How to change name after arrival in US?

Hi all,

I'm a K1 gal fm Shanghai. I would like to change my name after I get married. Not only add my huz's surname but also use my English name Lori., while keep my given name as a middle name. Is that possible for me to change my name before I get my AOS or EAD done? What procedure should I get thru after arrival in US? Do I need to add English Name on my current Chinese passport?

Thanks in advance/ tongue.gif

Hi all,

I'm a K1 gal fm Shanghai. I would like to change my name after I get married. Not only add my huz's surname but also use my English name Lori., while keep my given name  as a middle name. Is that possible for me to change my name before I get my AOS or EAD done? What procedure should I get thru after arrival in US? Do I need to add English Name on my current Chinese passport?

Thanks in advance/ ;)

Just sign your new name on your marriage licence. That's all

Then include a copy of it with everything you sent to BCIS so they know you are you and the paperwork match. File all AOS papers with you new name.

If you get a SSN before marrying, use your "old name " then you can have the card amended by filing another SS-5 form ( including copy of your marriage licence )

For your chinese passport, I think you cannot "add-on" You will have to have another one issued. Chinese consulates will not accept a simple copy of the marriage licence ( China is not part of the hague convention on legalization of documents ).

Take your licence to the Secretary of State of the state you were married in. they will affix an "apostille/ seal " . Then the Chinese consulate can authenticate the state-certified document

" while keep my given name as a middle name" Very good idea. This is exactly what Yuhui did.

Thanks Tony, I bm'd that site as it seemed very informative. After reading some of it, it seems that it would not be much trouble to change names since she has no official docs in the U.S. yet, such as marriage, driver license, SSN, etc.

Eric, I was thinking of the same thing - suggesting that she keep her family name which is short, as her middle name since she currently has no middle name. Her first name is also short and easily pronounced, so no need for a new American name. :blink:

Thanks Tony, I bm'd that site as it seemed very informative.  After reading some of it, it seems that it would not be much trouble to change names since she has no official docs in the U.S. yet, such as marriage, driver license, SSN, etc.

Eric, I was thinking of the same thing - suggesting that she keep her family name which is short, as her middle name since she currently has no middle name.  Her first name is also short and easily pronounced, so no need for a new American name. :(

I think it also preserve her "family name heritage" so to speak... ;) It's only fair to her/them.

Hi all,

I'm a K1 gal fm Shanghai. I would like to change my name after I get married. Not only add my huz's surname but also use my English name Lori., while keep my given name  as a middle name. Is that possible for me to change my name before I get my AOS or EAD done? What procedure should I get thru after arrival in US? Do I need to add English Name on my current Chinese passport?

Thanks in advance/ :o

Lori -

I did exactly the way you want to do with your name. I don't know what state you are in but I know for a fact in TEXAS, you can change use your husband's last name after you get married, legally without any problem. Marriage license will use your maiden name, but you can show your marriage certificate to change any of your personal ID documents, like driver's license, SSN card, etc. As to the first name, in Texas, we need to go through court, cost money to do so, but can be done. The easiest way is you use your husband name now and change your first name at the citizenship interview. The INS name change form is legally biding. I had my Chinese name for 7 years in this country, but everyone knows me by Charlotte. All my documents show my Chinese name until I became a citizen. It does not really matter. I kept my Chinese family name as my middle name; this way I still have something Chinese in my name without intimidating my American friends. I don't know if you have read about my Chinese name change post I did earlier. Here is the link. This might give you some idea, why I did what did with my name. Hope this helps. BTW, every state may have different laws about name change, you may call an attorney about it. As to your Chinese passport, you need to contact the Chinese consulate in your state jurisdiction. I believe you have to reply for a new passport with your marriage license.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....2e2ef854aa53341

Yuhui kept her first name... Although hard to pronounce, we found out that people could do it by saying "You-We" Close enough ! :lol:

I wanted her to keep her first name.. And she agreed.. First, I like it :-) and kinda would have felt weird to call her Yuhui at home as European I have no problem with the guttural sound, and everybody else call her Denise or something ;)

She made her last name as middle initial and we have both same last name.

Works great ! So her full legal name is her full maiden name + my last name

;)

Hi all,

I'm a K1 gal fm Shanghai. I would like to change my name after I get married. Not only add my huz's surname but also use my English name Lori., while keep my given name  as a middle name. Is that possible for me to change my name before I get my AOS or EAD done? What procedure should I get thru after arrival in US? Do I need to add English Name on my current Chinese passport?

Thanks in advance/ :P

Lori -

I did exactly the way you want to do with your name. I don't know what state you are in but I know for a fact in TEXAS, you can change use your husband's last name after you get married, legally without any problem. Marriage license will use your maiden name, but you can show your marriage certificate to change any of your personal ID documents, like driver's license, SSN card, etc. As to the first name, in Texas, we need to go through court, cost money to do so, but can be done. The easiest way is you use your husband name now and change your first name at the citizenship interview. The INS name change form is legally biding. I had my Chinese name for 7 years in this country, but everyone knows me by Charlotte. All my documents show my Chinese name until I became a citizen. It does not really matter. I kept my Chinese family name as my middle name; this way I still have something Chinese in my name without intimidating my American friends. I don't know if you have read about my Chinese name change post I did earlier. Here is the link. This might give you some idea, why I did what did with my name. Hope this helps. BTW, every state may have different laws about name change, you may call an attorney about it. As to your Chinese passport, you need to contact the Chinese consulate in your state jurisdiction. I believe you have to reply for a new passport with your marriage license.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....2e2ef854aa53341

Thanks a lot, Charllote.

I'm going to Fremont, California. My Chinese given name is "Min" which sounds in English like "Mean", hahahaha. Anyway we'll do whatever is easy for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What happens in Texas if the fiancee just signs a new first name on the marriage certificate?

-Emery :o

I don't have experience about first name change on license. Usually they won't allow it, but if you get a guffy employee, you may be in luck. I would not let anyone change my name without proper documentation. A divorce lawyer can argue about the validity of a marriage certificate if the names have no legal documentation backup.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going to Fremont, California. My Chinese given name is "Min" which sounds in English like "Mean", hahahaha. Anyway we'll do whatever is easy for us.

hey, Ming doesn't sound that bad. Don't you know the ShangHai kid - Yao Ming from the Houston Rocket? and he got a nickname - the Ming dynasty. :angry: