Chinese passport renewal

I've searched the threads, but nobody's saying what I want to hear. :angry:

Does my wife really need to travel to the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate in order to renew her passport? Can she just mail it? If not, could she mail it to a government agency in China? If not, could she renew it in person in China? (As strange as it sounds, that would be easier, as a trip to China is always in the cards--and usually in the budget--but an unscheduled, bureaucratic trip to San Francisco or NY is not something we could easily do.)

Information about this is oddly hard to come by. But I know this group has a wealth of experience, so I hope you can come through as you've always done in the past. To be clear, I'm looking for recent information or first-hand experience; from my research it sounds like things have changed over the past couple of years.

Thanks!

Ryan

Edited by xulei601 (see edit history)

NO mail! :angry:

My Mother-in-law just checked in Guangzhou applicable govt office about processing time for passport. It was 15 working days! And must apply in person and pickup in person.

My Wife contacted the Chinese Information and Service Center (CISC) here in Seattle, which she volunteered at before getting her first US based job. They said that the San Francisco Consulate typically makes 1 or 2 trips up to Seattle each year to handle services such as passport renewal. However this service is not guaranteed to happen each year due to problems for the consulate to find office space; thus their visit is announced very shortly prior to their to arrival. This leaves little time for the required registering prior to their arrival. For these "field trips" the turn around time for passport renewal is 15 working days with passport delivered in mail.

In the case of going directly to the consulate the passport is renewed same day.

I was thinking of just going to Vancouver to get the passport renewed, I have no response yet:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34713

So perhaps the city in which you reside also has a consulate that makes "field trips"? Maybe a local Chinese organization/community could provide advice?

Edited by Schuller (see edit history)

We just went through this for NY . You need to go to the one in your area. Toronto is closer for us but we had to go to ny city.I inquired about a one day pickup for the passport this is the reply

You can't pick up in one day. It usually takes 7 days. You may let somebody else pick up for you. When pick-up, pay cash or credit card.

We need her passport, green card, photoes, and application form.

ÍøÕ¾ÒÑÓд𰸵ÄÎÊÌ⣬ÒÔ¼°À´ÐÅ˵Ã÷²»Çå³þµÄÎÊÌ⣬ˡ²»»Ø¸´¡£Çëµã»÷ÒÔÏÂÁ´½Ó£¬»ñÈ¡×îÐÂ

°ìÖ¤ÐëÖª£º

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/chn/lszj/default.htm

When yan had receipt it mentioned same day pickup. 65.00 with the married name included . We had a friend pick it up for us. Yan has heard on 001 that what photo you bring it will be the wrong kind so you pay for one there. If we had to travel to NY city twice it would have been almost as cheap to fly her to china before it expired. When you consider lost wages ect. On the chicago consulate website it says that they will mail it back to you. NY city would not.

Lost in Blue had to do this a while back, he is from my area and his wife had to make the trip down to NYC to apply for a replacement passport.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=33806&hl=

In my case I would probably make the trip north to Toronto, it is closer than NYC.

http://toronto.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/

Lost in Blue had to do this a while back, he is from my area and his wife had to make the trip down to NYC to apply for a replacement passport.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=33806&hl=

In my case I would probably make the trip north to Toronto, it is closer than NYC.

http://toronto.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/

Dan I read somewhere on that website that we could not use Toronto to renew. I would much rather have gone to Toronto than NY city if it was allowed.

We went through this a year ago last May. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25006&hl=

Nope you can't mail it you must go to the consulate in person. Unless they've changed things they will mail it back to you when it's finished. If your wife has taken your name have them put in the adendem that says something like "The name on this passport is also XXXXXX"

We made it a vacation and even got to hook up with a few other CFL members while we were in the area.

Dan I read somewhere on that website that we could not use Toronto to renew. I would much rather have gone to Toronto than NY city if it was allowed.

Bummer!

We have some friends in Toronto, the cost of a trip there is much less hotels cheaper, or perhaps a day trip.

Perhaps on our next trip up there we may check in person about this perhaps amend married name into passport.

Every time I applied for a visa to China I used a visa service that used the Chinese embassy in DC, but I live in the NYC counselor district, never had problems with that.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Unless you want to go to DC for the renewal you are to go to the consulate for your residence to renew the passport.

Some of the consulates will travel to other cities to provide this service, you might want to email the local Chinese Association to see if they have made arrangements for this service.

The passport renewal fee is $55 and you only need to complete the forms and pay the $5 for mail service. You need to provide a pre-paid label for this, you can do FedEx, UPS or USPS. I suggest USPS Priority Mail, the cost is less than $5 for priority mail

Only if the passport hasn't expired your wife could do this in China, it's not usually possible to travel on an expired passport.

I can't find if someone's actually renewed a passport this way, but you might try a visa service. They'll send someone "in person" for you, at least for visas. I think also passports.

Try these guys - http://www.visarite.com/ChinesePassportRenewal.htm

I checked these guys out and you have to be under the age of 12 or over the age of 65. If you do not meet these age requirements, they will not help you. What a drag. I hate driving to DC. The embassy website has the instructions, but only in Chinese. That helps me out, NOT!

Thanks for all the responses, everybody. Schuller, I like both of your suggestions - the roaming consulate service in Seattle and the Vancouver option. I live in Walla Walla, so we're always up for a trip to the cosmopolitan West Side. Do you know how to find out when/if the SF consulars will be traveling to Seattle? And please share what you find out about the Vancouver office.

Ryan

Unless you want to go to DC for the renewal you are to go to the consulate for your residence to renew the passport.

Some of the consulates will travel to other cities to provide this service, you might want to email the local Chinese Association to see if they have made arrangements for this service.

The passport renewal fee is $55 and you only need to complete the forms and pay the $5 for mail service. You need to provide a pre-paid label for this, you can do FedEx, UPS or USPS. I suggest USPS Priority Mail, the cost is less than $5 for priority mail

Only if the passport hasn't expired your wife could do this in China, it's not usually possible to travel on an expired passport.

Lees right. We did this 3 months ago in DC. Passport was expired so Chinas a no go. Do check with a consulate yourself about when and where they travel. Know first hand that can change at any time. All we needed was her I-94 and her passport. Didn't even need the I-94 when we got there only her passport. Yes in person is required. No one day service on passports. Take a recent passport/visa style photo with you 4 would be better. If not the consulate will have a photo booth or an area inside they will do it for you at a cost. Never did find out if traveling officers could do this. Gave up real fast on that option.

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)

Lees right. We did this 3 months ago in DC. Passport was expired so Chinas a no go. Do check with a consulate yourself about when and where they travel. Know first hand that can change at any time. All we needed was her I-94 and her passport. Didn't even need the I-94 when we got there only her passport. Yes in person is required. No one day service on passports. Take a recent passport/visa style photo with you 4 would be better. If not the consulate will have a photo booth or an area inside they will do it for you at a cost. Never did find out if traveling officers could do this. Gave up real fast on that option.

When the consulate has come here we were expected to have everything ready including photos, they did have a good supply of forms, we discovered the form on the website was not what they were expecting and had to redo it just before they saw her.

When the consulate has come here we were expected to have everything ready including photos, they did have a good supply of forms, we discovered the form on the website was not what they were expecting and had to redo it just before they saw her.

Lee is right on spot. In our area DC advised not to go the traveling prc route. Only our area they said. As he said the standard form on the website may not be the one you need. Thats another reason we didn't do it. Do make sure you have the pre-paid return envelope.

Forgot his id but another member in NC had to re-new his wifes passport within the last month. He went to DC also.

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)

Thanks for all the responses, everybody. Schuller, I like both of your suggestions - the roaming consulate service in Seattle and the Vancouver option. I live in Walla Walla, so we're always up for a trip to the cosmopolitan West Side. Do you know how to find out when/if the SF consulars will be traveling to Seattle? And please share what you find out about the Vancouver office.

Ryan

San Francisco consulate doesn't give much advance notice of when they will visit Seattle. The will give notice through one of the local Chinese language newspapers (not sure which one). You must then register with the consulate for your desired service prior to their arrival in Seattle. My wife is keeping in contact with one of her previous co-workers at CISC for info, I will let you know when we find out.

Seems like this might be applicable to Vancouver office as well. See email I received from my inquiry:

>me to visa@chinaconsulatevan.org

>Dear Sir or Madam,

>

> My Wife is a Chinese Citizen holding a Chinese Passport that will expire

> in

> Fall 2009. She is a
US
permanent resident and resides with me in Seattle

> Washington.

>

> Please advise if she is eligible to use the Vancouver Consulate to come in

> person and apply for a passport renewal. If she is eligible, please

> advise

> the passport renewal process for the Vancouver Consulate.

>

> The Vancouver Consulate would be more convenient for traveling to in

> person

> due to it's closer proximity to Seattle than the nearest
US
based Chinese

> Consulate in San Francisco California.

>

> Thanks,

> J. Schuller

visa@chinaconsulatevan.org

to me

Hello,

Your wife is not able to renew the passport in vancouver,she has to renew

it in
USA

me to visa@chinaconsulatevan.org

Dear Sir or Madam,

Could you please advise why a Chinese citizen who is legally visiting a foreign country
can
't use the services of the consulate of their home country?

Regards,

J. Schuller

Waiting now for their reply...

If we have time and there isn't a long line at the consulate in Vancouver... we will stop by and try and renew on our next trip. I can see if my wife can mop slap them into submission.

I will keep you posted of any info.