aos limbo

just curious, :huh:

my wife had her aos interview 8/26/05. At that time the immigration officer said she had passed and should recieve her green card in 3-4 weeks. Well, Oct. 1 rolled around, still no card, so i called the ever helpful 800 number, they filed a inquiry and said to we would have to possibly wait another 30 days for a response from that. Being the pain in the but that i am, i contacted an aid in my senator's office, he found out that my wife is undergoing a security check from our favorite fast acting government dept., homeland security and they had no time estimate. We still haven't had any response as of today regarding the greencard, other than what the senator's aide told us. i was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and how long this check takes?

if anyone is from ohio the senator's aide that helped us out is Joe Potestivo, really nice guy. he works for both ohio senators on immigration issues. we found out that he can not do much with passing anything, but he does have access to case information that we the general public don't.

thanks & best of luck for all

after the so arrives the fun begins :P

dansm

Dansm: Did the senator's aid ask you to sign a consent form so that he can access your records? If not, you most likely just got a standard canned response that was probably just a guess on his part . . . . .

Unless the right to privacy rules have changed in the last few months, no one other than the petitioner or beneficiary can inquire into a particular case without explicit permission.

Dansm: Did the senator's aid ask you to sign a consent form so that he can access your records? If not, you most likely just got a standard canned response that was probably just a guess on his part . . . . .

Unless the right to privacy rules have changed in the last few months, no one other than the petitioner or beneficiary can inquire into a particular case without explicit permission.

164787[/snapback]

i don't know about all the legalities of the right to privacy, but we have contacted the senator's aid twice, not signed anything and each time his information has proven to be more detailed and more timely than the 800 number.

here is an update to our case and hopefully pass on a little info in one of the many grey areas;

my stepson had his biometrics today, so since we were at the imm office, i made an infopass appt. about my wife's green card. needless to say after much questioning the official at the office admitted that my wife's case is pending a security check, same as the aid said a couple of weeks ago. he said this check can take anywhere between 1 day and 2 years to complete and there is no way to get a better time estimate or do anything to expedite this.

So thank goodness for the [SIZE=7]Bureacracy of Homeland Insecurity & Fear[/size], and the worthless president who brought us this great government dept. ;) :ph34r:

thanks for the responses, especially tunger88, most positive news we've heard all day.

best of luck to all

it's like i told my wife,

America likes her so much that they won't let her leave :blink:

i got belted for that remark ;)

Did your wife get the temporary 1-year stamp in her passport? (I-155)

164626[/snapback]

tywy,

I had had same result on a June interview. We passed with flying colors, however the "security check is not complete and we have no idea when it will be complete". Therefore, no stamp, no green card, and nothing.

I know of someone who is in the same situation from a January interview. For some unknown reason, some I-485's are getting black-holed.

Yes, I am trying to shake the trees somewhat. However, in June it will be 2 years married, so I am wavering on how much pressure to apply, if you get my drift.

Edited by Stats (see edit history)

We are in the SAME situation. We mailed the I485 with a receipt date of April 29, 2004. We had our interview Feb 2005, and are waiting on a security clearance....we have CALLED and CALLED and CALLED, and written LETTERS and written LETTERS and written LETTERS and THEN CALLED again and we have gotten NO WHERE! We are about to contact a senator too, AGAIN, but we don't know that we will get anywhere with that either. We are SO frustrated!! We passed the interview and they told my husband that he should receive his GC in about 2 to 3 months and to call back then....we did, and at that time submitted an inquiry bc his case was outside of processing time/date...we have called EVERY month since then, May-Nov., except Sept & Oct b/c we knew the New Orleans office was closed due to Hurricane Katrina, and we have gotten no where. After calling every month for three months, on the fourth month you have the "right" to speak to an immigration officer. It does no good, but at least for a minute you THINK you MIGHT get an answer....anyway, also, one more bit of info, we don't really have the money to do this right now, but if it is what it takes we will find the money, BUT after the security check/background check has been out for ONE YEAR with NO response....you have the RIGHT to a new one, or a restart of the background check. But the problem is that the only way to enforce this or GET your RIGHT with this is with a lawyer, and who can afford that one??? we requested the background check be restarted 3 months ago, and as of nov. 1, it hasn't been done....we are still waiting with an essentially "expired" background check...after one year, they figure there must be some mistake or something, but will not restart it unless you get a lawyer to threaten to sue them!!

let us know if anyone else finds out any more info on this topic! we are very frustrated about this and are in the same boat!!!!

kim and jacob :ph34r:

fyi- we have been married 1 year and almost 7 months, looking at 2 years in april!

Edited by kimnjake (see edit history)

Thanks Kim, Jake for sharing your story and info. It's nice to know we are not the only one in this boat. i'll post anything that may happen with our senators' aide, I plan to email him again and try & get more specific info from him. I don't think it would hurt to contact your senator, the more people working on this maybe someone can get some answers.

i hope you & all of us security check nightmare folks get some good news soon.

Happy upcoming 1st birthday for Joeseph :o

Edited by dansm (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...
We had our interview Oct 12 and were told that was should have the green card in 30-90 days we will see on that, but we did get the stamp, we are in Fla

166300[/snapback]

my wife had her AOS interview in July, and the IO said that she should get her GC in couple weeks. Couple months later, still no GC. i went to immigration office and been told that her name check is pending.

Thanks Kim, Jake for sharing your story and info. It's nice to know we are not the only one in this boat. i'll post anything that may happen with our senators' aide, I plan to email him again and try & get more specific info from him. I don't think it would hurt to contact your senator, the more people working on this maybe someone can get some answers.

i hope you & all of us security check nightmare folks get some good news soon.

Happy upcoming 1st birthday for Joeseph :angry:

166240[/snapback]

Hey again...thanks for the happy wishes for Joseph's 1st bday! I'm so excited, but yet cannot believe my baby is about to be ONE!! Time goes by so fast!

Anyway, we did contact our two senators, and have gotten replies from both of them. THey both responded pretty quickly just to say they received our request for assistance and would inquire and get back with us.

we got another letter today from one of the two of them and she said that the immigration office told her that the background check was pending, but didn't mention when it would be finished. well thank you "captain obvious!!" i actually told her this in my request that i sent her to ask her to inquire about the case. i am going to write her again and ask her to specifically request that the background check be restarted....it has been "out" for over a year with no response...at that point, it is supposed to be restarted. i spoke to an immigration attorney once aboutthis and he said to call him back and pay the beginning fee of like $800 to $1000 and he would help us "request" the background check restart...well, while we can't afford that, i did learn from talking to him that we do have the RIGHT to request a new one....

we will continue on this path and see what happens!!!

kim