

Unfortunately many Chinese can be a bit racist and suspect that any black VO has it out for them, and any tend to single out any black VO as the "Black Perl"

Again it is an URBAN LEGEND!