"Don't Worry, you have plenty of time"

I am working on a much more extensive write-up but my wife just finished her interview and we are now at the airport going to Qiqihar.

She got a blue slip but no additional info needed since we had prepared the party membership statement thanks to help of the members here.

The best thing the visa officer said after my wife asked what else they needed. He said nothing and then asked when we were going to America. She said January since that is when my assignment ends.

He said: "Don't worry you have plenty of time." To me that is as good as a pink. My wife is a little disappointed since she was convinced she could somehow convince him to get pink but I keep telling her she did perfect and the Consulate has to follow the law. She is already perking up.

Much more later........

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to know your wife's interview went well. Her visa will be granted. Just as you said, Guangzhou is doing their job.

Since you still plan to leave next January, I just want you know medical report is only valid for six months and visa validity is tied with medical report. So your wife may need to do another medical check-up when she receives call-in-letter. Then bring new medical report and call-in-letter to Guangzhou.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

The call back letter you will get should list the key expiration dates if they are close, but calculate them now. ... and note xiaozhu's point about the expiration of the visa is now tied to the medical expiration. That almost bit us but luckily she was ready to go quickly.

Let us know when she gets the call back letter. It appears these SAO checks are going faster now so want to see if you get that luck as well! xiaozhu has the current record I think

I was orginally told this was going to take 10 months and even with the delay, it should only take about 6 months. Thanks for the heads-up on the medical, that I did not know. Doing the medical again might not be that big of a deal as long as the vaccinations are still good (which I assume they are). My wife is not a fan of shots

I hope to have the full report up in a day or so.

I was orginally told this was going to take 10 months and even with the delay, it should only take about 6 months. Thanks for the heads-up on the medical, that I did not know. Doing the medical again might not be that big of a deal as long as the vaccinations are still good (which I assume they are). My wife is not a fan of shots

I hope to have the full report up in a day or so.

The medical is not well documented as to 6 months or 1 year valid, for immigrations in the states, it is considered to be valid 1 year, as in cases like K-Visa adjusting status, the consulate may simply set the visa expiration to the 1 year anniversary of the medical, so fore example if less than 6 months validity left on the medical, then the visa would be set with less than 6 months validity.

As for vaccinations, the consulate may require the boosters or second shots for some to be completed. Some of the shots are a 2 shot series, first done for visa, and the second shots are expected to be done later. My wife needed to either get the seconds done or be tested for immunity in order to take classes at the local community college.

Let me describe the last two weeks, and while I have done some editing, my wife is the English major and not I, so I apologize for the run-on sentences and other grammar mistakes that is making William Strunk turn over in his grave.

We received the P4 letter on a Tuesday with document intake exactly in exactly two weeks on a Tuesday with the actual interview the next day. So we had two weeks to prepare. While we had been married at the Chinese government office back in December, we had scheduled a ceremony and reception for that coming Saturday, so especially my wife was knee deep in getting stuff ready. In addition, my parents were in town so this wasn¡¯t exactly ideal timing but there was no way I was postponing the interview. As my command of Chinese is limited, my wife needs to make most of the phone calls both for the wedding and now for the interview.

As it happened, right before I left for work that Tuesday; my boss mentioned to me that a week from Monday was a Chinese Holiday. So when my wife called with the news that we had received P4 as I was walking out of the building, it was fresh in mind that the day before our document intake was a holiday. We had planned all along to do the medical the day before document intake but now I was questioning whether the medical centers would be open.

So I had my wife call the Medical Center in Guangzhou (Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel) and yes, they were all closed the entire following weekend and that Monday. I told my wife that we would have to go to Beijing the next week but she asked if we could worry about it next Monday after all the wedding stuff was over. That seemed reasonable as I figured you could do medical in a day in Beijing like you can in Guangzhou.

So the wedding ceremony went off perfect; thanks to a lot of help from our friends and a heck of a lot of work by my wife. I told my wife we would aim to get the medical done in Beijing on Thursday and she should call to make the appointment. On the phone, Beijing (Health Care Center of Beijing International Travel) said that no they could not do it in a day and it took a ¡®few¡¯ days to get the results.

As an aside, while there are seven medical centers in 4 cities where you can get the medical done; only four of them can give you the required vaccinations. So why would you go to the other three sites? Given this is China and ¡°if it doesn¡¯t make sense, everything is normal¡± I guess I shouldn¡¯t be surprised but since in theory the US Consulate is controlling this, I don¡¯t understand but I digress¡­..

Luckily, one of my wife¡¯s friends was still in town from the wedding and we decide her friend should go to Beijing with her (the friend lived in Beijing for a while so knows the city better than my wife). Since I had taken most of the previous week off for the wedding and now I would need to take the entire next week off, it was best that I not take off anytime that week. Since my wife had to be at the clinic by 8 AM the next day, the best option was to take the overnight train to Beijing from Dalian that gets in around 6 AM. So off my wife and her friend went.

So my wife was able to get the medical done on Tuesday but was told that she could not get the results until Thursday. I told her and she asked to see if we could pay an expedite fee but they told her that it would take until Thursday. Another aside ¨C why can Guangzhou do this in a day but Beijing needs three days? The best I can tell is it is the same company running both sites. I think what they were waiting on was the blood tests but I honestly don¡¯t know. My wife has some friends and family in Beijing so she was able to visit with them and picked up the results around 10 AM on Thursday. She then flew back to Dalian Thursday afternoon, medical results in hand. We are ready for Guangzhou.

Oh, did I mention that we had a scheduled a second wedding reception for two weeks after the first in Qiqihar (her hometown) l. So we needed to be in Qiqihar as quickly as we could since she had to help her father with preparations. We decided to fly out Wednesday afternoon. So as we debated when to leave by Friday night I told my wife that she need to call Mr. Yang about trying to get a room.

Now I know a lot of people have had luck with the Yangs and my wife being Chinese hates to spend money so I figured if we could get a room and save some money that would be good. She called Mr. Yang and he just was not that helpful. He said he could not guarantee anything but a bedroom in a three bedroom apartment. Even my wife agreed that was a non-starter. I am not sure if the fact that we were only staying two nights was the issue or that we called at relatively the last minuteor something else?

And while I would be perfectly happy to pay $200 a night to stay at the Westin since it was only for 2 nights in anticipation of an actual western-style soft bed. My wife would have none of spending that kind of money. Someone here had recommended the Jianguo Hotel . The rate was a little under $100/night and it had good reviews on Trip Advisor so I made the reservation. The Jianguo Hotel is just up the street from the Consulate on the other side of the Ikea. It is rated 4-Star and I would say that is fair. The room is clean, the lobby is nice, the staff speaks English and the breakfast in the morning has western items. The only negative is it has hard Chinese beds. If there is one thing I hate about China is I don¡¯t think there is a comfortable mattress in the entire country.

So we had the hotel and the flights booked so we were ready to go. So we flew out on Monday afternoon and got into Guangzhou early evening. Now I had started to see some signs my wife was nervous but the kicker was when she agreed we should take a cab from the airport. I had looked up online that you should be able to take the subway from the airport or alternatively, you can take a bus( I think #6) However both would require us to deal with typical Chinese crowds so she suggested we take a cab. My wife¡¯s suggestion of anything but the lowest cost alternative confirmed for me that she was apprehensive about the next day. Another aside ¨C I know circumstances prevent it for some but I can¡¯t imagine letting my wife go through this without me here.

Now my wife had called a friend from her hometown who lived in Guangzhou and he told her the cab would cost 50RMB. It actually cost 120RMB but I did follow the route the driver took on my phone GPS and the route he took was reasonable, so if you take a cab form the airport, plan on spending about that much.

We met her friend for dinner and then we decided to get foot massages at a place just around the corner from the consulate. While I was already tired, I figured it was best to keep my wife occupied rather than sit in the room and be nervous about the next day. So by the time we got the foot massage and then had a drink at the hotel bar it was 12:30 and we went back to the room. The best thing about this strategy was we both managed to fall straight asleep.

The day of the document intake we woke about 9 AM and went down to get some breakfast, We then came back up to the room and I went over all the documentation with her one more time. I had assembled the paperwork late last week . This is where Candle for Love was valuable as I had an idea of how to do it and what we really needed. I think my wife thought most of this was overkill but she soon changed her mind. J

We walked over to the consulate about Noon and there was already a significant line. I went to the front to ask what the correct line was but the guard said he didn¡¯t speak any English so he then asked the first person in line who translated and said yes this was the correct line. Aside ¨C this is the American Consulate right?

So the immigrant visa lines are about the first three lines on the left, the rest are for I think non-immigrant visa. Again what struck me as strange is the signs had no English on them.

So we waited in line and met the couple behind us which was a Chinese now American citizen from Alabama with his wife who spoke little to no English. My wife made friends with his wife. Oh, the one thing we realized at the hotel was we did not have the original interview letter. I had scanned the P4 packet as soon as we got it. (Something I had done all along ¨C I have essentially my wife¡¯s entire immigration file on my laptop). I had made copies of the letter and so I told her we could use that. This made my wife nervous and told her it was my fault even thought my best guess is we never got it back after the medical. The guard accepted the copy without comment.

So we went up to the fourth floor. None had approached us outside though there were a bunch of people trying to handout stuff on the fourth floor but if there is one advantage to being 6¡¯4¡± and 250+ is I gave them all my best menacing look and no one bothered my wife or me J.

So I stuck with my wife until we got to the security barrier and then went to the ¡°World¡¯s Most Famous Coffee Shop¡± to wait for her return. There was one other American there so I introduced myself and we started to talk. His finance and her daughter were there for a K-1/K-2 and this was only his second visit to China. We started to talk and I ordered a coke for 49 RMB. A Chinese woman next to me joked that the seat was 49 RMB but the drink was free. It was only later that I realized that I managed to spend $7.50 on a Coke and some crackers but I wasn¡¯t focused on it. I was just glad to have somebody to talk to.

She later told me you have to take shoes, belts off to get through consulate security. You also can¡¯t take anything electronic including a cell phone. However, you can leave the cell phone with security but my wife just gave her cell phone to me. Now I recognize many of you don¡¯t have a cell phone in China but it might have been easier to let her keep it so she could call me once she was done.

So my wife came out about 2:30 or 3:00 so she was in the consulate about 2 to 3 hours. She said when it was her turn the women asked her:

1. Have you even been to America ¨C No

2. Are you a member of the Communist Party - Yes

3. Are you still a member ¨C Yes

My wife then asked her if she wanted the statement we had prepared but she said No, she should give it to the VO is they ask the next morning. Up until that point, I don¡¯t think my wife realized why I had insisted on the statement but again thanks to Candle I had a copy of what they were going to ask for and realized it was best we were prepared.

Now this is where it gets interesting. I had found some binders in Testco that I used to prepare the paperwork. The first binder had what I knew they would ask for:

1. Appointment Letter

2. Wife Visa Photos

3. Wife Passport Page

4. My Passport Page ¨Cthey didn¡¯t take that

5. Wife Police Report (No Criminal Certifcate ¨Cthis is what my wife calls it) (Notarial)

6. Wife Birth Certificate (Notarial)

7. Our Marriage Cert (Notarial)

This list is from the Index page that I included in the binder

I know we included the Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate in the I-130 but they took it again.

I had also prepared a separate binder for the I-864, again from the index page:

1. Signed I-864

2. Certificate of Employment from Employer showing base salary

3. 2010 1040 w/W-2 and W-7 (Joint)

4. 2009 1040 (Single) w/W-2

5. 2008 1040 (Single) w/w-2

6. 2010 State Return (Joint)

7. 2009 State Return (Single)

8. 2008 StateReturn (Single)

9. Last three of my Paystubs received as of interview

10. Three Paystubs submitted with I-864 with P3 packet

Even though I sent in the I-864 with P3, they took it again plus my three 1040 and the state returns. They did not take the paystubs or the employment letter. I am in China on a work assignment from my US based employer and without getting into detail, my employer helps me in doing my taxes. One decision independent of the immigrant visa was that we would file state taxes. I included it here more because it helps to establish domicile in the US rather than needing it to prove my income. They also did not take my Employment letter.

They then asked my wife for the DS-230 which we sent in with P3. While it was not in the main binder, I had included it in a separate binder. The women said something about not being able to find the paperwork. So in other words, all the paperwork I sent in with the P3 essentially was lost or misplaced. Moral of the story is bring everything. This is where I think my wife started to realize that being as organized as we were had a purpose.

Also while they were sitting there, she was showing the binder of our photos. Since all of our photos are digital, I created a Microsoft Word Document with captions underneath giving the date, the place, and who is in the picture. They all thought I did a good job. The sound you hear is me giving myself a pat on the back. J

My wife said they opened the medical file in front of her and actually gave her back the envelope. She still has the X-rays which are for the POE. I don¡¯t understand that but again this is China, it is not supposed to make sense. So I guess we should have just left the X-Rays at home. Has anyone ever been asked for the X-Rays at the consulate?

As for what my wife calls the ¡°no criminal certificate¡±, there happened to be a woman there who also works for my company. My wife actually met her in Beijing when they were doing the medical. She has lived in Australia, Poland , and a couple cities in China. She got a police report from all those places but was then told she didn¡¯t need all that. My wife just got the police certificate from here in Dalian (where her Hokou is) and that seems to be OK.

I wasn¡¯t clear when you paid the fee but I made sure my wife had enough RMB on her to pay it at document intake. Sure enough, she had to pay it at the document intake.

As she came out, she went up to the Chinese guy from Birmingham as his wife is also a member of the Party but they did not know it was going to be an issue. So I told him I would email him what they need to prepare as a statement. As I said, I have my wife¡¯s whole file on my laptop and I was happy to help. It surprised me how little this guy knew about the process and I have to thank Candle again for all the info. I think this is the second critical aspect of being at the interview. It seems like Guangzhou allows the document intake to act as a pre-interview and gives you some opportunity to get the needed documents that are missing before the interview the next morning.

So we went back to the hotel, went and got some dinner, and then my wife was tired so we made it an early night.

We got up the next morning at 6 AM. Well I got up and took a shower and then woke my wife up around 6:30. One advantage to being as busy as we have is sleep has not been a problem for either of us even if we were nervous. So we stopped by the hotel breakfast for something quick to eat and then walked to the consulate. Again, the correct line was on the left but the first line was I think call-backs or people who had to submit more info.

So my wife and everybody else had a ticket with their number stapled to their appointment letter. So one thing I did not realize was that while it really doesn¡¯t matter what time you get there for the interview there is an advantage to being early for the document intake as that will get you a low number and make the next day quicker as well. However, I estimate you probably only save an hour or two so if you stand in-line an extra hour before document intake, it is somewhat of a wash unless you want to leave soon after the interview which we did. That wasn¡¯t an issue but I am getting ahead of myself.

So for some reason, the line moved really slowly and it was hot and standing in a line that was not moving was really bugging me. So we were standing in line with the couple from Alabama and the wives suggested we got grab a place in line up on the fourth floor to get through security while they got through the line outside. How this works is the guard downstairs checks your passport and appointment letter and gives them a green card that then lets you go through the second security line on the fourth floor. Any way, it was completely unnecessary for us to hold them a place in line but it gave me something to do so I guess there was a method to my wife¡¯s madness J

So the guy from Alabama says he is going to the Starbucks across the street from the Ikea and halfway back to our hotel to wait and my wife suggests I go with him. The reason for this is for probably the only time in my life, the coffee is actually cheaper at Starbucks than at the consulate coffee shop. So we go to Starbucks and wait. This is maybe 8:00 or 8:15. So the part I have mentioned yet is we need to be in Qiqiha¡¯er for the weekend so we had 2:15 plane tickets. Without going into detail , this flight was our best option. I told my wife when we made the reservation that no matter what she had to promise me that she would worry only about the interview and if we missed the flight I promised we would figure out an alternate way to get to Qiqiha¡¯er no matter what the cost. She agreed.

So my new friend and I had two cups of coffee and at 10:30, I told him I was going to the hotel to check out. If took me all of fifteen minutes to check out and I was back to Starbucks by 10:45 or so. Right after 11 this guys¡¯s wife calls and says they are coming over and they both got blue.

So when they get there she shows me the blue slip and it says no more info needed but they need to do more processing due to her being CCP. I think mission accomplished, this is what I had hoped. My wife is upset because she was convinced that somehow she should have been able to convince the VO that she should get pink. We had talked about this but in a true Venus/Mars moment prior to the interview, she told me to stop being so rational and be emotional and tell her she was going to get pink so I told her she was going to get pink. It now has been a few days and she is still a little upset when we talk about it but I think the one thing that helped was when I told her that the VO would probably get fired if he didn¡¯t follow the law. Being Chinese, I think she figures there is always a way around the problem if you say the right thing or know the right person.

What was interesting though I felt bad was the couple we were with not only got a blue slip but there CCP statement was not accepted. Now this guy prior to the day before had no idea being a party member was an issue. The night before they had a wrote a statement based upon the one my wife had prepared and had put together a resume though the resume was very basic with just jobs and dates without any detail. His wife works for a state-run business in some level of management though I don¡¯t know enough about Chinese companies to understand how high in management she is. What I told him was that I would guess they wanted a much more detailed resume and that is why they did not accept the statement and resume. So they have to send something in. In my wife¡¯s case, she said the VO pulled out the form with the a-g criteria, compared it to her statement, asked someone else and then agreed that the statement was sufficient. He did not take her r¨¦sum¨¦. My wife runs her own business and is an English teacher so my only guess is that if you have a job that appears to be more closely associated with the government, you might get higher scrutiny but I was surprised they did not accept this guys wife¡¯s statement.

So this was my wife¡¯s interview:

1. Hello How are you? Good morning sir. I told her to call the VO sir or ma¡¯am.

2. Can you speak English ¨C Yes (Actually my wife tells me her English is better than mine J )

3. When did you meet your husband ¨C She tells the Nagging Wife bar story, I asked her if he laughed, she said he was serious.

4. Who does he work for?

5. Where does he live ¨C gives state

6. Where in state ¨C names the city

7. He works in China ¨C Yes

8. When will he go back to America ¨C January (this is when my assignment ends)

9. Where will you live ¨C state as above

10. Why there ¨C that is where he worked and we will move back

11. How long have you been married ¨C gives date and then does math ¨C about six months

12. What was your major? ¨C English Teaching

13. Asks for photos ¨C looks at couple pages (of about 14) and gives back

14. Are you CCP (in English) ¨C Yes

15. She gives him statement, he does the comparison and then says ¡°That¡¯s fine¡±

At this point he pulls out blue and she says ¡°I am so disappointed, what is the problem?¡±

¡°You need more processing. ¡°

¡°Do you need more documents?¡±

¡°No¡±

¡°What should I do? ¡°

At this point, he says ¡°you are not leaving to January right? ¡°

¡°Yes. ¡°

¡°Don¡¯t worry, you have plenty of time.¡±

¡°Thank You¡±

I should also probably mention that my various documentation shows not only my home address (my home is presently rented) but an online mail forwarding address in another state that is more-or-less my official US address though my residency is in the first state. Some of the paper work also shows my company¡¯s corporate headquarters¡¯ address. Confused? I am guessing the VO might have been as well which may have led to the questioning about where we were going to live. I should have probably prepared a document explaining this as it might have cut down on the questions.

She also went to Window 30 which I guess is in the Info window and asked again but was told ¡°At this point, I am not supposed to say anything else on your case.¡±

So we went back to the hotel to get our bags, took a cab to the airport (only 110 RMB this time) and were therein plenty of time for our 2:15 flight. I am guessing we will have the visa in August or so.

Great info!

A few comments and questions.

1. The Beijing hospital used to do expedited so they have changed for some reason.

2. I think you don't have to have the vaccinations at the same place but it may add overall time and seems less efficient.

3. Yes, xrays for POE

A Question on an interview question:

14. Are you CCP (in English) – Yes

Did the VO actually use the acronym "CCP" or your just writing in brief form and they did say it completely out? Sometimes I see this as "CPC" (Communist Party of China) so curious as to their exact wording.

----

Yes, I think the result is as expected and the VOs comment is generally good news that they think it will be cleared by Jan... but you can only wait and see.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

Great info!

A few comments and questions.

1. The Beijing hospital used to do expedited so they have changed for some reason.

2. I think you don't have to have the vaccinations at the same place but it may add overall time and seems less efficient.

3. Yes, xrays for POE

14. Are you CCP (in English) – Yes

Did the VO actually use the acronym "CCP" or your just writing in brief form and they did say it completely out? Sometimes I see this as "CPC" (Communist Party of China) so curious as to their exact wording.

----

Yes, I think the result is as expected and the VOs comment is generally good news that they think it will be cleared by Jan... but you can only wait and see.

Yes - all you need is the yellow international vaccinations booklet with the needed shots. You can make this more efficient by getting the shots ahead of time - doesn't need to be at an approved facility.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yes - all you need is the yellow international vaccinations booklet with the needed shots. You can make this more efficient by getting the shots ahead of time - doesn't need to be at an approved facility.

I thought I had read here where others tried to get vaccinations done elsewhere and the Guangzhou approved medical facility would not accept them. They had to have the vaccinations again. We possibly could have gotten the vaccinations done here in Dalian at a Western Clinic but I did not pursue it because I did think they would be accepted.

14. Are you CCP (in English) ¨C Yes

You are right, the VO did not use CCP, that is my shorthand. I think he asked if she was a member of the Communist Party.

What I found interesting is he asked her in English as almost every other report I have read here was this question was asked in Chinese. Now my wife is fluent in spoken English and we were pretty upfront about her party membership. I checked 'Yes' in Part II of the DS-230.

I would think they normally ask in Chinese so later you can not say you did not understand the question. I also know there is a specific proper name for the party in Chinese (though I don't know what it is) which if they ask you in Chinese, there can be no mistaking what they are referring to.

I thought I had read here where others tried to get vaccinations done elsewhere and the Guangzhou approved medical facility would not accept them. They had to have the vaccinations again. We possibly could have gotten the vaccinations done here in Dalian at a Western Clinic but I did not pursue it because I did think they would be accepted.

Yes - without the yellow booklet, they are not accepted. Of course, your solution works just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Argghhhhhhhh.........

So when we got home last night, the the building reception desk calls and says we have an EMS package. No packages expected. It can't be GUZ already?

My wife goes down to get it, "Yep it is from Guangzhou". They need a detailed resume from my wife. The one they said they didn't need two weeks ago.

So my wife and I will spend time today and tonight revising her resume to address specifically what they ask for in the resume.

We will then email it tonight. Normally, I am not a man of few words but for now, all I can say is "Argghhhhhhh....."