Questions about interview, blue slips, etc.

Stone

From reading the posts made by USCONGUZ, I understand that many VOs come and go, as they cycle through their assignments, and different VOs have varying experiences and trainings in handling immigration visa petitions. After reading the blue slip stories which happened to a few fellow CFL members, in thinking about the traumatic and devastating impact on the beneficiaries and the petitioners, could I ask the following questions?

(1) After the beneficiary is handed a blue slip, can she/he ask to speak to a VO supervisor to have a “second opinion” right afterwards? As each VO handles so many cases each day, is it possible that one VO might overlook some critical evidences which might be found by a second VO during the ensuing review?

(2) Is video tape always required or only required when the VO suspects some communication problem between the American petitioner and the beneficiary? If the beneficiary can present other convincing evidences (such as the Petitioner’s first language is Chinese, the petitioner later immigrated to the U.S. and becomes a U.S. citizen, and/or the petitioner held multiple jobs in China, etc.), would that eliminate the need for a video tape?

(3) Sometimes, the Chinese beneficiary speaks English poorly and is totally uninformed of the complicated immigration process (i.e. terminologies, etc.), can the beneficiary ask for a translator or will the Consulate appoint one? As some VO might not understand Chinese very well, poor communication plus misunderstandings between the VO and the beneficiary during the interview can jeopardize an otherwise successful interview.

I saw many blue slips were eventually resolved for CFL members. I am just thinking how we can make the process more efficient and less stressful. Your future and your wives future are all in the hands of VOs, and are decided in a few minutes. Again, thanks for helping us out here. You comments are greatly appreciated.

Paul

From reading the posts made by USCONGUZ, I understand that many VOs come and go, as they cycle through their assignments, and different VOs have varying experiences and trainings in handling immigration visa petitions. After reading the blue slip stories which happened to a few fellow CFL members, in thinking about the traumatic and devastating impact on the beneficiaries and the petitioners, could I ask the following questions?

(1) After the beneficiary is handed a blue slip, can she/he ask to speak to a VO supervisor to have a “second opinion” right afterwards?  As each VO handles so many cases each day, is it possible that one VO might overlook some critical evidences which might be found by a second VO during the ensuing review?

(2)  Is video tape always required or only required when the VO suspects some communication problem between the American petitioner and the beneficiary?  If the beneficiary can present other convincing evidences (such as the Petitioner’s first language is Chinese, the petitioner later immigrated to the U.S. and becomes a U.S. citizen, and/or the petitioner held multiple jobs in China, etc.),  would that eliminate the need for a video tape?

(3) Sometimes, the Chinese beneficiary speaks English poorly and is totally uninformed of the complicated immigration process (i.e. terminologies, etc.), can the beneficiary ask for a translator or will the Consulate appoint one?  As some VO might not understand Chinese very well, poor communication plus misunderstandings between the VO and the beneficiary during the interview can jeopardize an otherwise successful interview.

I saw many blue slips were eventually resolved for CFL members. I am just thinking how we can make the process more efficient and less stressful. Your future and your wives future are all in the hands of VOs, and are decided in a few minutes. Again, thanks for helping us out here. You comments are greatly appreciated.

Paul

176261[/snapback]

1) If an applicant is refused he/she is given specific instructions on how they can submit more evidence.

2) A video tape would only be requested in situations where it is unclear whether or not an applicant and petioner have a common language. If the petitioner is also a native speaker of the same Chinese dialect as the applicant this would naturally alleviate this concern.

3)Most Consular Officers here speak Mandarin Chinese well enough to perform interviews in that language. If the applicant cannot speak Mandarin or English, then we usually have one of our Chinese co-workers who speaks the applicant's dialect translate. However, most applicants, especially fiance or marriage based visa applicants, speak Mandarin or English well enough that this is not an issue.

Sincerely,

IV Unit, U.S. Consulate, Guangzhou, China