K-2 & K-4 Follow to Join Process

I need some help, I have searched USCIS and DOS web sites, Candle and VJ and have not been able to locate any procedural information.

My assumption is that we would need to send a P3 response for the K2 or K4 when ready which would include a DS-230 part1 and the P3 Supplemental Information Sheet.

The question comes up that it is stated that the Follow to Join status is good for 1 year after the visa is issued, it is vague on is it 1 year for the child to be processed in the system and receive their visa or is the receipt of the P3 information within 1 year all that is required.

I also assume once the P3 is received we will have a similar wait time for an interview as we did for the K-1

Here's a little something that may be of help, Lee.

http://www.usvisasupport.com/K4_Visa_Child.html

I don't think either the K2 or K4 visas are issued separately since both are derivatives of the K1 and K3 respectively.

161048[/snapback]

I know we don't need a seperate petition, but we didn't provide the DS-230 yet and I am trying to identify the process required to get the ball rolling so her son can follow.

This is what I have been told, and it comports with some old information I ran across: http://www.kamya.com/intro/k-2.html

Essentially, you are supposed to inform GZ that you are ready for the K-2 to be issued and request the P3 for the child. I have no idea if the length of time between P3 and interview is similar to the K-1. I would suggest an e-mail to GZ. This is from the link:

"Please fax us [GZ]to the attention of the Pre-interview Team the child's name and proper mailing address in Chinese characters, so that we may send her the necessary application forms for processing of her K2 visa. After receipt of her completed forms, we will conduct the necessary name clearances which will take 10 working days to be completed. We will be able to schedule her for an interview only when we received both completed & signed application forms and completed the name clearances."

This is what I have been told, and it comports with some old information I ran across:  http://www.kamya.com/intro/k-2.html

Essentially, you are supposed to inform GZ that you are ready for the K-2 to be issued and request the P3 for the child.  I have no idea if the length of time between P3 and interview is similar to the K-1.  I would suggest an e-mail to GZ.  This is from the link:

"Please fax us [GZ]to the attention of the Pre-interview Team the child's name and proper mailing address in Chinese characters, so that we may send her the necessary application forms for processing of her K2 visa. After receipt of her completed forms, we will conduct the necessary name clearances which will take 10 working days to be completed. We will be able to schedule her for an interview only when we received both completed & signed application forms and completed the name clearances."

161070[/snapback]

Based on that write-up, granted one example, the 'wait' was stated as about six months... Wait for what ?? But based on them using up all 11 months, it seems that this one example was probably somewhat consistent wait for interview as the K1, at that time.

Hmmm ... I thought if you declared a K2 on the K1 129F petition that the P3 package the benficiaries are sent should be for both the K1 and K2.  Do I have the wrong impression?

161090[/snapback]

yes, this should be the case...

but I think Lee is stating 'when received' as meaning at GUZ.. not by him.

But I would still agree with contacting the consulate to move the ball (and request they send P3 anyway, even if you already have it)...

Hmmm ... I thought if you declared a K2 on the K1 129F petition that the P3 package the benficiaries are sent should be for both the K1 and K2.  Do I have the wrong impression?

161090[/snapback]

This is generally correct - the K-1 and K-2 are processed together. Occasionaly, the processing is separated in that the parent returns the P3 for just the parent and interviews first. I had read Lee's post to mean that his fiancee did not submit the P3 for the child ("...we didn't provide the DS-230 yet...").

I appreciate the responses. Frank is correct, we did not submit P3 for her son, in fact, until I arrived for the interview and saw her divorce decree I did not realize she had full custody of her son.

She based her decision to leave her son with family based on Chinese husbands view point of a step child and her family, mom, dad, brothers and sister, will care for her son. Understanding the situation a bit late I have begun working on reuniting our family.

This may be something others may experience, but for now I want to know how GZ processes this so I will know what the time limits are. Much may have changed since the link Frank provided from 2001.

The FAM is fairly specific about the time limits:  http://www.foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam...ure%20visa' :

"...the cutoff date for issuance of a K-2 visa is one year from the date of the issuance of the K-1 visa to the principal alien. After one year, and provided that the alien qualifies, the filing of an immediate relative or second preference petition would be required."

161166[/snapback]

Thanks Frank, I found that one and if the issue date for the K-2 visa is locked at 1 year then it is possible that the P3 would need to be in the system within 6 months of the K-1 issue date so that if the K-2 has a 4-5 month wait for interview we would not run out of time.

Hopefully USCONGUZ can give a bit clearer information on their process.