China marriage certificate translation

Hi to all CFL members,

My wife Fang and I just got married in Wuhan, Hubei, China last month. I came back to US and brought our two marriage certificate (2 red books) with me. I would like to know where I could get them translated and notized in US? Thank you very much.

Ricky

Hi to all CFL members,

My wife Fang and I just got married in Wuhan, Hubei, China last month. I came back to US and brought our two marriage certificate (2 red books) with me. I would like to know where I could get them translated and notized in US? Thank you very much.

Ricky

You can do it in the Chinese consulate. I dont kwon where you live, you can check it up on internet and find out the nearest one to you.

Hi to all CFL members,

Ricky

Uh, the best, fastest and cheapest place was in China. They would have prepare notarized copies of the official translations of both. You only needed those (and your little red book).

But back to what is: Call your nearest Chinese consulate and ask for their rates.

Wow. you left with both of them? If you left one with your wife, she could at least have it translated in Wuhan (my lass is there, she could have shown her where).

FWIW, you don't have to have it translated by any Chinese Consulate in USA. The 'official translation' requirements are a bit loose, actually, for the USCIS.

So you'll need to find a translator, and a notary public to certify the translation.

Hi to all CFL members,

Ricky

oh my,you brought two with you? To tell you the truth, you should give hers to her so that she can go to a notary public to certify in Wuhan.

Thanks for all the answers. Does my wife need your either of our marriage certifcate when she has her medical exam or at the interview? One more question, my wife doesn't have birth certicate, can she use her account in China (HuKou Bu) instead? Thank you very much.

Thanks for all the answers. Does my wife need your either of our marriage certifcate when she has her medical exam or at the interview? One more question, my wife doesn't have birth certicate, can she use her account in China (HuKou Bu) instead? Thank you very much.

When you go to CR1 or K3, you must file the copy of your marriage certificate and her birth certificate which she can get the original ones at local notary office in Wuhan.

Please tell her to go to follow the information on 001.com.

This is the link:

http://usa.bbs.net/bbs/01/index.html

I am sure she can get information which she wants.

Wow. you left with both of them? If you left one with your wife, she could at least have it translated in Wuhan (my lass is there, she could have shown her where).

FWIW, you don't have to have it translated by any Chinese Consulate in USA. The 'official translation' requirements are a bit loose, actually, for the USCIS.

So you'll need to find a translator, and a notary public to certify the translation.

Wait, now I'm getting confused, a notary really can't certify the translation itself, they can only certify the statement of accuracy from the person who translated the document, and that the marriage cert. copy is from the original, correct?

I-130;

'Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.'

So does the 'translator's certification' then HAVE to involve a notary?

Just wondering...b/c the requirements, at least at the I-130 stage, seemed a bit loose to me too...

If you know someone conversant in both languages simply hafe them translate it and certify it for you, NO need for notary etc.

#

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Certifying is simply signing it and noting that they are conversant on both languages.

Yup, sorry, if yer stateside, a notary is not required, just the translators statement. My bad - This isn't the first time I've been wrong about the specific thing.

• 1 month later...

Ok, well I wanted to follow up on this thread today with my experience on this topic. ( I didn't want to mention anything until I received news about my application..but since I did, here it goes:)

My SO and I weren't planning on this whole immigration thingy when we married last year and never obtained the white book. I translated and certified my wedding booklet myself* and my application was just approved, so I guess it was 'ok'. We are going back to his hometown for our anniversary so I will probaly get a white book for good measure (for the interview perhaps?), but apparently at least for the I-130, you can indeed do it stateside...or more correctly, it has at least been done before w/o the whitebook.

(*disclaimer, I worked as a translator while in China, so I pretty much knew what I was doing, but just wasn't sure if it would rejected for 'a conflict of interest' or any other random reason)

Edited by baobeizhu (see edit history)

My wife and I had our I-130 and I-129F denied based on the fact that we tried to send copies of our original marriage certificate along with a notarized translation.

We had to supply a notarial certificate from the notarial office in the city where we got married (Zhengzhou, Henan).

The quote from our denial letter was:

All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates.

So while I guess you can take a chance getting it translated and notarized here, I would suggest against it.

After rereading baobeizhu's post right above mine I just want to add that while you can probably get away with a lot of things 99.99% of the time in this process, I speak from experience when I say that being that 0.01% REALLY sucks.

I would do anything to get back the extra 4 months that I have been away from my wife and son. If I had known to spend an extra couple of weeks sending documents back and forth with DHL, I would have.