Pu'erh (Puerh) Tea

The green tea thread was very interesting but I wanted to put in a plug for my favorite type of tea from our new home province - Yunnan, Puerh tea. I find green tea rather bland personally and read about puerh before I was able to try it. As the article says it has a bold, earthy taste and a beautiful dark, reddish amber color best enjoyed through a glass cup. I will not comment on what the color of green tea reminds me of... :ph34r: . I think for most people it is a bit of an acquired taste. I liked it immediately but laopo did not but now we both enjoy it. It has proven cholesterol lowering effects as well but I just flat-out enjoy the taste better than other tea. Unlike other teas it gets better with age, like a fine wine. So if you're up for something new in your tea drinking give it a try... :D or if you've already tried it whadyathink???

Pu'erh (Puerh) Tea

This is one of the most popular teas in the Teas Etc. line and in China. Pu'erh gets its name from a town in the southwestern province of the Yunnan region, and though tea is not grown in this town, it was at one time a thriving tea market.

Production

Pu'erh is a large leaf tea variety or Dayeh, and is grown and picked throughout the year, unlike other teas that require a dormant season. Although dark Pu'erh tastes much like black tea, it is not black or oolong tea, but falls into a category of its own. Pu'erh is processed much like black tea with the exception of a couple steps. The tea is picked, processed and partially fired allowing the leaves to retain moisture. The slightly moist tea is then piled. The natural bacterium on the leaves creates a reaction similar to that of a compost pile. The tea is then aged, in special underground rooms or caves, adding to its unique character. One of the most significant distinctions of this tea is that it gets better over time. These aged teas are prized and can be found in vintages, like wine, some dating back 40 to 50 to 100 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Types of Pu'erh and Brewing

The two main classifications of Pu'erh are green and dark, or oxidized Pu'erh. The tuo cha, meaning pressed, is a dark Pu'erh. Tuo cha's were developed in early China trade because the teas were bulky and hard to transport. Tea was pressed to compact the leaf reducing the size of the loads for long journeys.

Dark Pu'erh is just that, dark, due to the initial oxidation done before firing, like other black teas. These teas age well and change over time although not as significantly as green Pu'erh. These are not for the unadventurous tea drinker. They make a strong aromatic cup and most people are quick to judge whether they like or dislike Pu'erh. There are a couple of things to consider before judging your taste of these teas. First, Pu'erh comes in an enormous variety, not just dark or green, but in many types of both categories. Second, many types of Pu'erh smell earthy or even a bit fishy. Don't be discouraged, the aroma is going to be very different then the actual taste in your cup. Dark Pu'erh is the easiest to brew; unlike traditional tea preparation you can't over brew this tea. Prepare Pu'erh with the hottest water possible and steep for 5-7 minutes or longer if you like. You can wash your tealeaves once or twice to optimize the flavor. No matter what you do it is almost impossible to ruin this tea!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health Benefits

Whether in tuo cha or loose leaf forms, these unique teas have long been used in China for the medicinal benefits. The soothing properties, aid digestion and are perfect after heavy or greasy meals. More recent studies indicate powerful cholesterol lowering effects, blood cleansing properties and aid significantly in weight loss efforts. Many published studies have been done showing the enormous health benefits of this wonderful tea. The most eye opening of these studies was conducted in France several years ago. A blind study was conducted with 500 hyperlipidemia patients (individuals with advanced cholesterol conditions, usually controlled with medication). Half of the controlled group consumed 3-4 cups of Pu'erh daily, while the rest of the participants were given something else. After a 30-day period the results showed that drinking Pu'erh on a regular basis could significantly lower cholesterol and further research confirmed that Pu'erh was as effective as the most advanced cholesterol lowering medications available. This is just one of the many healthy benefits of this delicious tea.

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never been much of a tea drinker but my wife sent me some pu erh toucha one time and it was the best tea I've ever drank. I simply fell in love with it! I was having tea every night! I got her to send me another container after I finished the first one.

It came in a large round cardboard container with semi-circles about the size of a large marble, wrapped with tissue paper. It can be found on the internet but the price is very high.

Pu erh is a very good tea. The description given describes it to a tea!...(sorry for the pun)

Yes, I agree, Pu'erh Tea is distinctly different and better than green, oloog, or other flower teas. :blink:

I was introduced to it on my first trip into China in 2002 (entered from Hanoi, flew to Kunming and Lijiang). I brought back several rounds or cakes and have stashed away some to age. And yes, as Roger said in his posting.....it does get better with age! :D

You can search the internet and find rounds/cakes that are ancient and being sold for hundreds of dollars. At first, I thought the taste was quite musty.....but after time, one acquires a real taste for it and the mustiness developes a flavor of it's own. :P

PapaBear B)

Edited by PapaBear (see edit history)

The green tea thread was very interesting but I wanted to put in a plug for my favorite type of tea from our new home province - Yunnan, Puerh tea.

GREAT post, Roger!

I, too, have fallen in love with Pu'er tea (pronounced "pour-eh" or "purr-eh"). Lao Po has me on it to help with my blood pressure, cholesterol and weight. I started drinking it in earnest around the first of the year and I've lost 20 pounds so far. There are certainly other factors, but I don't doubt that the Pu'er is a big component in the weight loss.

It DOES look nasty, but the flavor is actually quite pleasant to me, and you can use the same leaf all day long, just steep it longer.

It is hard to find in the U.S. as some tea shops sell it but advise that it isn't fit for consumption. One specialty shop I visited told me it was "too old", which, of course, simply makes it more valuable. I don't know whether this attitude is a result of liability issues or if it's just ignorance, but I lean towards ignorance as most Americans don't know tea from corn chowder. It is actually hard to get ANY genuine tea in the States; the stuff I bring over always amazes and delights the people I've given it to.

Lao Po suggests two rinses with boiling water if the Pu'er is 4 years old or less, three rinses if 5 years or older. I've seen Pu'er that is more than 40 years old; it is like a wine vintage in a sense. You can reuse the leaf all day long, just steep longer, and always brew using boiling water (as opposed to the more delicate white and green teas which should be brewed at about 190 to 195 degrees).

Thanks for sharing,Rog...

Best Regards and Happy New Year to you and yours!

I will have the pleasure of trying this tea in March. My SO has some at her house. She did not give it to me before as she thought I would not like it. She knows by now that I like bitter things. I am very excited to see my SO soon. I will report back how she prepares it for me. And of course, I will bring some back along with the March harvest of the new green tea. ;)

<...>

It is hard to find in the U.S. as some tea shops sell it but advise that it isn't fit for consumption. One specialty shop I visited told me it was "too old", which, of course, simply makes it more valuable. I don't know whether this attitude is a result of liability issues or if it's just ignorance, but I lean towards ignorance as most Americans don't know tea from corn chowder.

<...>

I looked into it, and some forms of Pu'erh have high concentrations of flouride... frequent usage of said Pu'erh can cause dental / skeletal flourosis. I don't know if that is what they were referring to when they said it "isn't fit for consumption", but it does give you reason to be a little careful. AFAIK, not all forms of Pu'erh have this problem, but I have no way of knowing how to identify the good / risky stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into it, and some forms of Pu'erh have high concentrations of flouride... frequent usage of said Pu'erh can cause dental / skeletal flourosis. I don't know if that is what they were referring to when they said it "isn't fit for consumption", but it does give you reason to be a little careful. AFAIK, not all forms of Pu'erh have this problem, but I have no way of knowing how to identify the good / risky stuff.

Roost,

Look for tea that is certified by the Organic Tea Research and Development Center (OTRDC), Tea Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences. This will ensure that there is no contamination from fertilizers (a common source of fluoride), pesticides and/or other agricultural chemicals. The best teas are typically grown in a natural state, but looking for certification is a good idea.

Camellia Senensis is capable of absorbing and holding more fluoride than any other known plant, but health concerns regarding this property can be misleading. The fluoride, in the form of flourine, typically accumulates in older leaves of plants grown in Western China. I found the following two research articles to be very interesting:

"Lu Y, Guo WF, Yang XQ. Fluoride content in tea and its relationship with tea quality. J Agric Food Chem. 2004 Jul 14;52(14):4472-6.

The tea plant is known as a fluorine accumulator. Fluoride (F) content in fresh leaves collected from 14 plantations in China was investigated. The F increased with maturity, and the F variation was remarkable in the tender shoots. Furthermore, significant negative relationships were observed between F content and the content of the quality parameters total polyphenols and amino acids. These substances are rich in young leaves and poor in mature ones. With regard to quality of tea products, the relationship with F content was studied using 12 brands of tea products in four categories: green tea, oolong tea, black tea, and jasmine tea collected from six provinces. The F level increased with the decline in quality and showed good correlation with the quality grades. The results suggest that the F content could be used as a quality indicator for tea evaluation."

This would imply that the obverse is true; if fluorine content is inversely proportional to the quality of the tea, quality tea will have less fluorine.

The following article specifically addresses Pu'er tea:

"Safety evaluation and fluorine concentration of pu'er brick tea and bianxiao brick tea

J. Cao*, Y. Zhao and J. W. Liu

Tea and Health Laboratory, Hunan Medical University, Changsha, Hunan 410078, China

Accepted 22 June 1998. Available online 23 October 2000.

Abstract

Pu'er brick tea and Bianxiao brick tea are both compressed types of tea. Fluorine analysis was carried out on samples of Pu'er brick tea produced at different times in Yunnan Province and on samples of Bianxiao brick tea made in Hunan and Sichuan Province for supply especially to minority ethnic groups in border areas of China. The levels of water-soluble and water-insoluble fluorine were measured in the tea samples using an ion-specific electrode potentiometer. The concentration of water-soluble fluorine was much greater in Bianxiao brick tea than in Pu'er brick tea (mean levels 441 and 77 mg/kg, respectively). According to these figures, the fluorine intake associated with consuming an infusion of 30 g Pu'er brick tea/person/day is safe because it does not exceed the maximum recommended daily allowance (RDA) of up to 4.0 mg for adults. In contrast, the almost six times higher intake of fluorine from Bianxiao brick tea greatly exceeds the 4 mg RDA and is unsafe. The difference in the fluorine levels of the two types of brick tea can be attributed to differences in the materials used to make them: Pu'er brick tea is made from tender leaves whereas Bianxiao brick tea is made from old tough leaves in which fluorine has accumulated. We conclude that consumption of Pu'er brick tea is unlikely to induce fluorosis, which has been associated with consumption of Bianxiao brick tea."

It's reasonable to say that Pu'er grown in Yunnan is safe.

As for the benefits of Pu'er, my own story is remarkable. I've had high blood pressure since I was 20 years old. The first time my BP was checked was at a free screening in a mall. I had just played a rather spirited game of air hockey and figured it was a result of my enthusiasm for the game. I thought nothing of it until my early 40's when I went to the doctor because of severe headaches. My BP at that time was 150/100. Not good. I was put on an ACE inhibitor and my BP has been controlled at 125/90 to 135/90 ever since, with some spikes in the 140/100 range. Still not good, but better. I've been in that general range ever since, with no hope of ever getting off medication.

Lao Po told me that Pu'er is very healthy and she said that it can be helpful in losing weight, so I started drinking it regularly right around January 1st of this year. I HAVE lost weight, about 15 pounds, but that could be a result of eating less, which I have been doing. What surprised me was the first visit to my new doctor. My BP came in at 110/90. The 90 part is still not good, but I have NEVER tested below 125 on the high side, EVER in my life. Nothing else has changed; my BP has been high when I've been single, when I've been married, when I've weighed 165 pounds, when I've weighed 220 pounds, when I've been happy, when I've been sad, when I've been stressed, when I've been relaxed, when I've had a lot of money and when I haven't had ANY money. The only change I've been through is drinking about a quart of Pu'er tea every day. I think this is nothing short of remarkable. I'll see what happens next time I have my BP checked, but I'm confident that it's the tea.

I'll post further results!

Holy Cow! Is this for smokin or drinkin?

1949 Vintage Private Reserve Cave Aged Pu-Erh one ounce US $400

1978 Vintage Pu-Erh one ounce US $60

quarter pound US $200

pound US $600

1982 Vintage Pu-Erh one ounce US $40

quarter pound US $133

pound US $400

1989 Vintage Pu-Erh Wild Tree one ounce US $25

quarter pound US $80

pound US $250

2003 Organic Wild Tree Toucha one ounce US $7

quarter pound US $25

pound US $75

Holy Cow! Is this for smokin or drinkin?

1949 Vintage Private Reserve Cave Aged Pu-Erh one ounce US $400

1978 Vintage Pu-Erh one ounce US $60

quarter pound US $200

pound US $600

1982 Vintage Pu-Erh one ounce US $40

quarter pound US $133

pound US $400

1989 Vintage Pu-Erh Wild Tree one ounce US $25

quarter pound US $80

pound US $250

2003 Organic Wild Tree Toucha one ounce US $7

quarter pound US $25

pound US $75

What's the markup on Chinese tea in the US??? It seems the sky is the limit... :angry:

I am currently smoking... :o haha...drinking, a delightfully unpretentious puerh brick we bought in Yunnan. It says "Yunnan Chi Tse Beeng Cha" on it for whatever that's worth. We paid 188 RMB for the 500 g 'wheel' so that works out to only $1.42/oz... :D We also bought some stuff for 100 RMB that ain't so good... :( On our next excursion to the motherland I'm going to do more tasting in tea shoppes before buying... :huh: Right now I would say DO NOT buy any puerh in China you do not taste first. There are big differences... :unsure: But I know laopo is NEVER going to let me buy really expensive cha anyway... :yikes:

Roost,

Look for tea that is certified by the Organic Tea Research and Development Center (OTRDC), Tea Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences. This will ensure that there is no contamination from fertilizers (a common source of fluoride), pesticides and/or other agricultural chemicals. The best teas are typically grown in a natural state, but looking for certification is a good idea.

Camellia Senensis is capable of absorbing and holding more fluoride than any other known plant, but health concerns regarding this property can be misleading. The fluoride, in the form of flourine, typically accumulates in older leaves of plants grown in Western China. I found the following two research articles to be very interesting:

"Lu Y, Guo WF, Yang XQ. Fluoride content in tea and its relationship with tea quality. J Agric Food Chem. 2004 Jul 14;52(14):4472-6.

The tea plant is known as a fluorine accumulator. Fluoride (F) content in fresh leaves collected from 14 plantations in China was investigated. The F increased with maturity, and the F variation was remarkable in the tender shoots. Furthermore, significant negative relationships were observed between F content and the content of the quality parameters total polyphenols and amino acids. These substances are rich in young leaves and poor in mature ones. With regard to quality of tea products, the relationship with F content was studied using 12 brands of tea products in four categories: green tea, oolong tea, black tea, and jasmine tea collected from six provinces. The F level increased with the decline in quality and showed good correlation with the quality grades. The results suggest that the F content could be used as a quality indicator for tea evaluation."

This would imply that the obverse is true; if fluorine content is inversely proportional to the quality of the tea, quality tea will have less fluorine.

The following article specifically addresses Pu'er tea:

"Safety evaluation and fluorine concentration of pu'er brick tea and bianxiao brick tea

J. Cao*, Y. Zhao and J. W. Liu

Tea and Health Laboratory, Hunan Medical University, Changsha, Hunan 410078, China

Accepted 22 June 1998. Available online 23 October 2000.

Abstract

Pu'er brick tea and Bianxiao brick tea are both compressed types of tea. Fluorine analysis was carried out on samples of Pu'er brick tea produced at different times in Yunnan Province and on samples of Bianxiao brick tea made in Hunan and Sichuan Province for supply especially to minority ethnic groups in border areas of China. The levels of water-soluble and water-insoluble fluorine were measured in the tea samples using an ion-specific electrode potentiometer. The concentration of water-soluble fluorine was much greater in Bianxiao brick tea than in Pu'er brick tea (mean levels 441 and 77 mg/kg, respectively). According to these figures, the fluorine intake associated with consuming an infusion of 30 g Pu'er brick tea/person/day is safe because it does not exceed the maximum recommended daily allowance (RDA) of up to 4.0 mg for adults. In contrast, the almost six times higher intake of fluorine from Bianxiao brick tea greatly exceeds the 4 mg RDA and is unsafe. The difference in the fluorine levels of the two types of brick tea can be attributed to differences in the materials used to make them: Pu'er brick tea is made from tender leaves whereas Bianxiao brick tea is made from old tough leaves in which fluorine has accumulated. We conclude that consumption of Pu'er brick tea is unlikely to induce fluorosis, which has been associated with consumption of Bianxiao brick tea."

It's reasonable to say that Pu'er grown in Yunnan is safe.

As for the benefits of Pu'er, my own story is remarkable. I've had high blood pressure since I was 20 years old. The first time my BP was checked was at a free screening in a mall. I had just played a rather spirited game of air hockey and figured it was a result of my enthusiasm for the game. I thought nothing of it until my early 40's when I went to the doctor because of severe headaches. My BP at that time was 150/100. Not good. I was put on an ACE inhibitor and my BP has been controlled at 125/90 to 135/90 ever since, with some spikes in the 140/100 range. Still not good, but better. I've been in that general range ever since, with no hope of ever getting off medication.

Lao Po told me that Pu'er is very healthy and she said that it can be helpful in losing weight, so I started drinking it regularly right around January 1st of this year. I HAVE lost weight, about 15 pounds, but that could be a result of eating less, which I have been doing. What surprised me was the first visit to my new doctor. My BP came in at 110/90. The 90 part is still not good, but I have NEVER tested below 125 on the high side, EVER in my life. Nothing else has changed; my BP has been high when I've been single, when I've been married, when I've weighed 165 pounds, when I've weighed 220 pounds, when I've been happy, when I've been sad, when I've been stressed, when I've been relaxed, when I've had a lot of money and when I haven't had ANY money. The only change I've been through is drinking about a quart of Pu'er tea every day. I think this is nothing short of remarkable. I'll see what happens next time I have my BP checked, but I'm confident that it's the tea.

I'll post further results!

This is very interesting Mike. I also have elevated BP and I take a Norvasc every morning. I have a monitor and I'm going to attempt to quantify any differences I can detect with my BP too as relates to tea drinking. More at 11:00... :unsure:

This is very interesting Mike. I also have elevated BP and I take a Norvasc every morning. I have a monitor and I'm going to attempt to quantify any differences I can detect with my BP too as relates to tea drinking. More at 11:00... :lol:

Roger,

It could just be a fluke, but I don't think so. If I didn't have a lifelong history with this problem, I would be inclined to think it is a one time deal, but it's just too big a change for me.

I don't know if the Pu'er has anything to do with my weight loss, but I DO know the Pu'er has made it easier. I drink a lot of tea now and that alone probably makes me feel more full. Beats the h*ll out of drinking coffee or beer!

Best Regards

Here's a bunch of puerh teas from Holy Mountain Trading Co. It seems the pics did not copy but the familiar round, flattish cake is the most common but not the only shape by far. There are flat bricks, melon shaped cakes and cakes pressed into all kinds of different forms.

Pu-erh teas come from Yunnan province and improve with age. Some are still drinkable at age 50. They come in green, black, white and brick tea. These are teas with medicinal qualities, highly prized by the connoisseur. Tea leaves are withered, then, still slightly moist, they're heaped into piles where a bacterium creates a reaction. The leaves are then dried loose or compressed into tea bricks or cakes.

The peoples of the Yunnan-Tibet border have drunk pu-erh since the Tang dynasty, according to a Song dynasty scientific reference. The troops of Kublai Khan, "pacifying" the southwest after the 13th century Mongol conquest, are said to have introduced pu-erh to the rest of China for its medicinal value. Bricks of pu-erh tea constituted the first medium of monetary exchange used by nomads beyond the Great Wall of China, recorded in Chinese records as early as A.D. 476.

The aroma and flavor are earthy, and pu-erh is often blended with other teas. It is said to help lower blood cholesterol levels and increase metabolism.

Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath"

From China's Yunnan province comes this grease-cutting, coffee-kicker tea. It is aged, ripe and high octane, featuring a rich earthy taste with briny overtones. Each tea "button" is individually paper-wrapped. There are many health benefits attributed to this tea; it lowers cholestrol and tricglycerides, cleanses the blood, is great for hangovers and indigestion, and also a treatment for obesity. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. It's the perfect commuter tea. Simply place the tea unit in a glass thermos and fill with boiling water (let it steep overnight for "espresso" strength). P-TCS-1S Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1 oz. Price: $2.50

P-TCS-1a Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1/4 lb. Price: $8

P-TCS-1b Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1 lb. Price: $24

High Grade Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath"

Our High Grade Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath" comes in larger buttons and has the same great earthy taste with subtle elemental nuances. It handles multiple steepings without losing flavor. P-TCS-2S High Grade Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1 oz. Price: $3.50

P-TCS-2a High Grade Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1/4 lb. Price: $12

P-TCS-2b High Grade Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1 lb. Price: $40

Pu-erh Mini-Disks

These Pu-erh Mini-Disks are stamped with a floral pattern and have a delightful rich and earthy aroma. They brew a deep brown coffee-colored liquor with a satisfying, briny taste and smooth finish. Give them a long steep with fully boiling water. P-PMD-1S Pu-erh Mini-Disks, 7 disks Price: $2.50

P-PMD-1a Pu-erh Mini-Disks, 1/4 lb. Price: $8

P-PMD-1b Pu-erh Mini-Disks, 1 lb. Price: $24

Organic Menghai Mini Tuocha

Our Organic Menghai Mini Tuocha vintage 2003 comes in large buttons and brews a very satisfying dark, rich and earthy liquor. It handles multiple steepings without losing flavor. P-OMMT-1S Organic Menghai Mini Tuocha, 1 oz. Price: $2.75

P-OMMT-1a Organic Menghai Mini Tuocha, 1/4 lb. Price: $10

P-OMMT-1b Organic Menghai Mini Tuocha, 1 lb. Price: $30

Green Pu-erh Tuocha "Xia Guan"

Our Green Pu-erh mini-Tuochas from the renowned Xia Guan ("White Crane") farm are compressed high-grade tea with fresh green aroma in the dry leaf. The light tawny liquor has a smooth and slightly spicy taste. It handles multiple steepings without losing flavor. P-GTCS-1S Green Pu-erh Tuocha "Xia Guan", 1 oz. Price: $2.75

P-GTCS-1a Green Pu-erh Tuocha "Xia Guan", 1/4 lb. Price: $10

P-GTCS-1b Green Pu-erh Tuocha "Xia Guan", 1 lb. Price: $30

Pu-erh Tuocha with Rose

Here's our popular individually paper-wrapped Pu-erh Tuochas scented with rose petals. This tea from China's Yunnan province is reminiscent of a Rose Congou but with the health benefits of pu-erh. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-TR-1S Pu-erh Tuocha with Rose, 1 oz. Price: $3.50

P-TR-1a Pu-erh Tuocha with Rose, 1/4 lb. Price: $12

P-TR-1b Pu-erh Tuocha with Rose, 1 lb. Price: $40

Pu-erh Tuocha with Chrysanthemum (Gupu Cha)

A combination of Pu-erh and Chrysanthemum tea (made from the small pale yellow blossoms of that plant) is considered particularly good for cooling internal heat, and is also delicious. Called Gupu cha, it can be requested in Cantonese teahouses as Gook Po cha. Each paper-wrapped button yields multiple infusions. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-TC-1S Pu-erh Tuocha with Chrysanthemum, 1 oz. Price: $3.50

P-TC-1a Pu-erh Tuocha with Chrysanthemum, 1/4 lb. Price: $12

P-TC-1b Pu-erh Tuocha with Chrysanthemum, 1 lb. Price: $40

Pressed Green Pu-erh Cake Tea

Harvested in March 1995, this well-aged Pressed Green Pue-erh Cake tea comes from China's Yunnan province. There is a stylized flower cut into the cake. This tea will improve with age, but still provides the classic health benefits attributed to more seasoned pu-erhs. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 100g packages only) P-PGP-1a Pressed Green Pu-erh Cake, 100g Price: $20/cake

Te Ji Red Label Tuocha Pu-erh Xia Guan "White Crane"

The Te Ji Red Label is a green tuocha pu-erh tea vintage 2003 that comes from China's Yunnan province, and is the locally-renowned Xia Guan "White Crane" brand. It is shaped into a large button with original Chinese paper packaging. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 100g packages only) P-TJRL-1a Te Ji Red Label Tuocha Pu-erh Xia Guan, "White Crane," 100g Price: $8/button

Mini Menghai Beencha

The Mini Menghai Beencha pu-erh vintage 1999 brews a golden tawny liquor with a spicy, earthy aroma. It has a satisfying, slightly smoky taste. This tea benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 100g packages only) P-MMB-1a Mini Menghai Beencha, 100g Price: $20/cake

Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh

This Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh vintage 2005 comes from China's Yunnan province and has a distinctive large mushroom shape. It is cooked and ripe with a rich earthy taste, and provides the classic health benefits attributed to pu-erh -- lowering cholestrol and cleansing the blood. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. (Available in 240g packages only) P-TMP-1a Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh, 250g Price: $20/mushroom

Green Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh

Green Tibetan Mushroom Pue-erh has the distinctive large mushroom shape but is comprised of green pu-erh. This tea is vintage 2003 and offers all the health benefits attributed to pu-erh but with a taste different from our regular Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh above. The tea liquor has a golden color and smooth finish. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. (Available in 250g packages only) P-TMP-2a Green Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh, 250g Price: $20/mushroom

Loose-leaf Pu-erh

This Loose-leaf Pu-erh tea from Yunnan province has all of the medicinal qualities of the pressed pu-erh bricks, and the loose-leaf form makes it easy to brew kung-fu style. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-LP-1S Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1 oz. Price: $1.50

P-LP-1a Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $5

P-LP-1b Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $15

1st Grade Loose-leaf Pu-erh

This is our 1st Grade Loose-leaf Pu-erh tea from Yunnan province. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-LP-2S 1st Grade Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1 oz. Price: $3.50

P-LP-2a 1st Grade Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $12

P-LP-2b 1st Grade Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $40

Imperial Loose-leaf Pu-erh

This is our finest Loose-leaf Pu-erh. The dried leaves are chocolate-colored and yield a rich earthy liquor that can handle multiple infusions. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-LP-3S Imperial Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1 oz. Price: $6

P-LP-3a Imperial Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $22

P-LP-3b Imperial Loose-leaf Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $80

Organic Pu-erh

Organic pu-erh teas are extremely rare. This medium-leafed organic tea has a slight sherry-like fragrance and yields a deep brown liquor with a smooth, earthy flavor. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. P-OP-1S Organic Pu-erh, 1 oz. Price: $1.75

P-OP-1a Organic Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $6

P-OP-1b Organic Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $18

Yunnan Pu-erh, Very Old

From Yunnan province comes this aged loose-leaf pu-erh that brews a coffee-colored tea liquor with earthy aroma and hearty, pleasant taste. This tea benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. P-YPVO-1S Yunnan Pu-erh, Very Old, 1 oz. Price: $2.75

P-YPVO-1a Yunnan Pu-erh, Very Old, 1/4 lb. Price: $10

P-YPVO-1b Yunnan Pu-erh, Very Old, 1 lb. Price: $30

Aged Green Pu-erh Brick (Yung Been-cha)

This Aged Green Pu-erh Brick tea circa 1992 from the Xiaguan farm in Yunnan province has a delightful taste -- earthy, smooth and mature. It definitely has lots of character and personality, and is a great early morning tea to kickstart your day. This tea benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. It's the perfect tea for coffee drinkers! P-GPB-1a Aged Green Pu-erh Brick, approx. 240g Price: $50

Liu An (Aged Green Pu-erh Tea) in Bamboo Basket

Liu An is an aged green pu-erh tea from Anhui province that was harvested in March of 1999 and is attractively packaged in small bamboo baskets. Its medium brown liquor has a slightly earthy aroma and yields a rich brew with a complex, lively taste and a spicy finish. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 450g packages only) (Out of stock) P-LA-1a Liu An (Aged Green Pu-erh Tea) in Bamboo Basket, approx. 450g Price: $35

Dragon-Phoenix Pu-erh in Bamboo Basket

Four cakes of vintage 2004 cooked pu-erh tea -- two stamped with the shape of a dragon, two with the shape of a phoenix -- are presented in a bamboo basket with lid. Its yields a reddish-brown liquor with a slightly briny aroma and rich, smooth taste. This tea benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in approx. 940g packages only) P-DPB-1a Dragon-Phoenix Pu-erh in Bamboo Basket, approx. 940g Price: $36

Silver Bud Beencha

This pu-erh tea harvested in March 2002 comes from Nannuo Shan, Menghai County in Yunnan province. Wild and cultivated tea trees, some more than 1,000 years old, have been found in the Nannuo mountains. Local people call these tea trees the "Tea Tree Kings." This tea brews a golden brown liquor with a spicy aroma and a smooth, slightly smoky taste. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 250g cakes only.) P-SBB-1a Silver Bud Beencha, 250g Price: $40

Gold Bud Beencha

This pu-erh tea harvested in March 2002 comes from Menghai County in Yunnan province. It brews a deep, dark brown liquor with a briny aroma, satisfying taste and a smooth finish. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 250g cakes only.) P-GBB-1a Gold Bud Beencha, 250g Price: $35

Horse Brick Pu-erh

This pu-erh tea harvested in March 2002, Year of the Horse, brews a dark reddish-brown liquor with a pleasantly earthy scent and a rich and smooth taste. The tea brick is stamped front and back with Chinese characters for the Year of the Horse, and the front of the brick has an image of a running horse pressed into its surface. This tea benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 470g bricks only.) P-HBP-1a Horse Brick Pu-erh, 470g Price: $35

Green Pu-erh

This Green Pu-erh from Yunnan province has twisted, khaki-colored leaves that yield a warm golden liquor. Its taste is full and satisfying. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-GPE-1S Green Pu-erh, 1/2 oz. Price: $2

P-GPE-1a Green Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $12

P-GPE-1b Green Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $40

Large Leaf Aged Pu-erh from Old Trees

This Large Leaf Aged Pu-erh from Old Trees has a delightful aroma like an ancient wildwood. It is grown in the Six Ancient Mountains in southern Yunnan province. The tea yields a dark, earthy liquor and smooth flavor with little aftertaste. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. P-LL-1S Large Leaf Aged Pu-erh, 1/2 oz. Price: $2

P-LL-1a Large Leaf Aged Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $12

P-LL-1b Large Leaf Aged Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $40

2002 Fang Zhuan Cha Pu-erh Brick

Fang Zhuan Cha from Yunnan province's China Ancient farm is a green pu-erh brick tea, vintage 2002. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. P-FZC-2004 Menghai 2004 Fang Zhuan Cha Pu-erh Brick, approx. 100g Price: $12/brick

Menghai 1997 Raw Pu-erh Tuocha

This uncooked pu-erh from Yunnan province's oldest and most famous farm yields a reddish liquor infused with pleasant flavor. It is a vintage 1997 tea that benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 100g packages only.) P-MRP-1997 Menghai 1997 Raw Pu-erh Tuocha, approx. 100g Price: $24/tuocha

Aged Long Leaf Pu-erh

This Aged Long Leaf Pu-erh from Yunnan province has a delightful earthy aroma characteristic of quality aged pu-erhs. The attractive dry leaves of this 15-year-old tea yield a dark, loamy liquor with round smooth flavor and little aftertaste. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. P-ALL-1S Aged Long Leaf Aged Pu-erh, 1/2 oz. Price: $2.50

P-ALL-1a Aged Long Leaf Aged Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $17

P-ALL-1b Aged Long Leaf Aged Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $60

Golden Wang Pu-erh

Called the "King of Pu-erh Teas," Golden Wang Pu-erh is fermented approximately twice as long as normal fermented pu-erh (120 days versus 60 days). The leaves are golden brown with a refreshing, earthy aroma and taste. The tea benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. P-GWP-1S Golden Wang Pu-erh, 1 oz. Price: $5

P-GWP-1a Golden Wang Pu-erh, 1/4 lb. Price: $17

P-GWP-1b Golden Wang Pu-erh, 1 lb. Price: $60

Green Menghai Beencha Pu-erh

Harvested in March 1999, this lightly-aged Green Menghai Pu-erh Cake tea comes from China's Yunnan province. It yields a reddish-golden liquor with pure aroma, full complex flavor and sweet aftertaste. This tea will improve with age, and like all pu-erhs, aids in digestion and quickens recovery from fatigue or intoxication. It benefits from a long steep with fully boiling water. (Available in 375g packages only) P-GMB-99 Green Menghai Beencha Pu-erh, 375g. Price: $40/cake

Jiu Wan Silver Tips Beencha

This 2004 Yunnan green pu-erh tea has beautiful silvery tips that yield a light tawny tea liquor with a taste reminiscent of a Darjeeling silver needle tea. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. (Available in approx. 357g packages only) P-JWSTB-1a Jiu Wan Silver Tips Beencha, approx. 357g Price: $24/cake

Tangerine Fermented Pu-erh

A delicious high-quality pu-erh leaf has been packed into the rind of a whole Yunnan tangerine, and then allowed to dry in the sun for about a week. The scent and taste of citrus is very present in this mellow, smooth, fermented in tangerine pu-erh, vintage 2004. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. P-TFP-1a Tangerine Fermented Pu-erh Price: $5/each

Premium You Zi Cha (Aged Oolong in Pomelo Skin)

In Yunnan province this 2002 vintage oolong tea aged in pomelo skin is enjoyed as a medicinal health tonic. The tea is often brewed with small broken pieces of the pomelo skin included and yields a light brown liquor with earthy scent. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. P-YZC-1S Premium You Zi Cha (Aged Oolong in Pomelo Skin), 1 oz. sample Price: $2

P-YZC-1a Premium You Zi Cha (Aged Oolong in Pomelo Skin), approx. 250g Price: $18/each

888 Pu-erh Tribute Tea

This pu-erh tribute tea vintage 2005 is from Luxi in the Dehong prefecture of Yunnan, a lawless and wild region that borders Myanmar. Like the region, all the trees from which this tea is harvested are wild; they are accessible only by trails, not roads. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. P-888-1a 888 Pu-erh Tribute Tea, 250g cake Price: $8

888 Pu-erh Tribute Tea Bundle

Seven individual vintage 2005 888 pu-erh tribute tea cakes from Luxi in the Dehong prefecture are wrapped in bamboo leaf and fiber cords. Savor them now or age for future tea-drinking pleasure. This tea bundle makes an impressive gift! Give the tea a long steep with full boiling water. P-888-1b 888 Pu-erh Tribute Tea Bundle,

7 cakes, 250g each Price: $48

Chi Tse Beencha, Aged Vietnamese Pu-erh, Private Reserve

This vintage 1995 pu-erh tea is grown in Vietnam and goes through a process of optimum fermentation and steaming in Yunnan province after which the tea is pressed into a disk-like cake. It is then aged to achieve a sublime aroma and yields a deep tawny tea liquor. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. (Available in approx. 400g packages only) P-CTB-1a Chi Tse Beencha, Aged Vietnamese Pu-erh, Private Reserve, approx. 400g Price: $50/cake

Silver Needle Beencha, Jing Mai Qi Zi Bing Cha

This vintage 2002 Yunnan pu-erh tea of beautiful silvery needles yields a light tawny tea liquor with a smooth, slightly spicey taste. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. (Available in approx. 345g packages only) P-SNB-1a Silver Needle Beencha, Jing Mai Qi Zi Bing Cha, approx. 345g. Price: $80/cake

Golden Melon Pu-erh

This cooked pu-erh tea vintage 2004 has a satisfying taste with briny overtones and a superb elemental fragrance. It is available in three sizes: 100 grams, 250 grams and 500 grams. Give it a long steep with fully boiling water. P-GMP-1a Golden Melon Pu-erh, approx. 100g Price: $5/each

P-GMP-2a Golden Melon Pu-erh, approx. 250g Price: $11/each

P-GMP-3a Golden Melon Pu-erh, approx. 500g Price: $20/each

Special Pu-erh Cakes

Limited quantities of these excellent pu-erhs from top farms are available. Perfect for aging or everyday use. (Click on thumbnails to go to larger photo.) P-SPC-1a 2005 Haiwan Lao Tong Zhi Uncooked Been-cha, approx. 357g Price: $18/each

P-SPC-2a 2003 Dadugang Elabora King Tea Biscuit Been-cha, approx. 357g Price: $25/each

P-SPC-3a 2006 Six Famous Tea Mountain Wild Arbor Red Label Cooked Organic, approx. 357g Price: $25/each

P-SPC-4a 2005 Menghai 8542 "Da Ye" Uncooked Been-cha, approx. 400g Price: $27/each

P-SPC-6a 2005 Menghai 7552 Cooked Pu-erh, approx. 400g Price: $28/each

P-SPC-8a 2005 Menghai 7742 Ancient Wild Trees Uncooked Pu-erh, approx. 380g Price: $32/each

P-SPC-9a 1999 Dadugang Yi Wu Jin Pin Wild Pu-erh, approx. 385g Price: $44/each

P-SPC-10a 1999 Wild Ancient Tea Tree of Jingmai Mountain Mini-Beencha, approx. 120g Price: $24/each