Is I-864 required for the interview

Dear USCONGUZ,

There is some confusion about the Affidavit of support, and here are the questions.

1. As to a CR type application, if an I-864 for the applicant has already been submitted to the NVC by the petitioner (according to the CR1/CR2 procedure, this is usually before packet 3), does the applicant have to submit another I-864 during the interview?

2. If the petitioner has filed one petition for his new spouse to have a CR1 Visa and another petition for his new spouse's child to have a CR2 Visa - at the same time, does he have to prepare two sets of AoS supporting document for the applicants to take to the interview, that is, one set for each applicant? Or does he only have to prepare one set of the supporting documents for the two applicants, and this one set can be shared in the two cases during the visa process after the interview?

If the former, are photocopies of supporting documents acceptable? Because a document, like a proof of the ownerships of assets, usually has one original copy. If acceptable, are original signatures of the petitioner required on the photocopies?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

1. If you've already submitted an I-864 to the NVC, it is not mandatory to submit a new one at the interview. However, if the interviewing officer has any concerns about the financial support aspects of the case, the officer can ask the beneficiary to provide an updated I-864 (as well as other financial documents). It is best to have an updated I-864 at the interview, but you don't need to submit it unless the interviewing officer requests it.

2. As the CR1 and CR2 are 2 separate petitions/case files, you will need to prepare a set of AOS supporting documents for each beneficiary. Photocopies of tax returns and other supporting documents (deeds, leases, etc) are acceptable. Original signatures on photocopies are not required. However, the I-864 must be an original for each IR/CR beneficiary.