Snow in Wuhan, V2

Heya Fellas. Got a bit of free time on my hands now, so will write up a bit about that Wuhan Snow.

Short Version - WUHAN COLD! SNOW BAD!

Long Version.

OMG - Snow in Wuhan. I was told it hadn't snowed like this (heavy snow, need snowplow or humans with shovels) in about 55 years.

I'm not a snow bunny, but mostly I think snow is nice to look at.

After that first 5 minutes of looking, of course, there's the rest of the cr@p about it, ya? Melting Snow, gets into shoes as cold water once you step through it. Shutdown of taxi service whilst they clean the snow out of the roads. Delay on public transportation schedules (bus, train, airlines).

It had snowed heavily the day before I came into China, and was packed up high on the ground when I came in. Oooooh - snow pretty ! - my first basic thought as I trekked through the airport.

I met her and one of her uncles and a youngish english speaking cousin at the airport, we go straight to Hotel on the River, very close to her house and relatives. Her uncle was driving newish Hyundai Sonata SUV, and we were talking about the snow and how happy YanYan was that I made it to Wuhan safely. Mostly, the roads were already clear, but this fella was driving slow - he was in shell shock with the snow as much as I was.

They had arranged a hotel stay at - TaDa ! Howard Johnson's Wuhan. When I saw the sign on the outside, I fell over laughing, knowing about the bankruptcy stuff with HoJo's in the USA. OMG - the inside was amazing ! 5 star hotel (chinese rating, 3 star European star system).

We had a nice visit in Wuhan, though I pitched my Bass Suede Walking shoes right after I found a pair of 90 League Hiking Boots. I'll miss those shoes - they've been around the world for me, but it was time for them to die a frozen death. The hiking boots fit mostly, but rubbed my ankles raw. I had packed a small first aid kit, complete with elastic gauze (for my knee, just in case it popped out again), so I was able to stay mobile with these boots.

Wuhan really not known for 'picture perfect snow wonderland' type of place to visit, but most places we went to were coping with it. The hotel room had real working heaters - we cranked it up to 30 degrees each night (man, this was a luxury, let me tell you).

We made big side trip to Chengdu for a few days, and returned back to Wuhan the morning of the 30th, staying in the airport there as I had a flight back leaving at 6 PM.

It had snowed again whilst we were gone to Chengdu. Snow Pretty, Right?

My 6 PM flight didn't make at all. I went to the China Southern 'fix me' desk (desk 18, btw, if you get stuck) - the CZ staff found me a flight out on ShenZhen Airlines (ZH) . I had to make it to Guangzhou by 8 PM to make connecting flight to LAX.

So the ZH flight was late as well, I finally arrived in GUZ officially at 8:55 PM - was no way I could make the 9:00 PM flight back to LAX.

I talked with the head purser on the flight, during the flight, and they told me where to go afterwards to have my ticket changed.

I went to the big CZ 'fix me' desk at the Baiyun airport (around Gate J, if you need it!) and they listened to my story about SNOW IN WUHAN, delayed flights, blah blah blah, and got me reticketed . Of course, CZ not fly on Thursdays, so I must stay in CAN two days.

The weather is cold here in Guangzhou at the moment, as well - it supposedly is the coldest temperature since last 60 years. At least it's not snowing.

I checked the weather reports for Houston, thankfully I can get some sun when I return.

Wuhan Cold ! Snow Bad !!

Darnell,

Know the HoJo's well. I believe it's the newest "best" hotel in Wuhan. Wuhan also has 2 Holiday Inn's, and a Ramada (although I will tell you Ramada made me mad because they never gave me any points or airmiles for my 100+ days I've stayed there in the last 2 years).

So what sites did you see in Wuhan? Yellow Crane tower? Wuhan Plaza? Walmart? I've actually been told that a Dairy Queen just opened there too! Seriously though, I would love to see photos of the snow in Wuhan. I was there the end of last Jan, and we went to east lake. I have photos of wearing a light jacket..

Darnell,

Know the HoJo's well. I believe it's the newest "best" hotel in Wuhan. Wuhan also has 2 Holiday Inn's, and a Ramada (although I will tell you Ramada made me mad because they never gave me any points or airmiles for my 100+ days I've stayed there in the last 2 years).

So what sites did you see in Wuhan? Yellow Crane tower? Wuhan Plaza? Walmart? I've actually been told that a Dairy Queen just opened there too! Seriously though, I would love to see photos of the snow in Wuhan. I was there the end of last Jan, and we went to east lake. I have photos of wearing a light jacket..

Sites? hahaha - no time for sites ! too busy getting things done, meeting with families, and trying to keep my head down and not get snowed on ! Snow Bad ! Wuhan Cold ! We did spend many hours inside, if that helps?

Light jacket? Buddy, I was told to 'dress warm' so I stocked up on Winter LongJohns , warm flannel pajamas, and heavy weight exercise clothes. Snow Bad ! Wuhan Cold ! was between 22 and 39 most of my stay there.

SNOW BAD ! WUHAN COLD ! (Repeat for emphasis).

FWIW, if you want points in the future, switch to ctrip.com, handle your bookings there.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Sites? hahaha - no time for sites ! too busy getting things done, meeting with families, and trying to keep my head down and not get snowed on ! Snow Bad ! Wuhan Cold ! We did spend many hours inside, if that helps?

Light jacket? Buddy, I was told to 'dress warm' so I stocked up on Winter LongJohns , warm flannel pajamas, and heavy weight exercise clothes. Snow Bad ! Wuhan Cold ! was between 22 and 39 most of my stay there.

SNOW BAD ! WUHAN COLD ! (Repeat for emphasis).

FWIW, if you want points in the future, switch to ctrip.com, handle your bookings there.

LOL. I know it really cold in Wuhan. Been hearing this from my wife all week. Her family's apartment is located in the Qingshan Area, and I have been there and it's been cold. But nothing like you are experiencing! My wife got her shoes wet, and as you know most chinese don't have dryers (or oven, or my wife doesn't have a hair dryer), they got the wet and couldn't get them dry. I could really feel her pain as to how miserable it's been there the last week.

I really enjoy Wuhan, and think you will have a wonderful time there in your future travels. East lake is very peaceful, and there is much to do. Even walking around the Wuhan Plaza and the shopping street impressed me (although it would be so terrible now!!).

[off-subject rant]

As for the Ramada, I could tell you the story behind it, but it's difficult. Needless to say, they never did what they promised, and a call to Ramada's headquarters confirmed they did not participate in any program to do so. I've argued with them, but never to any affect.

Oh well, I guess I can tell you that some dealings (on a professional level) with the Chinese have been a little difficult to say the least (especially when it comes time to sign papers at the completion of a project). So I just take those things in stride...

[/off subject rant]

Anyways, congrats again!! I'll definately like to talk to you privately about your experiences in Wuhan..

• 4 weeks later...

After 3 weeks of being sick with the flu, I've finally retrieved the photos. Here's the link - please only view if you like SNOW...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...m&album=377

Thanks for the pictures!!

I spent a few days at Chengdu, great spaghetti, enjoyed the water fountain, and the airport was not bad at all. Funny to see snow there, when we there in June is was well over 95-100F!!

Mark and feng!! :)

After 3 weeks of being sick with the flu, I've finally retrieved the photos. Here's the link - please only view if you like SNOW...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...m&album=377

Well Darnell welcome home hope by now you have some Tejas soil under your feets

O what a beautiful day we'er havin in TEXAS aka "Gods Country"

a tiny bit on the windy side..... but lots of sun shine, clear blue sky and bout 14c or 56f

I do love snow but your pics look like they were taken through a window. No skiing? No sledding? No snowball fights? It's great to have four seasons!!!!

Sorry Oscar, Wuhan just isn't known as a 'snow season' kinda town.

It's like being in Dallas after a 2 inch snowfall @4:00 AM.

The local drivers don't know what to do to drive in the snow.

The City doesn't have big snow moving gear.

The city doesn't have enough trained crew for the non-existent snow moving gear.

If you've lived through snow a bit, well, you probably take all the 'snow-removal-process' stuff for granted.

I'm guessing you also missed the big International News Bulletin about Train Stoppages, Airline Reschedules, and Riots in Central China due to the Snow (but hey, I could be wrong). While you were busy missing it, I was busy living through it. Not A Pretty Sight.

Wuhan Cold ! Snow Bad !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Brrrr! I get cold just looking at it. I don't know which is worse, Freezing snow and rain or the heat of GUZ in the summertime!

Mike - I can handle (and did ! ) the heat of GZ during the summertime, it's just like the heat in Houston during the summertime. 105 degrees, 120 percent humidity.

What I can't handle is the lack of HEATERS at the new Baiyun airport on January 30th/31st. That sucked big time.

... I'm guessing you also missed the big International News Bulletin about Train Stoppages, Airline Reschedules, and Riots in Central China due to the Snow (but hey, I could be wrong). ...
Yep, wrong. I posted here about it as did others. When the sun shines you wear sunglasses and sunscreen, when it rains you use umbrellas and splash the puddles, when it snows you go sliding and have snowball fights... all of that happens in Chicagoland. Gawd bless four distinct seasons!

Sorry it dampened your trip. :)