For the employer's purpose, YuHui needs to fill out an I-9 form showing she is eligible to work. The application for EAD is the proof and she has 90 days to produce the EAD or I-551 stamp in her passport. If she does NOT get the EAD within 90 days of filing, she can go to the local office and demand a temp one.

This depends on the employer understanding the law.

Yes,. I know that.. But actually, no one asked her for it believe it or not.. but we'll play it safe in case BCIS is snooping around CDL :lol:

Actually I-9's ( an employer responsibility to fill out and keep records of ) are required for employees, not free-lancers... But from a free lancer standpoint, you do need a authorization to work to legally get "law-abiding" compensation. I , or my company can contract a Chinese translator in Shanghai or Fijii or wherever,and pay them.. I don't need an I-9. But the said translator still needs to abide by local tax laws..

Yesterday, Li was informally approached about teaching Chinese part time at a local home-school program. Unfortunately, no SSN. <_<

I'm teaching Chinese every weekend too, and the school president didn't ask me for a SSN or EAD at all. I guess they are badly short of teachers. :lol:

Glad to hear you are teaching Chinese Littlebear. I am sure that you find that a rewarding experience. It is good to hear from you. Please stay in touch. :rolleyes: :blink:

Glad to hear that there is apparently starting to be a demand for Chinese language classes in America for two reasons. One is that I think it is one of the most useful languages for someone to learn. Spanish will always be most popular in America because the opportunity to use it is all around you, but for future use, especially in business, Chinese will be the one in demand in the future. Secondly, my wife has a dream of being able to teach Chinese language, music and dance in the US. Her second teaching career.

I think I'd like to share my SSN experience.

When we filed for a socail security number, as for item 3----citizenship, we checked "legal alien not allowed to work". When we handed in the form, the woman in SSA looked at my visa and told us that I was allowed to work. We were very glad to know that, although at the same time we were much confused because we didn't see anything special in my visa. We waited for 6 weeks before I finally got my SSN, but it has the statement" VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" on it. So we went to the local SSA, this time we were told that I-94 was just the INS AUTHORIZATION.

Now I know I still need EAD, I'm :P ing

Q&Q

Glad to hear that there is apparently starting to be a demand for Chinese language classes in America for two reasons.  One is that I think it is one of the most useful languages for someone to learn.  Spanish will always be most popular in America because the opportunity to use it is all around you, but for future use, especially in business, Chinese will be the one in demand in the future.  Secondly, my wife has a dream of being able to teach Chinese language, music and dance in the US.  Her second teaching career.

How much singing and dancing have you learned from her, Owen? :P

Yesterday, Li was informally approached about teaching Chinese part time at a local home-school program. Unfortunately, no SSN. :(

I'm teaching Chinese every weekend too, and the school president didn't ask me for a SSN or EAD at all. I guess they are badly short of teachers. ;)

Glad to hear you are teaching Chinese Littlebear. I am sure that you find that a rewarding experience. It is good to hear from you. Please stay in touch. :) :D

Sure! And thank you for your Easter card Mick and Li! B)

Eric what's the problem? We got our temporary (90) day EAD card two days after Lili arrived from China and her SSN within ten days. Today for $120 she got her permenant EAD card good for two years.

We never had to wait for either, we just applied and received both the temp and permenant one on the same day we applied.

Eric what's the problem?  We got our temporary (90) day EAD card two days after Lili arrived from China and her SSN within ten days.  Today for $120 she got her permenant EAD card good for two years.

We never had to wait for either, we just applied and received both the temp and permenant one on the same day we applied.

different offices work different way ( see the FP post ) ... In KS, you have to mail-in.

It's not a problem at all. She doesn't need to work right this minute, at least not for the money..

I am more anxious to get the APso we can leave to Germany 5/14

We did not applied for temp EAD as we got married shortly thereafter ( her arrival ) We just want the perm EAD just for the heck of it :blink:

Just want to confirm with you guys. My wife will be here hopefully soon on a K3. We intend to wait for our CR1s since we have already waited for it for over 1 year. If she wants to work, all we need is EAD, no need to file OAS. Is this right?

Thanks a lot!

Jerry

Just want to confirm with you guys.  My wife will be here hopefully soon on a K3.  We intend to wait for our CR1s since we have already waited for it for over 1 year.  If she wants to work, all we need is EAD, no need to file OAS.    Is this right?

Thanks a lot!

Jerry

Jerry.

You have 2 years to file AOS

"The K3/K4 can file adjustment of status any time during that 2-year period. However, if they choose to work, they will have to show that they are actively pursuing adjustment of status."

Then again, I'm not sure about the CR1 business

Go there for details

Eric, the main reason we filed for the temporary EAD card is that it was just another form of proof of ID. This made it easier when we filed for the SSN and for her driver's learners permit. I told her when she came she should take a few months off before thinking about work.

Now she is just starting to look for work.