Oct 27, 2009 IR-1 interview Pink

Hi everyone,

I was doing an IR-1 visa in China. I just finished my interview in Guangzhou a week ago and picked up my visa 3 days after. Here I am writing down what happened on the interview day FYI.

We booked our room with the Yang's. They were very hospitable people and they gave us a 3 bedroom set all private. On the interview day, I went downstairs waiting in line around 7 am. I didn't bring any electronic stuff with me, so it's really fast for me to go through the security check. My appointment letter was taken by the consulate employee.

I was sitting there checking all my documents and did a slight re-organization of the paper. I put all paper that's going to be taken away all together. Soon afterwards my name was called to hand in my docs at window #25. It's a very nice young Chinese girl. She checked my passport, took away the copy of the bio passport page, I-864, 3 years of 1040 forms, medical report, new DS-230 PART-I (I did a minor change on the form and I was asked to sign it) and 2 visa photos. Then I was asked if I ever traveled to the States and what did we do, am I CCP and have I ever been to HongKong or Macau? Then I was required to go to window #16 to pay the IV fee. After all of that, I should come back and give her the receipt.

I made a mistake after I paid the fee. I went back to window #27 and I waited there for a long time but nobody showed up. Until it required everyone to go back to their seat and the oath started. I remained in my seat and soon after I was called to go to window #30 to hand in the receipt.

I was very nervous at that moment. One of the employees helped instruct on me how to do the fingerprint. That's no problem! Then it came the long waiting for the final interview.

My interview came around 11 am. Here is the detail:

Me: Ni Hao!

(The VO looked up at me for 1 sec and went back to looking at my paper)

VO: Is this the person who petitioned you?

Me: Yes, XXX (I said my husband's name)

VO: I noticed you have a baby, have you ever done any DNA test?

Me: Nope, but I have all her birth certificates. Do you wanna take a look?

VO: No, maybe later. How did you two meet?

Me: XXXXXX (I answered in details as what exact date, what we did and everyone who's involved in the meeting)

VO: Do you have any photos?

Me: Yes

(VO was flipping thru the photos)

VO: Did your parents attend your wedding?

Me: Yes, XXXXXX

VO: Did his parents attend?

Me: No. (and I explained why)

VO: What does your husband do?

Me: XXXXXX

VO: Did you have other boyfriend before meeting your husband?

Me: Huh? Yes, XXXXXX (That's a tricky question)

VO: In which year?

VO: How much money does your husband make?

(I answered without hesitation, then he immediately wrote something down on some paper)

VO: Is your baby healthy?

Me: Yes, of course. (Then I tried to show him her health records, he didn't want them)

VO: What does your husband do again?

VO: What's your job before you are a housewife?

VO: You are approved. Have a nice trip!

Me: Thank you, Have a nice day!

The whole interview took about 5 mins. A lot of questions, but the confidence wins everything.

I hope my experience useful for other people going thru the visa stuff.

Edited by Ant & Lu (see edit history)

Hi Kat, I've been eagerly waiting for this post. Thank you for taking the time to befriend my wife and I and to communicate with us through MSN and on this site. I hope that our result and experiences will be similar to yours.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Hi Kat, I've been eagerly waiting for this post. Thank you for taking the time to befriend my wife and I and to communicate with us through MSN and on this site. I hope that our result and experiences will be similar to yours.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Kyle,

I am very glad that my experience will do any help to jingjing's interview. And it's very nice to make friends with you two. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask me :)

I would also be very willing to help others here on CFL as you guys helped me a lot when I was doing my visa stuff.

Regards

Kat

Hi everyone,

I was doing an IR-1 visa in China. I just finished my interview in Guangzhou a week ago and picked up my visa 3 days after. Here I am writing down what happened on the interview day FYI.

We booked our room with the Yang's. They were very hospitable people and they gave us a 3 bedroom set all private. On the interview day, I went downstairs waiting in line around 7 am. I didn't bring any electronic stuff with me, so it's really fast for me to go through the security check. My appointment letter was taken by the consulate employee.

I was sitting there checking all my documents and did a slight re-organization of the paper. I put all paper that's going to be taken away all together. Soon afterwards my name was called to hand in my docs at window #25. It's a very nice young Chinese girl. She checked my passport, took away the copy of the bio passport page, I-864, 3 years of 1040 forms, medical report, new DS-230 PART-I (I did a minor change on the form and I was asked to sign it) and 2 visa photos. Then I was asked if I ever traveled to the States and what did we do, am I CCP and have I ever been to HongKong or Macau? Then I was required to go to window #16 to pay the IV fee. After all of that, I should come back and give her the receipt.

I made a mistake after I paid the fee. I went back to window #27 and I waited there for a long time but nobody showed up. Until it required everyone to go back to their seat and the oath started. I remained in my seat and soon after I was called to go to window #30 to hand in the receipt.

I was very nervous at that moment. One of the employees helped instruct on me how to do the fingerprint. That's no problem! Then it came the long waiting for the final interview.

My interview came around 11 am. Here is the detail:

Me: Ni Hao!

(The VO looked up at me for 1 sec and went back to looking at my paper)

VO: Is this the person who petitioned you?

Me: Yes, XXX (I said my husband's name)

VO: I noticed you have a baby, have you ever done any DNA test?

Me: Nope, but I have all her birth certificates. Do you wanna take a look?

VO: No, maybe later. How did you two meet?

Me: XXXXXX (I answered in details as what exact date, what we did and everyone who's involved in the meeting)

VO: Do you have any photos?

Me: Yes

(VO was flipping thru the photos)

VO: Did your parents attend your wedding?

Me: Yes, XXXXXX

VO: Did his parents attend?

Me: No. (and I explained why)

VO: What does your husband do?

VO: Did you have other boyfriend before meeting your husband?

Me: Huh? Yes, XXXXXX (That's a tricky question)

VO: In which year?

VO: How much money does your husband make?

(I answered without hesitation, then he immediately wrote something down on some paper)

VO: Is your baby healthy?

Me: Yes, of course. (Then I tried to show him her health records, he didn't want them)

VO: What does your husband do again?

VO: What's your job before you are a housewife?

VO: You are approved. Have a nice trip!

Me: Thank you, Have a nice day!

The whole interview took about 5 mins. A lot of questions, but the confidence wins everything.

I hope my experience useful for other people going thru the visa stuff.

Does anyone happen to know what the significance is for them asking if the beneficiary has ever been to Hong Kong? I know my wife has another passport-type entry permit that she was issued before we went to Hong Kong to be married, so could it be that they would want to see that? The permit is NOT in her regular passport.

I'd like to know in case there is something we might need to prepare for for when Lijuan goes to her interview...

Does anyone happen to know what the significance is for them asking if the beneficiary has ever been to Hong Kong? I know my wife has another passport-type entry permit that she was issued before we went to Hong Kong to be married, so could it be that they would want to see that? The permit is NOT in her regular passport.

I'd like to know in case there is something we might need to prepare for for when Lijuan goes to her interview...

I have always wondered about that as well. In my case my wife had made numerous trips to Hong Kong so we were sure to bring all of her HK entry permits which she had acquired over the years to the interview just in case - but they were never asked for.

Edited by Eric (see edit history)

I have always wondered about that as well. In my case my wife had made numerous trips to Hong Kong so we were sure to bring all of her HK entry permits which she had acquired over the years to the interview just in case - but they were never asked for.

I have wondered about that too but we were not asked either.

CONGRATULATIONS!

• 2 years later...

Sorry I am a bit late for this, too busy after my visa was approved...

I've never been to Hong kong and I don't have that particular HK "passport", the people in the consulate didn't ask since I don't have one. But I would bring it if I have one. Hope my answer helps somebody.