How many localities of police certificates?

Hi,

My fiancee grew up in Guizhou but studied in Beijing for University for a few years. Does she need a police certificate for both cities? Also, does she need a police certificate for other countries she lived in? (she was in Norway for about 8 months and has been in Australia for about 3 months now).

Has anyone gathered police certificates from multiple localities?

Thanks!

edit: i read somewhere that she would only need it for norway if she lived there for more than a year, but i just wanted to make sure. I'm mostly curious about the University years... how did most of you handle that?

hmm, looking here, it looks like she doesn't need it in Norway because she didn't live there for more than a year. But it does mention that if she lived in another part of China, she would need it. Is China different, and all she needs is the one in her hukou?

Do you know where I can find more info on this? Still a bit unsure about the Norway one. Thanks again :blink:

One copy for china:

[CFL] They told her she can only have one police certificate, not three. But they told her that the one police certificate will have reference to all three places she has lived.

[CFL] Most girls she knew had only one police certificate and they got their visas even though they lived in more than one place since age 16. She does not know of a case of any girl who was able to obtain more than one certificate. She says it is quite impossible to obtain a police certificate from a place that is not where your "Hukou" is located. And the government notary public has told her she needs only one for the US Consulate.

[CFL] My fiancée went to the local police station, here her Hukou book is issued from. There she as able to get a single page report, stating that there are no criminal records for her in all of China.

[CFL] in China the police are a national police system so there really is only "one jurisdiction" in China. Not sure if that is the exact case but that is my understanding. And my fiancée has many friends who were in the same boat as she but got only one police certificate and had their visas approved. And we had no trouble with the Consulate at all on this issue and my fiancée got her visa.

[CFL] ONE will do it. Chinese Hukou is a centralized system, and everyone's personal history record is hooked up with his/her Hukou. Say someone resides in somewhere other than where his/her Hukou is, and a criminal

record is applied to this person, one of the first things the police will check is this person's Hukou, sometimes this person could be sent back to where he/she came from, but this record will be recorded to the person's history data, which is bound to his/her Hukou. Therefore, the personal history can and only can be accessed at the place where a person's Hukou is.

Q.2.2 Police Certificate from other countries?

A.2.2.1

USA?

No, none is available and therefore not required. All of the name checks and background checks take care of the US part.

A.2.2.2

Other countries? Start looking here:

http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html

Thank you so much for that. I couldn't ask for better info :-)

As for Norway, that link you provided also stated that she would need it only if she stayed there for more than a year.

Whew!!! we just jumped through a couple hoops with this process this week, and i thought a few more just popped up. glad to hear that i think we are ok :) Thanks again!