Legal reasons to deny...

Does anyone happen to know the legal reasons to deny a visa? Obviously, not proving a bonafide relationship is first and foremost. Not making enough money is another. Criminal record. Anything else? Can a visa be denied for any reason or is there specific denial reasons? Just curious if anyone knew... sometimes this whole process seems so subjective!

Thanx

AW

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. beneficiary is communist party membership

2. beneficiary was combatant against the usa in a recognized armed conflict

3. beneficiary found to be a member of a known visa fraud ring in china

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! "Not a bonafide relationship" is a catch-all reason that the VO can fit ANYONE that he wants to into.

Don't think that because a requirement is satisfied, that it's ruled out as a factor in a white-slip.

Reasons given are designed to fit the legalities, and NOT necessarily the actual situation with the couple.

Ya, what Randy said. I listed three LEGAL reasons (and there are more, either you or I can review the USCIS site for the list), but there's a whole dearth of 'other' crap that falls into 'not a bonafide relationship' , which in turn, I did not think fit your query of 'legal reason'.

Does anyone happen to know the legal reasons to deny a visa? Obviously, not proving a bonafide relationship is first and foremost. Not making enough money is another. Criminal record. Anything else? Can a visa be denied for any reason or is there specific denial reasons? Just curious if anyone knew... sometimes this whole process seems so subjective!

Thanx

AW

The reasons for denial often have nothing to do with legal reaons, it seems that many times the reason is extremely subjective. We had a member refused a visa, the verbal explanation was the couple was too young to get married, but bonafide relationship was the explanation.

This was not the judgement of the USCIS, US Government or even DOS, it was the idiocy of one visa officer in GuangZhou who by all rights should be a candidate for retroactive birth control.

Thanx

AW

The reasons for denial often have nothing to do with legal reaons, it seems that many times the reason is extremely subjective. We had a member refused a visa, the verbal explanation was the couple was too young to get married, but bonafide relationship was the explanation.

This was not the judgement of the USCIS, US Government or even DOS, it was the idiocy of one visa officer in GuangZhou who by all rights should be a candidate for retroactive birth control.

WOW. Intense.

Yes, heard one story about a denial based on: The woman was too ugly, no man would love her!!!! Can you believe a V.O. said this to her fiancee's face?! And in my case, a lawyer that I didn't hire told me the opposite, told me (in his exact words) "You are too good looking, no hot white girl would choose a short, skinny asian man for real." NICE. VERY NICE. Can I kill him? I think I told this story already but it STILL irks me. :rolleyes: :D :D grrrrrrrrrr....

How old was this couple you mention, if I may ask?

AW

Guest WenDylan

Here's a question? What reason would you think you could possibly be denied? Instead of searching for the same old answers, perhaps build on what might be unexpected? What do you think?

Here's a question? What reason would you think you could possibly be denied? Instead of searching for the same old answers, perhaps build on what might be unexpected? What do you think?

Good point... I worry too much. I know I am a paranoid nervous wreck. I can admit that. :rolleyes: there really ISN'T a reason, I have done above and beyond (proof wise, time spent together, visits, travel together out of the country and more) 95% of people in this process. If they don't approve my petition, they won't approve anyone's. I just need some faith and confidence. You are right, asking questions won't change anything now...There is nothing more I can do... maybe that is what is hard to accept - that this isn't under my control any longer. *control freak alert* :D All I can do now is WAIT and pray. I am just a woman in love who doesn't want to live the rest of her life in Asia. Best wishes to everyone and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and your loved ones.

*hugs*

AW

Edited by AmericanWoman (see edit history)
Guest WenDylan

I don't think there's anything wrong with being nervous, however you know your case better than anyone else, so if you are confident I wouldn't be worried! :rolleyes: It does really suck that you have no control and input in the interview, you really that into a good perspective.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Thanx

AW

WOW. Intense.

Yes, heard one story about a denial based on: The woman was too ugly, no man would love her!!!! Can you believe a V.O. said this to her fiancee's face?! And in my case, a lawyer that I didn't hire told me the opposite, told me (in his exact words) "You are too good looking, no hot white girl would choose a short, skinny asian man for real." NICE. VERY NICE. Can I kill him? I think I told this story already but it STILL irks me. :) :D :xmastree: grrrrrrrrrr....

How old was this couple you mention, if I may ask?

AW

Looks can be decieving.

Sounds like you've been hearing some 001 stories although I have heard some outrageous stories myself. In the end though all you can do is prepare yourself as best you can and hope for the best. Try not to broadcast your fears to your sweet heart. Confidence at the interview helps.

Thanx

AW

ok...now that i have my gal here now, i will respond to some things i have steered clear of in the past....maybe i am right, maybe i am wrong, but it is just my opinion or belief that first and foremost it is wise to never write in here of fears of a denial....i am positive that guz lurks in here sometimes and can sometimes put two and two together to know who is who and what their fears are and will begin to dig...in my opinion, is very wise to keep the cfl id extremely anonymous and i also think the posting of timelines just helps guz know who is who....maybe is just my 20/20 hindsight paranoia, but i think is wise to not let guz know anything more than absolutely necesary....and as for the interview, the visa officer you get is purely the luck of the draw...some will pass almost anyone with very few questions, others will treat your fiancee like a piece of dog crap with absolutely no respect and deny for any reason they decide...the visa officers have absolute power and control of your fiancee/wife's destiny and their decision is final with no recourse for you or your fiancee....no one should ever be allowed the power they enjoy...in the U.S., when people hear about immigration reform, they always tend to think of our neighbors to the south, but i think it should be everyone in the cfl's duty to inform their federal elected officials of the goings on in the consulate in china and how there needs to be more availability of recourse in the cases of denials and be able to do more things to resolve the denials in a manner that more usa citizen friendly, that will allow the usa citizen/petitioner more options to deal with denials and resolve it in a expediant manner...the usa citizen/petitioner should be able to directly talk to the visa officer about the denial to know why it was denied and have a chance to prove that the visa officers opinions are unsubstanciated...if their are things the visa officer knows about the beneficiary that the petitioner does not know, then it should be the duty of the visa officer to let the petitioner know these things..it would certainly help the petitioner deal with closure of a case if there is no possibility of ever getting their case approved....as darnell would say, "just my 2rmb"

According to GZ they have neither the time nor inclination to try and put two and two together and match CFL members to their case file. I know in threads that I have asked GZ speaks to read and intervene they asked me for petitioner information in order to help. I honestly don't think they lurk here to get dirt on petitioners.