I-864 old vs new forms

david_dawei

We are aware of the USCIS ruling for the new I-864 form, effective July 21, and the 90 day grace period for the old form.. Oct 19... thereafter, only the new form is to be used.

Since this is a USCIS ruling, can you clarify if the consulate is also following these dates? That after Oct. 19, you will only accept the new I-864 form?

thanks.

• 1 month later...

Dear CFL,

All American Embassies and Consulates that issue immigrant visas have been authorized to accept old versions of Form I-864 and Form I-864A that they or the National Visa Center receive until January 17, 2007 (180 days from the effective date of the final rule, July 21, 2006). In other words, they may adjudicate an Immigrant Visa case to completion even if the old versions of the form are included, so long as those forms were submitted to the issuing Embassy or Consulate overseas, or to NVC, prior to January 17, 2007.

That is, while USCIS only accepted old versions of the I-864 and I-864A until October 19, 2006, our grace period is extended until January 17, 2007. We hope this clarifies the issue.

Sincerely,

USCONGUZ